Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightly so we stuck with him and was much much better tonight. Glossed it off with a goal.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea - 24th October 2020

Lucky not to give away a penalty.

Yes it was a penalty and it is amazing it wasn't given. Had he not done it that would have been back of the net, then what?

I didn’t think it was a nailed on penalty the player doesn’t try going for the ball he just plays for the penalty.

If the ref gives it then VAR won’t overturn it but the ref hasn’t give it I don’t think there’s enough to come back and award it.

I thought it was probably a penalty but they were doing the same thing at corners with both Maguire and mct.

100% penalty, he had him around the neck. We got lucky

Same as the Rashford one at the other end once the ref doesn’t give it not enough there to overturn it.

Yes he’s got his arms on him but I don’t think it gives him the advantage to win the header he’s just stronger.

If the ref gives it though they won’t be over turning it.

I don’t think it’s nailed on but if it’s given you can’t really complain it’s a 60/40 maybe 70/30 the VAR is there to make sure the 100% ones are given the right way.

The bottom line is this is pretty much a weekly thing. If the incidents had happened the other way round the TV and media coverage would have been the other way round. Arms round the neck of Rashford would have equalled strong defending and Maguire fouling Werner would have been a stonewaller.

Can’t say I watch every game but does feel like the holding in the box isn’t being heavily punished by VAR.

It seems like they only give it if neither player gets to the ball and the defenders hold stops that player reaching the ball.

Ones like that where it’s a bit of grappling and the defender wins the header seems to go unpunished some contact is allowed and it’s very hard to say where the line is for the hold being an advantage.

I think it was risky by Maguire but luckily for him it was a gamble the paid off.

Premier League: Everton 1-3 Manchester United - 7th November 2020

His second half performance today was terrific. That's what we need from him. Didn't really have much to do first half.

Everton 1 Utd 3

Second what @IDFD said above he was excellent today his best performance in a long time looked happy on the ball, made his tackles, won his headers and got in his blocks. Didn’t give DCL a sniff which is why he spent the whole game trying to bully Lindelof.

Apparently he made a tackle that was luckily o on an offside player or it would have been a pen. He is rash sometimes.

They were discussing in these situations should the ref still be allowed to book or send off. Even if you can't give the pen

It wasn't a penalty without the offside. He gets the ball its a good recovery challenge.

It was a good tackle. Not sure how you can make that sort of tackle without some follow through

He was monumental in the second half. Dealt with everything that was lumped in to the box and led the back 4.

Apparently he made a tackle that was luckily o on an offside player or it would have been a pen. He is rash sometimes.

They were discussing in these situations should the ref still be allowed to book or send off. Even if you can't give the pen

Out of interest who was saying these things? because it’s absolute nonsense just searching for controversy.

It’s a hard tackle but it’s fair there were plenty of tackles in that game that were way worse.

If you get a chance watch the game Maguire was rock solid today something he hasn’t been all season.

Out of interest who was saying these things? because it’s absolute nonsense just searching for controversy.

It’s a hard tackle but it’s fair there were plenty of tackles in that game that were way worse.

If you get a chance watch the game Maguire was rock solid today something he hasn’t been all season.
I can tell you that Richard Keys was saying it, whilst strangely that good old Evertonian Andy Gray hesitantly offered Maguire some support.
The tackle was good but risky, he got his touch on the ball before clattering the Everton player. In my view when a defender is so committed to such a tackle and looking likely to get the ball their is some onus on the other player to pull out, in this case the other player decided to stay fully committed and risk getting hurt. If Maguire doesnt stay committed and pulls out resulting in a goal he's a mug!! according to some.

I can tell you that Richard Keys was saying it, whilst strangely that good old Evertonian Andy Gray hesitantly offered Maguire some support.
The tackle was good but risky, he got his touch on the ball before clattering the Everton player. In my view when a defender is so committed to such a tackle and looking likely to get the ball their is some onus on the other player to pull out, in this case the other player decided to stay fully committed and risk getting hurt. If Maguire doesnt stay committed and pulls out resulting in a goal he's a mug!! according to some.

I forget that Keys and Grey still have a platform for their out dated nonsense English football really hasn’t missed those two.

It was one of those in midfield the ref might pull you on it give a free kick and a yellow but in the box they are never giving a pen for it.

Was a risk he had to take though and it was heavily in his favour. like you say the attacker knows he’s not getting that and should pull out but he’s left himself in trying to get a penalty and as a result he’s been hurt by the follow through.

He was very unlucky not to win a penalty a few moments before this when he was taken out by Pickford and a defender.

He was back on form today - good performance.

Out of interest who was saying these things? because it’s absolute nonsense just searching for controversy
Can't remember commentator, pundit was Trevor Sinclair I think. They defo weren't anti United, had lots of positives to say

I forget that Keys and Grey still have a platform for their out dated nonsense English football really hasn’t missed those two.
Disagree, I always liked them and there has been none better since

He was very unlucky not to win a penalty a few moments before this when he was taken out by Pickford and a defender.

He was back on form today - good performance.
Was never a penalty

Can't remember commentator, pundit was Trevor Sinclair I think. They defo weren't anti United, had lots of positives to say
There certainly was positives to be had. The best team won and we should have secured the points much earlier given our chances.

Seemed like an ok performance, a few mistakes but way more positives.

Seemed like an ok performance, a few mistakes but way more positives.
An okay performance?

You cannot say things like i've got an agenda with Lindelof and then call that an okay performance.

Well it wasn't faultless, compared to his recent performances it was ok. I have no agenda against Maguire, he's a decent enough player that's been way below par for 6 months. I hope this is a start of a turn around.

Ok, I don't really, but people are calling out Lindelof for the goal, Maguire got done by the same player at the start. So if one is heavily criticised then the other should be. Same mistake, letting Cl to the head.
They didn't show the foul on the offside player but I'm taking in board the commentary.

It was in ok performance, that's not saying it was bad you know that,? Pretty much what you'd expect from a CB but nothing extraordinary. Certainly an improvement though

The match commentators said it.

You get different commentators to us.

Both the commentators on English TV called it a good challenge.

Any commentator that did say it should be suspended for a while for inept performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back