Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Telles is number 1 left back on the list? Haha.

I'll have a look at the ratings when I load it up for pro clubs though. I actually play as PSG when playing online but I'm pretty sure Maguire is higher rated.

Just realised on the link you posted if you sort by rating it's actually the same too. Bailly is actually the second rated United centre back with Lindelof third. Case closed. ;)

FIFA really have done a terrible job with those rankings though. Thiago Silva and Alderwierald the 3rd and 4th best defenders in the league is laughable. Toby is gone as a premier League defender.

HAHA, I saw Bailly and Lindelof in the top 10. Didn't see Maguire, still can't. But it Had Ake as number 5 o_O who I'm not sure has actually played much. Also Smalling is still a united player.

I got a bit of stick when I said we need a CB to compliment Maguire instead of Jadon Sancho although it would hurt to see Sancho at a club like Chelsee , Maguire needs a quick CB to go with him.

Don't forget they also sad it was a mistake. So he made 3 mistakes in that goal. As for line, he is the captain, he should dictate the line. And he should certainly stay with it and do what all the others are doing.

So what we're saying is, our 80m (it is relevant because the price is dictated by supposed quality) is in equal standard to Coleman. If Coleman woul dmake that mistake it's ok for Maguire to make it? Pretty sure JC was pushed out to RB a fair amount, so he couldn't have been that good. I don't remember him being anything special, a bit of a bully, not in a bad way, a good CB. Better than Maguire, but would you have paid 80m for him?

His postioning is woeful, you think not being very fast and being so easy to turn, he'd learn to get into better positions.

We'll never agree. I think he is limited and has too many weak points to his game. You don't. It's fair enough, only time will tell.

There is an argument he is our best CB, again that's opinion, I don't think he is, but there's not much in it so I can see why some would say he is. The fact is, all our CB's are low quality compared to our rivals and what we need.

PS, I'm not having that stat, I don't know how they work that it, but it's wrong. They probably don't have him marking AWB for the Southampton goal as a mistake for example.

Carragher said Benitez used to say it was a mistake because Benitez wanted it to be a very rigid line it was a natural reaction that he couldn't do anything about he wanted space so he could go and attack that ball I think Maguire has done the same thing.

Well price tag is also ditcated by a number of other factors what is worth £80m to Leicester is not necessarily also worth £80m to Utd. The price you pay is dictated by the length of the players contract and how close a rival you are to them. We all know a prem to prem deal involving an England international on a long contract and Utd being the buying club is jacking that price up way above what the market would usually dictate. I believe that summer Everton signed Michael Keane for around £25m, 2 years before that Stones went to City for £50m. Utd had to pay a heavily jacked up price because we waited an extra year in which Maguire signed a new contract.

As for setting the line again we don't know if that is the tactics from the manager/coach or if it's left to on field decision by Maguire. If it was his call it was a stupid one and I'd have expected Ole/Carrick etc to be on the touchline telling him to get up the pitch. If Pep see's his defence drop he's out there screaming to get up. I think we defend set pieces deep we are not aggressive with our line I think because of the keeper.

As for the stat there's a high threshold for it you basically have to pass it to the opponent for it to register on that stat.

Michael Keane for around £25m, 2 years before that Stones went to City for £50m
I'd have either of those over Maguire.

More rumours about Varane, but I feel like this is like him after a new deal. They are not going to let two CB leave surely. I read he accpts the deal or they'll take 44m.

I really hope we don't go near Varane. He's been in worse form than Maguire for 2 yrs. Did get a double at the weekend.

Ramos maybe a 1 yr deal could suit. Bit late though.

wonderful player, but I have my doubts about him in the prem - varane that is

I think the ones against Chelsea might have been last season too. I can't be @rsed to go through it all match by match as it's pointless, we'll never agree even if I did. Doesn't really matter what season anyway, lots of mistakes is the point.

Chelsea would have been last season too but I don't remember what you're referring to. We've played them once this year and drew 0-0.

