Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Maguire is our most consistent player and best defender! One of the best in the league! How people can’t see that is beyond me! Plays every game, very good on the ball and second to none in the air! Delighted he’s our captain!

Man Utd 3-3 Everton

Seeing a lot of criticism in this game but not sure why.

1st goal - striker makes a run behind him (it happens) he keeps him on his weak side and forces him wide. Keeper fumbles a weak cross and a goal is scored.

2nd goal - not much anyone can do about that.

3rd goal - he’s defending the back post goal scored at front post.

I’d say both centre backs had a tricky night 5/6-10 performances for both. Tough physical battle with 2 physical strikers but don’t think either are at fault for any of the goals.

I didn't think he was that bad, was poor though but he had a shocking moment and with the heat and camps split between him and Lindelof people will jump on it. But he's the most expensive defender of all time and should be the leader of this side. I would take the arm band off of him. Let him focus on defending.

I'd give Maguire and 5. Lindelof a 4. They haven't covered themselves in glory today. They actually had very little to do and what they had to do they done poorly.

I'd actually consider bringing Jones in if fit because these two shouldn't be playing together and Axel's confidence must be on the floor after the abuse he got against Sheff Utd and then today's ending.

Firstly I would say that Maguire is first choice and should remain so. However that doesn't make him exempt from criticism. The first goal he was partly to blame for, yes the ball was played behind him but he wasn't close to getting a block in. Lindelof would have had the same problem. The third goal he was behind the defensive line playing everyone onside. That said I still blame de gea certainly for the first, and equally culpable for the third

Maguire has been a total waste of money.

We need a new CB for sure, at least one

Maguire has been a total waste of money.

We need a new CB for sure, at least one

We need three. Lindelof Bailly and Tuanzebe need replacing.

Hopefully they just spend the £60m on Upamcaeno in the summer. He'll be the perfect partner for Maguire as has the attributes he lacks. Perhaps they can still get £10-15m back for Lindelof.

Maguire has proved he's a top defender in this league that's why we went out and signed him. I don't think Lindelof gets in any team in the prem with his performances.

I think we need 1 starting quality CB look at what Dias has done to City or what Van Dijk did at Liverpool and 1 squad level centre back. Next season Tuanzebe needs to be out on loan, leaving us Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and 2 new guys.

Maguire’s price tag raises people’s expectation of him to a level that is impossible for him to achieve he was never worth that money and never will be but the club paid the price for not acting when he was at Hull or after the World Cup.

I think he deserves a chance with a different partner I just don’t think him and Lindelof will ever be good enough to win titles because you can’t leave space in behind with them they are just to vulnerable.

Lindelof does get a lot of heat on here and rightly so but he does have some good games, however him and Maguire just aren’t a good fit together. If Bailly stayed fit then he would be the style of player needed, not saying Bailly will be the long term solution but he’s the type we need. We need someone with pace to deal with tactics like last night, Lindelof isn’t quick and Maguire turns like the titanic at times. The full backs are quick which gets us out of trouble a lot.

Maguire has not proved himself a good CB at all. He makes way too many mistakes, is really slow, and is awful in the other box.

He was a complete waste of money, a really bad piece of transfer business.

We need two new CB, and keep two as cover, get rid of the rest. Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly I guess is where you keep two. They are all similar so it doesn't matter who.

But our CB and keeper are costing us way too many goals.

I'm amazed we're 2nd considering the areas we to improve in

You’ve got a real grudge against Maguire.

Think of the absolute turds we’ve had at centre back in the last 7 years he’s far from the worst and he never misses a match allour other centres backs breakdown constantly.

He’s got 2 goals this season not bad for a centre back but he could do better as he wins so many headers.

You need to forget the price that’s not on him to be judged the price paid is where you judge the board/manager they are the ones that agreed it not him.

He’s been in good form recently he was poor at the start of the season and yesterday he had a tough game but we’d be conceding so many more without him and when fit I reckon he starts for every team in the prem.

Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly I guess is where you keep two. They are all similar so it doesn't matter who.

Bailly is nothing like the other two and there is a massive difference between Maguire and Lindelof.

I'd let 2 of the 3 go. Bailly can't stay fit and Lindelof isn't a premier League footballer. I maintain he'll do well in Spain. But he isn't suited to the game here at all. He can't defend the powerful striker and he struggles with pace. What is it we think he's bringing to the table? He's a decent passer? That'll help in Spain.

