Harry Maguire | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
That challenge was a good old fashioned tackle. He gets the ball and the momentum of both players leads to a collision. Nothing wrong with that.

Maguire himself said he doesn't think it was a penalty. Said he fouled Pickford first.

On motd they mentioned his arm was on Pickford's chest

West Ham 1-3 Man Utd

Nominated for November player of the month.

Do think he’s had a good spell of form and again today was back to his best.

He will never look like an 80m centre back because he isn’t but he’s playing well again and looks to have put the incident this summer behind him.

Yep as a centre back you never let the ball go past you at the near post I don’t even care if the keeper calls you clear the ball an take the grief from the keeper.

I wondered if it was maybe out of reach but to me it looks like he’s left it De Gea is weak in his attempt to win the 50/50 but the error starts with Maguire and it cost us big time.

Club captain not leading by example - take responsibility and deal with it. I'm liking him less and less as captain - certainly doesn't marshall his defence through a match.

He's just not very good. He's ok but he has his limits

Frustrating because the pair of them have been in good form.

It all starts with a bad pass by Lindelof that they win back high up, Maguire lets it go through and De Gea doesn't cover it.

The only logical reason I have for Maguire leaving that ball is he gets a big call from De Gea any other reason is just a terrible decision you can't let a ball go into the box ever as a centre back.

Frustrating because the pair of them have been in good form.

It all starts with a bad pass by Lindelof that they win back high up, Maguire lets it go through and De Gea doesn't cover it.

The only logical reason I have for Maguire leaving that ball is he gets a big call from De Gea any other reason is just a terrible decision you can't let a ball go into the box ever as a centre back.
A CB's duty is to clear unless he gets a SHOUT from the keeper, and DeGea appears to have said nothing. You take care of business first and deal with an angry keeper afterwards. Maguire is 100% at fault there.

A CB's duty is to clear unless he gets a SHOUT from the keeper, and DeGea appears to have said nothing. You take care of business first and deal with an angry keeper afterwards. Maguire is 100% at fault there.

We don't know if there was a shout or not I don't think there was at it didn't look like he pulled out and De Gea didn't react until it was past Maguire which makes me think he's left that.

Camera's can be deceptive it may well be that he just couldn't get to it the ball was deflected so he may not have been able to react quickly enough to get there but to me it looks like he's left it.

Maguire should definitely have dealt with that. Awful

Premier League: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United - 17th January 2021

He was very good and continues his good run of form.

100% been back to his best lately he’ll never be Rio or Vidic class but week in week out recently he’s been putting in good performances despite a lot of defensive rotation.

In a run of good form. All I would say is if you're playing out from the back the passing needs to be sharper, you don't have time to dwell on the ball.

You have to draw the opponent in for the tactic to work it's high risk but the idea is that you draw the press then burst the passes through it.

It's very nervy style and I don't think we are that good at it to many players who aren't comfortable enough on the ball in the starting XI but Maguire is very good at passing from the back there aren't many better than him he might look like a bruiser but he's very comfortable on the ball.

You have to draw the opponent in for the tactic to work it's high risk but the idea is that you draw the press then burst the passes through it.

It's very nervy style and I don't think we are that good at it to many players who aren't comfortable enough on the ball in the starting XI but Maguire is very good at passing from the back there aren't many better than him he might look like a bruiser but he's very comfortable on the ball.
First part I agree with, second part not so much. Maguire doesn't look comfortable on the ball to me. He looks like he is just running with it as far as he can go and then making the first available pass. Comfortable on the ball would be someone like Pogba who can receive the ball and hold off players while looking for the right outlet. Maguire has been good lately though, but I too get nervous he's going to get caught goofing around with the ball in our own 6 yard box.

First part I agree with, second part not so much. Maguire doesn't look comfortable on the ball to me. He looks like he is just running with it as far as he can go and then making the first available pass. Comfortable on the ball would be someone like Pogba who can receive the ball and hold off players while looking for the right outlet. Maguire has been good lately though, but I too get nervous he's going to get caught goofing around with the ball in our own 6 yard box.

You can't compare a centre back to Pogba on the ball one is arguably one of the best centre mids in the world the other is a centre back.