Maguire isn't worth £80m. We overpaid to get our man after Pep refused to pay £75m. But you've said a few times Lindelof is the better player.

Their defensive stats from last season really speak for themselves. Take the emotion out of it and just look at these stats:

Maguire

Tackles 37
Tackle Success 62%
Blocked Shots 6
Recoveries 237
Interceptions 72
Clearances 157
Duels Won 240
Aerial Battles Won 176

Lindelof

Tackles 29
Tackle Success 52%
Blocked Shots 1
Recoveries 215
Interceptions 26
Clearances 122
Duels Won 135
Aerials Battles Won 96

Lindelof, I don't think he's good enough for us or any team that wants to compete for the big prizes. So I don't think it matters who I prefer. Neither are good enough.

I prefered Kleberson to Djemba Djemba would be a similar argument. (I liked neither btw)

I'd have either of those over Maguire.

More rumours about Varane, but I feel like this is like him after a new deal. They are not going to let two CB leave surely. I read he accpts the deal or they'll take 44m.

It's horses for courses but I think Keane has been rubbish for Everton and Stones has been missing for 2 years but this year he is back in great form but lets be honest John Stones was not a Mourinho style defender.

Maguire will only justify his price tag if he's part of a team that wins multiple titles and a european cup in his time at the club which may or may not happen.

Varane I think looks done making a lot of mistakes I wouldn't go near him there's rumours about Ramos on a free but it all sounds like new contract guff I can't see Ole wanting either of them.

There was talk of Dias to Utd 18 months ago and if that was true maybe we missed the boat on him and if you really go back in time apparently VVD was ours but we wouldn't pay 50m and decided to go for Lindelof at 30m instead. Thanks very much Mourinho/Woodward whoever wants to take the blame on that one.

Just on that little piece Shearer did, he's all over the place, out if position, marking space etc. He's right though, our defence is bad, did he say worst amount of goals conceded in the league bar Fulham.
It definitely needs looking at in the summer.

Sheff Utd, West Brom, Fulham, Southampton, Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves, Leeds.

Think it’s joint 13th with Brighton for goals against this season

30 let in for us
14 let in for City who have the best defence.

If you think he's that bad surely it puts a major question mark over Ole and his job as manager for you?

He's Ole's completely undroppable player (not even De Gea has played as many minutes), record signing and the guy he made captain.

We do concede too many but that stat is heavily distorted by the Tottenham game. Take that game out of it and we've conceded 4th least in the league. (Same with Liverpool and that Villa result)

The goals at home is a problem Palace, Spurs, Leeds and Everton have come to Old Trafford and scored 3 or more that is half the goals conceded in the league in 4 home games.

I think there’s a few reasons behind that

1) we don’t retain the ball for long periods in attack
2) we turn possession over in stupid areas a lot with sloppy passes or dithering on the ball
3) our first choice centre back partnership is vulnerable to pace in behind
4) our goalkeeper doesn’t dominate his box on set pieces
5) our keeper is letting in soft shots he is no longer saving shots he shouldn’t save and he isn’t saving shots he should.

I’d say a change in keeper could solve problem number 4 and 5 a keeper who’s also the modern style sweeper keeper might even help with number 3 but I think number 3 is really solved by trying a different partnership.

Don't bring Ole into it, you know I'm a huge supporter of him and it's not relevant.
What I'm saying is, it's probably time to move on from all our CB's

Don't bring Ole into it, you know I'm a huge supporter of him and it's not relevant.
What I'm saying is, it's probably time to move on from all our CB's

Of course it's got a massive thing to do with it. Ole doesn't think it's time to move on from Maguire. He plays him in every single minute. Made him the club captain and thinks he's a superhero that doesn't need a rest.

And yeah to be fair to the defence just the 3 shots were allowed on target last weekend.

Lindelof certainly not doing himself any favours tonight. We just don't seem comfortable defending

FA Cup: Man Utd 1-0 West Ham

Man of the match according to Jermaine Jenus

Just Saying

Haha. I did think about herewhen he said it.