One thing is for sure and that's that he shouldn't be in the 20 man squad whenever we play Everton.

I've got a problem with all our CB's, that's what I meant by they are all the same, not very good, or not good enough.
I have problem with Maguire only because you all can't see how bad he is. He is no better than the other two. I would say Lindelof has been our best CB this season but you all wear rose tinted glasses when it's Maguire. He was poor for two goals yesterday.

It's a worry as we've spent so much money at CB and we still don't have one of the quality you need to win things.

It's now like we need two CB, a keeper, striker, RW and CM.

To be 2nd is great going

Are you sure it isn't a case of you wearing rose tinted glasses regarding Lindelof. Because he's been awful.

Outside of this forum there isn't a single person I've come across that thinks Lindelof has been decent and all of the ex pros always criticise his performances. He stepped up a little from his debut season but he's never at any point been our best defender.

Did you watch the game yesterday? Lindelof made two other massive mistakes.

No, as I said none of them are good enough

What I don't get is Lindelof getting grief when Maguire was culpable for two goals, granted the keeper should have done better.

If we could, I'd sell all of them and start again.

Let's face it, no one would come in for any of our CB's and that says enough

As an example, here are the player ratings from 303 votes on RedCafe, which is general fans:

DeGea 2.6
Lindelof 4.0
Maguire 3.7

Maybe it is 303 people with an agenda, or maybe more people thought Maguire was worse than Lindelof.

I'd say that it's probably a bit of result bias then. People let go of the two huge mistakes Lindelof made because Richarlison and Calvert Lewin put the ball wide.

There is also the problem that people judge Maguire on his price tag and what they expect of him because of that and it's a sliding scale of what you expect from that player out of 10.

We've looked a better side when Lindelof isn't in it.

I just had a quick search, the amount of points he's cost us, for me, makes him worse. He cost us two points yesterday, he was marking AWB when Southampton equalised.

Fact is, there are hundreds of videos highlighting how poor he is. And yes that may people with an agenda, but there shouldn't be that many mistakes to make these videos.

I also found an article to the contrary talking about his heading, he might get to them but they don't go out far enough and generally drop at an opponent.

A d no way would any top side come in for him. Leicester aren't exactly missing him.

He's not good enough and I haven't seen any evidence to say otherwise.

I was hoping he'd turn it around, but he just doesn't have the ability

How are you quantitfying that he dropped us two points yesterday? It's ludicrous. He's not in the top 5 to blame.

So I'd love to see your list. As it's probably very debatable.

As for Southamtons equaliser we've played them twice this season. Won 9-0 and won 3-2. Didn't we come back from 2-0 down?

Iist for what?

He was the only player playing them all onside, and it was like he was running in treacle for the Doucoure goal

I don't get how anyone compares him and Lindelof. Maguire is levels better and it isn't close.

We've seen what happens when Maguire doesn't play and that's why he pretty much has to play every minute. You'll only realise how important he is when he isn't in the side.

You've not even been able to suggest one thing Lindelof is good at defensively.

And he certainly didn't cost us two points yesterday. That suggest he individually made mistakes that cost us. Others are much further up the list.

As for the offside people are going to drop back when the ball is played. I'm yet to see a single angle which shows the box at the point the ball is kicked.

Iist for what?

He was the only player playing them all onside, and it was like he was running in treacle for the Doucoure goal

As I’ve pointed out to you McTominay also played Keane onside assuming the still image you refer to was when the ball was actually kicked.

It really wasn’t DCL is quick he got the other side of him but he’s kept him wide and Dave spills it.

Doucoure anticipates Dave spilling it and Shaw doesn’t it you really want to go deep on that goal.

Where are Fred and McTominay when Davies bursts through our midfield and gets the other side of all of them.

There’s so many faults in that goal focusing on Maguire to me is nuts

I'll rewatch the offside now and get back to you, the pictures in the papers are pretty clear but don't show where the ball was taken.
As for goal, because he is fast is not an excuse, he should have stopped him getting the shot off. If that was Lindelof you'd be slaughtering him

I'll rewatch the offside now and get back to you, the pictures in the papers are pretty clear but don't show where the ball was taken.
As for goal, because he is fast is not an excuse, he should have stopped him getting the shot off. If that was Lindelof you'd be slaughtering him

He didn’t get a shot off he got a weak cross off his weak foot that the keeper stupidly spilled.

