Harry Maguire | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Varane, Dalot and Shaw are fairly quick so I do not think it is an issue of Maguire being that slow. Maguire is not slow once he gets going as I am sure I have seen him put a fairly good sprint. I know that Bruno is our captain and one of our better players but from day one I have said that I do not think he is a the ideal player to play the way Ajax played and the way ETH wants to play. Now if he wants to change his expectations then it is a different story. Somebody should be able to hold the ball and keep possession of it under pressure.

Maguire has improved, but still makes a couple of mistakes most games, luckily they haven't been punished recently.

I like how he hasn't shrunk, and he has improved. But for me, still not quite the level needed.

I thought he was good especially earlier on when he intercepted and passed it to Rashford and sprinted dow to the Luton box. Rashford should have passed as he was completely unmarked and it could have been 3-0 and game over.

From the highlights he was poor.

Got caught time and time again jumping out of defence and getting nowhere near the ball, could have got sent off, missed a great chance from a corner but did score a tap in.

He’s still oafish for me but I admire the fact that after all the criticism from the media he shrugs it off and actually tries, fair play to him.

Top class.

Think this morning West Ham were rumoured to be offering 15m in the summer. Double that lads then We can start negotiating.

He was a mountain today. I have been one of his biggest critics but kudos to him for turning it around. He is immense now.

This is the Maguire we need. He was all over the pitch in the later part. Centre Forward, left wing, right wing, centre back and in midfield. Sometimes all in the same movement and occasionally all at the same time as well.

Man of the match yesterday.

Absolute rock at the back for us, saw that young lad through the game and kept a lid on some of the madness in defence.

The way he has come back from the deplorable criticism he has faced is so admirable.

One of our players who you feel genuinely cares game after game. Really liked the look of the Maguire/Kambwala partnership and we will need it to continue for a few games you would imagine.

Knew he reminded me of somebody against the Dippers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top class today carrying a makeshift defence around him, one of the few that deserves to be in that final.

He has provided that stability in recent weeks. It is very tempting to keep him for his attitude and character, but ultimately if we get our recruitment right then he will probably go.

Says a lot about the man that he went straight over to the Coventry players to shake their hands after the shoot out. That is in contrast to tits like Antony who wanted to rub it in their faces.

For me he is quite low down on the list of players I want to see go right now.

He has provided that stability in recent weeks. It is very tempting to keep him for his attitude and character, but ultimately if we get our recruitment right then he will probably go.
If United get recruitment right and make the right sales then you’d probably say move him on. But not now because he’s a bad player but because he has some value. And ultimately he’s probably not good enough to be part of a rebuilt team so get the good value for him. Something United haven’t done very well for a long time.

My view on it is Utd need to build a new centre back partnership next season and I don't think he can realistically be part of that plan if he wants to play regularly and neither can Varane.

I don't see Maguire as being part of that partnership long term his best years are behind him, injuries are starting to creep in and I think this summer could be a good time to sell him and reinvest that money into someone younger that can build a partnership with Martinez (if he can stay fit).

That isn't a knock against Maguire and if he wasn't in the last 12 months of his contract I might say keep him but the fact he is I think changes things slightly as the club can't keep letting players go on a free.

I also think for Maguire a few seasons away from the intense scrutiny of Utd might do him some good. He had 2 really tough years with us which probably did a lot of damage to his reputation taking the captaincy off him I think has done him the world of good.

To me he was the MOTM. His dribble from deep inside our own half was top class too. If we have a quick DM like Hargreaves, Maguire can still be useful. I will not sell him this summer but maybe next summer?

I admire his character for what he`s been through, maybe keep another year and get rid of Lindelof, Evans and Varane because of his injury problems.

I admire his character for what he`s been through, maybe keep another year and get rid of Lindelof, Evans and Varane because of his injury problems.
Yes now he starts with Martinez for sure. I would also get rid of Varane, Evans and Lindelof but Lindelof is now a utility squad player only.

To me he was the MOTM. His dribble from deep inside our own half was top class too. If we have a quick DM like Hargreaves, Maguire can still be useful. I will not sell him this summer but maybe next summer?

Would you give him a new contract this summer?

Current deal expires next summer, some reports suggest the club have a 1 year option to extend it.

Would you give him a new contract this summer?

Current deal expires next summer, some reports suggest the club have a 1 year option to extend it.
Yes I would because right now he is the number 1 choice CB. Martinez is still injured and Kambwala is only 19 years of age. He is better than Varane, Evans and Lindelof now. Unless we got another CB that is miles better than him, I would keep him but not on a ridiculous wage like they gave to Rashford. With Maguire, even at his worst, no one can accuse of not putting a maximum effort.
I was all out to sell him last summer and full credit to him he has turn it around. He looks like the Captain he never was before. When ashford told him to feck off when Ole was the manager and nothing happened to Rashford I knew his time as captain was up. Keane would have choked Rashford. Maguire is big enough physically to do that.

Yes I would because right now he is the number 1 choice CB. Martinez is still injured and Kambwala is only 19 years of age. He is better than Varane, Evans and Lindelof now. Unless we got another CB that is miles better than him, I would keep him but not on a ridiculous wage like they gave to Rashford. With Maguire, even at his worst, no one can accuse of not putting a maximum effort.
I was all out to sell him last summer and full credit to him he has turn it around. He looks like the Captain he never was before. When ashford told him to feck off when Ole was the manager and nothing happened to Rashford I knew his time as captain was up. Keane would have choked Rashford. Maguire is big enough physically to do that.

Well it’s unlikely he accepts a pay cut he’s reported to be on around £200k a week which by my guess probably makes him amongst the top 5-10 best paid CBs in the league. So keeping him would be expensive in terms of wages. Varane and Evans probably go on free transfers this summer, if Evans decides to try and play 1 more year they may offer him a new deal.

Easy to be number 1 when the other 5 are injured. If everyone was fit would he start the cup final? I’d say thats 50/50 but on merit he should.

He was in a tough spot as captain for the last 2 years. His own performance levels dropped massively and as captain that has got to be hard as your ability to pull someone up for their poor showing is reduced.

I just feel it’s time to move on if we can.

Buy a partner for Martinez then have Lindelof, Kambwala and Evans as your back ups.

Well it’s unlikely he accepts a pay cut he’s reported to be on around £200k a week which by my guess probably makes him amongst the top 5-10 best paid CBs in the league. So keeping him would be expensive in terms of wages. Varane and Evans probably go on free transfers this summer, if Evans decides to try and play 1 more year they may offer him a new deal.

Easy to be number 1 when the other 5 are injured. If everyone was fit would he start the cup final? I’d say thats 50/50 but on merit he should.

He was in a tough spot as captain for the last 2 years. His own performance levels dropped massively and as captain that has got to be hard as your ability to pull someone up for their poor showing is reduced.

I just feel it’s time to move on if we can.

Buy a partner for Martinez then have Lindelof, Kambwala and Evans as your back ups.
I would say for now yes. Even if Martinez was fit on form Maguire still start with him. His issue is his lack of pace. The bigger problem is Marines going to be fully fit for the next season? It is taking a huge risk. Get rid of Casemiro, Varane, Rashford, Antony and Martial and that saves a lot.

If a new Manager comes in there's next to no chance he will select 4'10" Martinez as a CB

He has had a growth spurt he’s now 5’9” so get him in the team.

He’s better in the air than a lot of our lads who are over 6 foot.

I think it’s more likely that the new manager is going to want 2 centre backs that can push high and are happy to use their speed to recover on a ball that’s played in behind them.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back