Very generous. I'd have given it to McT for the goal. No one really impressed.

I thought both CB did ok in the 2nd half.

Motm, tough one really. I'd have said Bruno as we woke up when he came on, I thought Greenwood always looked good

It was a terrible game with no real stand out.

Maguire was fine but West Ham were rubbish going forward so wasn't exactly a tough night for the centre backs.

It was a terrible game with no real stand out.

Maguire was fine but West Ham were rubbish going forward so wasn't exactly a tough night for the centre backs.

MEN gave it to McT which tells you all you need to know considering he came on in the 73rd minute.

MEN gave it to McT which tells you all you need to know considering he came on in the 73rd minute.

I'd have probably given it to him too he was brilliant when he came on and got the winner.

Had they won they'd have probably given it to Dawson it was just a pretty poor match.

West Brom 1-1 Man Utd

probably our best player on the day drove us forward and gave them problems stepping out of defence with the ball which eventually led to our equaliser.

So unlucky not to win it with the header at the end.

People question his captaincy credentials but today I felt he was the one really pushing the team forward to chase that winner.

Had one heart in mouth moment which I assume VAR would have resolved if DDG didn’t make the save clearly fouled by the striker but I still think he should control that situation better.

His heat map for yesterday's game is doing the rounds. It really is something for a CB.

Can't believe how much we were relying on him to try and create something between about the 30 and 45th yesterday. Like they had no plan so just give it to Harry.

Have only seen it on Facebook. Trying to find twitter version but can only find the Iceland one but you'd think he was playing left wing! Not sure if this will work from Facebook

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think it was real leadership from Maguire in that first half he spotted nothing was really happening so he made something happen and they didn't really have an answer for it. I'm guessing they made an adjustment second half that stopped him doing it so easily but he's good on the ball for a big lad that turns like a cruise liner and those bursts out with the ball created the equaliser.

He was terrific that first half. But it shouldn't be down to our CB to try to make those break throughs.

i can't see the heat map, but I'm with IDFD. Our CB shouldn't be all over the pitch, upsetting the balance and putting other players under pressure by being out of position.

I had this conversation with IDFD, with Beckham and the Greece game. It probably was one of his best games, but you look at that game again, the other players are desperately trying to cover the spaces where Beckham should have been. At least that's my memory of it. So is that really his best game? you could argue it's his worst.

fred needs binning.

I think in this situation it made sense because it was working he'd spent 30 minutes playing it into midfield which wasn't working so he tried something different and he had 2 or 3 bursts forward which were causing problems that West Brom couldn't handle.

It stopped second half but it was a worthwhile thing to exploit while it did work as it wasn't even leaving us exposed at the back as by this point West Brom had everyone back and we really were putting the pressure on them.

Having that extra angle of attack a defender moving forward unexpectedly is done to create space for others as it will move an opponents defender into a position he wasn't previously occupying. It may be that this move created the space for Shaw to get time to aim his cross on to Bruno's boot.

That Greece game was one man on a mission but it was arguably a necessary solution in an all or nothing situation England needed to get 1 point from the game so when behind in the game Beckham assumed a free role to make sure we got that point. When the game was level he was not doing everything to try and get that goal.

It wasn't a case that he did it all the time it was a one off thing and we've seen players take this attitude for us or our rivals to deliver the victory at that time Beckham was arguably the best player in the world. We will never know what would have happened that day had Becks stuck rigidly to his role rather than doing what he did.

oh yeah, it worked with Becks because of that freekick. But if it hadn't gone in, I think questions would have been asked.

He says he's fed up with hearing De Gea and Lindelof can do better. But follows it up with of course they can and he knows they can. Sounds like he's giving them a bit of a kick up the ass whilst trying to sound like he's defending them.

Taken a lot of criticism from some quarters earlier on but he's been excellent recently.

Video clip going round of him laying in to AWB for his loose passing today as well as the one for Rashford recently for constantly being offside.

The Greek court case has been put back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back