I’m looking at that photo doing the round hard to tell exactly but I’d say potentially Cavani, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and McTominay are all in line with Keane Maguire is a yard deeper.

I just freeze framed it, only Maguire is playing them onside, their goalie is in front of Mctom.

As for their first, like I say, if it was Lindelof you'd be laying into him

I don't get how anyone compares him and Lindelof. Maguire is levels better and it isn't close.

We've seen what happens when Maguire doesn't play and that's why he pretty much has to play every minute. You'll only realise how important he is when he isn't in the side.

You've not even been able to suggest one thing Lindelof is good at defensively.

And he certainly didn't cost us two points yesterday. That suggest he individually made mistakes that cost us. Others are much further up the list.

As for the offside people are going to drop back when the ball is played. I'm yet to see a single angle which shows the box at the point the ball is kicked.
And yet hundreds/thousands of people do, and they don't agree with your assessment. You keep saying things like you're Moses and God handed you these pronouncements and you rail against anyone with a different view. Instead of banging on about how wrong someone else is, why not just accept that people see it differently, and in the case I pointed to, you are in the minority.

I'm definitely not in the minority. The overwhelming majority think Maguire is the better player

It's like saying Ed Balls is a better dancer than Anne Widdecombe.

Hardly a great advert.

I just freeze framed it, only Maguire is playing them onside, their goalie is in front of Mctom.

As for their first, like I say, if it was Lindelof you'd be laying into him

That doesn't matter though it matters where Keane is and who's in line with him none of the other players are active.

If that makes you feel better, great, just stop acting like your opinions are anything other than opinions.

Could say the same for you too we're all here giving opinions no one is factually correct in this argument. I think it's in the Maguire thread to check my bias on this issue at the start of the season when Maguire was really stinking it up I did a statistical comparison of these two players last season and Maguire wiped the floor with Lindelof.

I don't think either are world class centre backs but I do think Maguire is better than Lindelof not by some massive margin but just shades him on all the things that should matter to a defender in my opinion of course.

They are too similar to ever make a reliable partnership for a title winning side the current manager signed one of them for a lot of money and he's the captain so we all know what is likely to happen if he decides to change that pairing this summer.

That doesn't matter though it matters where Keane is and who's in line with him none of the other players are active.
I don't see how you and IDFD can defend this like you are talking fact. I looked at it over and over, freeze frame. Maguire is the only one playing them onside, to say any different is nonsense.

You can't just make things up to defend a player you like. I think Lindelof is a better defender, that's my opinion. But I still think he's not good enough to play in competive Man Utd side. You think Maguire is better and think he is good enough, that's opinion. That's fine, we can the argue to toss over that on here for hours. No one is right, it's opinions. So I post video after video of all of Maguires mistakes and you ignore it and say he is quality that's up to you ;):p:D all our CB's are absolute bobbins to me.

Saying Mctom is playing someone onside when he's not to defend Maguire is absolute nonsense. Maguire is yards ahead of eveyone else. If was in line with Mctom then it would have been given as offside. Even worse, he's looking down the line. It's even more clear on the recording I have on my TV.

Yet both you and IDFD have have said it was other players like it's a fact. And I don't think you should do that. Don't twist truths to make it look you're right.

My point is people are looking to blame every goal on Maguire that 3rd goal has nothing to do with him hammering Utd and Maguire is great for online clicks as it draws attention.

I'm happy to call out a mistake but when people are blaming him for a goal that has nothing to do with him is stupid Maguire deserves a bit of stick over the 1st goal because he allows the striker to run in behind and he doesn't block the cross.

Keane is the only Everton player in that line that matters and Maguire is one of 3 or 4 players in line with him so why is he getting battered over it? A photo looks stupid which it does but it doesn't actually mean anything.

If you can't see from those photo's that Keanes arm is in front of everyone but Maguire then we might as well stop here.

And Maguire has cost us many goals, if you can't see that we might as well stop here too.

What is it that stops you from taking on board everything that is in front of you, is it becasue he cost a lot, he's English, he had a half tournament for England? I don't get it. You can literaly view dozens and dozens of videos showing how poor he is and the goals he's cost us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back