Scott McTominay | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Shocking again, we'll never get back to where we demand to be when we are playing talentless Welshmen like Scott MacTominae

Must have dodgy photos of the Manager/CEO

It's a funny one, he is not very good at the role he plays, he is too passive and doesn't really have the skill/brain, but he is our main goal threat.

If you are just going to try and trade blows with a team you can play McTominay if you want to try and control the flow of a game you probably can't.

Think him and Bruno together is a problem as it leaves us very open but it's kind of working at the moment so he's going to stick with it.

Playing that way at Anfield could be suicide

If you are just going to try and trade blows with a team you can play McTominay if you want to try and control the flow of a game you probably can't.

Think him and Bruno together is a problem as it leaves us very open but it's kind of working at the moment so he's going to stick with it.

Playing that way at Anfield could be suicide

But isn't that what we want at United, high risk football?

None of this to you to me to you to me to you nonsense at Old Trafford thanks.

But it doesn't work against the top sides, Newcastle showed that, Liverpool and probably Villa will expose it

But isn't that what we want at United, high risk football?

None of this to you to me to you to me to you nonsense at Old Trafford thanks.

I think you need both, at the end of the day we want to see the team challenging at the end of the season and playing some decent stuff along the way.

Last night was great fun I think Utd smelt blood with the way Chelsea were playing and really got after them but against better sides there's some big gaps for the opponent to play in.

I think against the better sides it'll need to be a little more cautious as we can't give the sort of chances we gave Chelsea to teams around us in the league.

I think you need both, at the end of the day we want to see the team challenging at the end of the season and playing some decent stuff along the way.

Last night was great fun I think Utd smelt blood with the way Chelsea were playing and really got after them but against better sides there's some big gaps for the opponent to play in.

I think against the better sides it'll need to be a little more cautious as we can't give the sort of chances we gave Chelsea to teams around us in the league.

United are trying to play Mohammed/Muhammed Ali football against the better sides, "right show me what you've got, I'm just gonna stand here so give it you best shot, then I'll put you on your backside at the end, just you wait and see"

No i'm not drunk, it just came into my head, Doctor!!!!

He’s a passenger. I suspect he play against Liverpool instead of Bruno but after that he should be dropped and utilised as an impact sub. How many passes? How many touches? He isn’t brave enough or possess the required level of quality to be a regular starter for United.

He has shown he has his uses because without his goals of late, we would be in an even grimmer position. However, he isn’t good enough to be a regular starter at a top club. Fine as a squad player but not starting game after game.

Tricky situation because McTominay has scored some important goals but there’s another side to it.

He offers you no control in the midfield or creativity. He hasn’t created any big chances or registered an assist in the league.

You have to do more than just get in the box and score goals to play in midfield.

Kinell, you don't expect much from a squad player do you, maybe he could save a few penalties as well.

Just saying there's a trade off which is why he's probably used a squad player. I think it's why he's not actually a useful squad player and ETH was willing to let him move on in the summer because he doesn't really fit into the system so when he does come in you have to change the way the team plays.

Yes he can score you a few goals but the flip side is he creates nothing for anyone else and offers little control of possession. The lack of those qualities mean you can't really play him in a two with a guy like Bruno ahead of him but when you play both him and Bruno together as number 8's the holding player is left with a huge area of the pitch to cover.

Just saying there's a trade off which is why he's probably used a squad player. I think it's why he's not actually a useful squad player and ETH was willing to let him move on in the summer because he doesn't really fit into the system so when he does come in you have to change the way the team plays.

Yes he can score you a few goals but the flip side is he creates nothing for anyone else and offers little control of possession. The lack of those qualities mean you can't really play him in a two with a guy like Bruno ahead of him but when you play both him and Bruno together as number 8's the holding player is left with a huge area of the pitch to cover.

Guessing the Missus has still get a life-size cardboard cut-out of our goal-scoring Lancastrian hunk in the living-room hasn't she?

Disappointed that he was named captain, which would suggest he is thought of by Ten Hag. He’s another solid squad player, not a regular starter.

Based on what exactly?
You yourself said he does not excel but you get honest endeavour. My reply was based on that statement, akin to he has little talent but will run around a bit. It's no good if he runs around like a headless chicken. Honest endeavour alone will not elevate this team.

When Mainoo is there to do all the dirty work mctom is no good at, gives him a bit more licence.
I guess against better opposition the pairing might not be so effective

Yep right sort of game for him to come on in.

Their midfield was more physical than technical so he was able to go in their and get amongst it

Yeah he’s such a great option to have off the bench. He adds some physicality and height on set pieces in both boxes. Plus he has a real eye for goal this season for both club and country.

Fantastic header.

Once that ball came in he was the only one getting on the end of it, practically dragged their defender with him.

The super sub role works for him.

Don't understand why we didn't sell him in the Summer when we had the chance, what was EtH thinking.

I give him plenty of stick but the lad gets it.

Goal and assist but battled for everything even if at times their quality meant he couldn’t get close to them he stuck at it and never gave up.

I give him plenty of stick but the lad gets it.

Goal and assist but battled for everything even if at times their quality meant he couldn’t get close to them he stuck at it and never gave up.
I would say that he could not get close to them because the defence dropped deeper. But what a game he had. He just dropped to the floor when Rashford scored and then limped back to clear THAT corner.

I would say that he could not get close to them because the defence dropped deeper. But what a game he had. He just dropped to the floor when Rashford scored and then limped back to clear THAT corner.

I dunno there was probably 20 minutes either side of half time where they really controlled the centre of the park and Utd couldn't get near them as they moved the ball to quickly for us. We don't really have the ability to do that to other sides and have them chasing shadows. That isn't a pop at McTominay just isn't his game.

On another day he could have had a hat trick he had a great chance to put us 2-0 up which he hit straight at the keeper and another in extra time when I think it was 2-2. Rashford played an amazing through ball but on the stretch he put it just past the post.

There was a shot of Rashford just after the miss in the final minute of the 90 clearly frustrated and Bruno and McT both ran 30-40 yards to high five him and get his head up.

I dunno there was probably 20 minutes either side of half time where they really controlled the centre of the park and Utd couldn't get near them as they moved the ball to quickly for us. We don't really have the ability to do that to other sides and have them chasing shadows. That isn't a pop at McTominay just isn't his game.

On another day he could have had a hat trick he had a great chance to put us 2-0 up which he hit straight at the keeper and another in extra time when I think it was 2-2. Rashford played an amazing through ball but on the stretch he put it just past the post.

There was a shot of Rashford just after the miss in the final minute of the 90 clearly frustrated and Bruno and McT both ran 30-40 yards to high five him and get his head up.
They controlled because unlike in the first 30 mins or so where our defence was right up into midfield they dropped back and let them have space in between.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back