Maguire is very rarely dispossed even though it can look uncomfortable sometimes for him on the ball he always seems to have the situation under control.

Where I think he's very good and Lindelof is good at this too is forward passes through pressing players to get past them. He finds the passing angles and takes opposition players out of the game. He isn't just tapping it side to side along the back he's looking to play forward first with short crisp passes where I think he could improve a bit is his long passing that is pretty average.

I think a lot of our issues with pressing comes because we never go over the top of a pressing team and play direct so they get very brave and push right on top of us which makes it very hard to pull off. Especially if the first pass from the keeper is very short as you all end up on top of each other.

You can't compare a centre back to Pogba on the ball one is arguably one of the best centre mids in the world the other is a centre back.

Maguire is very rarely dispossed even though it can look uncomfortable sometimes for him on the ball he always seems to have the situation under control.

Where I think he's very good and Lindelof is good at this too is forward passes through pressing players to get past them. He finds the passing angles and takes opposition players out of the game. He isn't just tapping it side to side along the back he's looking to play forward first with short crisp passes where I think he could improve a bit is his long passing that is pretty average.

I think a lot of our issues with pressing comes because we never go over the top of a pressing team and play direct so they get very brave and push right on top of us which makes it very hard to pull off. Especially if the first pass from the keeper is very short as you all end up on top of each other.
I'm giving you an example of what "comfortable on the ball" actually looks like. Maguire is far from it.

If only he could improve he’s attacking heading we would score a lot more goals he would be deadly in the box.

Wasn’t headed goals supposed to be a specialty of his? He had two free headers today and neither were anywhere near the goal. It’s not like he’s the only one, we as a team don’t seem to score a lot of headers. Maybe we need to rethink our corner routines.

Think it was an over hyped quality when he signed to be honest he wins a lot of headers on set pieces but rarely hits the target if he could improve his accuracy he'd probably get near double figures every season because he wins so many headers.

Man Utd 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 27th Jan 2021

First goal at Old Trafford great header how they give him a free run I'll never know.

I'd love to know how may goals we've conceded mucking around in our own penalty box.

I keep saying similar to this @Mr C, a huge portion of the goals we concede are poor goals through individual/team errors

It's a necessary evil to draw the opponents up the pitch but it's high risk if you mess it up it can lead to a goal get it right and you can open up loads of space. Playing direct from goal kicks is just an easy way of giving the opponent the ball the stats all back it up the likelihood of retaining possession off a long goal kick is very low. We're actually good at playing out from the back we're not Man City levels of good yet but we are very good at it and Maguire is a big reason for that as he's so comfortable with the ball at his feet which is odd because he looks like he shouldn't be.

The second goal to me seems to start with Maguire getting to close to the keeper probably because De Gea doesn't dominate his box I'd need to watch it back but really Maguire should be leaving that ball to the keeper but because De Gea doesn't move he has to knock it back.

We deal with that situation after that it's just lazy player from a number of players not pressing the ball quickly giving the opponent way to much time to make decisions.

I have no problem with the tactic, but we don't need to do it every time, if there is danger then lump it, or just pass it out further, to a full back. Not 3 ft away from your 6 yard box

Problem is you give the players that out or excuse they will abuse it I remember Wenger saying to get the old back 4 to play from the back he had to sell Hartson not because Hartson was a bad player but because every time they looked up they pumped the ball to him. He forced them to play a certain way every time they got the ball because the risk was worth the reward

The idea of "clearing your lines" and "safety first" just don't exist at the top of the game when you have the ball at your feet obviously if you're clearing a cross you just get it out of the danger zone. You have to be prepared to take a ball under pressure and look after it that is what seperates the good players from the great ones when it comes to technique.

This is one of them tactics you have to be all in on all the time yes if you see a long pass that is on you hit it but there's no room for hit and hope stuff which is what Sheff Utd did a lot of and it's why the ball just kept coming back.

I do think sometimes we get way to close to the keeper when playing out and sometimes we don't get into position quick enough to start the play which is when it gets a bit panicked.

Last night De Gea just had to get that ball away from goal he got it out wide and away from the danger zone what happened after was just terrible defending by a number of our players maybe the result of having the ball so much they just weren't alert to not having it.

We're good at it but to play this way and win titles we still need to be better at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back