Next manager

In the heat of a game fans say a lot of things.

Just because I said I want the season to end doesn’t mean the football is terrible to watch. But our defensive cock ups and naivety can be depressing.
Very true to be fair. I do it myself.

I don't think it's terrible to watch either, I personally find it stressful. The games should have a lot more calmness and that for me would indicate a far better team, playing well.

I don't know how much more of ETH I can take.

I think ETH gets a lot of heat and some deserved but some of these players are just mind boggling! Experienced players doing stupid things. Honestly if it wasn’t for individual mistakes then we would be still in the hunt for top four.

The manager at the end of the day is the one that will take the fall but the players do not make it easy for him.

I am amazed you don't find the football we play terrible to watch. We barely have the ball against most teams, and when we do we do nothing with it.

I think ETH gets a lot of heat and some deserved but some of these players are just mind boggling! Experienced players doing stupid things. Honestly if it wasn’t for individual mistakes then we would be still in the hunt for top four.

The manager at the end of the day is the one that will take the fall but the players do not make it easy for him.
I still think all the player error boils down to being largely confused with this crazy system he plays. It leaves us very vunerable for large amounts of time during games and the shots against us in every match proves this. I think it's just simple mathematics, that the more you have to deal with the higher percentage of errors you will accumulate.

I literally hate watching man utd at the moment. Of course I do watch them, I can't stop myself, but I hate it. It's the worst part of my week.

It's definitely tough. I think the games cover every emotion you can feel, which can feel great, and it's why some people are calling it entertaining as their brain is telling them that, ultimately though it's not what we need. Neutrals are loving it, and that's also usually not a good sign. I'd rather us be a bit boring at times, and win with some certainty that we deserved to win.

I literally hate watching man utd at the moment. Of course I do watch them, I can't stop myself, but I hate it. It's the worst part of my week.
Any games you’ve enjoyed this season?

There has been lots of exciting ones. Obviously sometimes not in our favour but exciting nonetheless.

Last 10 games these are the possession stats

City A - 27% possession
Everton H - 52% possession
Liverpool H (Cup) - 41%
Brentford A - 53%
Chelsea A - 43%
Liverpool H - 38%
Bournemouth A- 57%
Coventry N - 58%
Sheff Utd H - 72%
Burnley - 47%

The idea we don't have the ball is nonsense in those 10 games we average 49% possession. Who scores first can also have a big impact on the possession stats.

23 goals scored 21 conceded so over 10 games we're scoring 2 a game and letting in 2 a game.

To me that clearly shows the tactic is to make the game as wide open as possible and drag the opponent into an end to end slog. It's a risky tactic and not something that's going to work long term but for where we are right now it's probably the best way to go.

around 50% possesion to teams mainly fighting relegation, or at least in the bottom half is not something to be shouting about.

Lets see Liverpool/Arsenal/City/Villa stats against those teams.

It's a little embarrassing you are actually using this as a fact to defend the team.

it's also what we do with the ball, we try to pass it around, but are awful at it. It's like we look at the good teams, see thats how we should play, but don't really know how to do it. Rather than actually opening teams up. We just pass it side to side to back.

On the outside looking in I’d say this…

If they are to stand by Ten Hag then it needs to be because there are no other options out there. That’s the only reason to stick with him at this point. The club have gone backwards this year and he’s done nothing to really help stem the bleeding. It was always going to be difficult for him to improve on last year but I think the minimum was to see progress in terms of the style and to see them making steps in the right direction. They’ve not done that in any way shape or form.

That said regardless of whether the manager stays or goes they need a clear out. They have to get rid of a lot of players and make sure that those they don’t get rid of (bar the few that have shown this year) are nothing more than squad players next year. The clear out has been needed for a while and they can’t give the next manager the same group up work with.

around 50% possesion to teams mainly fighting relegation, or at least in the bottom half is not something to be shouting about.

Lets see Liverpool/Arsenal/City/Villa stats against those teams.

It's a little embarrassing you are actually using this as a fact to defend the team.

it's also what we do with the ball, we try to pass it around, but are awful at it. It's like we look at the good teams, see thats how we should play, but don't really know how to do it. Rather than actually opening teams up. We just pass it side to side to back.

3 games are against the top 3, 3 teams are mid-table, 3 teams are fighting at the bottom and 1 is a championship side. I also said possession stats can massively swing based on the score in games and what the opposition is doing.

What's embarrassing is you won't even consider that your argument is flawed because the numbers suggests over 10 games against a pretty even spread of ability opponents that possession stat is roughly 50/50. You said we barely had the ball against most teams that's simply not true and the stats prove it.

I don't dispute we often struggle in possession especially slow possession. Once our attacks lose momentum they normally don't result in a shot we are very poor at passing the ball around then suddenly injecting speed into a move to open up a team.

thats absoute nonsense

the top 3 teams our stats are 27, 38, 41 so pretty bad

against the bottom half teams it's 57, 72 and 47, pretty bad considering the opposition.

Championship side 58

Then Cheslea and Brentford 43 and 53.

These are poor stats. And yes you are right, they are meaningless, like our football.

Does this team play football I enjoy to watch and am proud of. Absolutely not. That useless manager on the side just winds me up.

Against the 3 top sides. Very few sides get 50/50 against City I bet Real Madrid probably saw 30-35% of the ball but they're through and City are out. We also scored after 5 minutes then tried to hang on.

The Liverpool games we were leading in both games and holding on so that probably explains why it moved more towards 60/40 than 50/50.

I can get why you don't like the football but making really over the top statements don't help because it's simply not true.

The late goals have totally changed the mood around a lot of performances in my opinion. The real stinker performances being Brentford A and Bournemouth A. The rest in my opinion have been ok.

Not saying it's enough for the manager to continue and certainly not suggesting he gets a new deal but him carrying on with a fresh start in the summer isn't the end of the world.

How is it over the top? do you think we have dominated any team this season, have you walked away from any games and thought, yeah we played really there and deserved that win. How many games do you think we got away with one in?

those Liverpool games we were battered, wasn't it something like 20 shots to 0 in the first half of one? It's embarrasing. Exciting as the cup game was, we did not deserve to win either of those games, the one we drew we should have lost.

Actually aganst City I thought we did really well for 20 mins. Then just gave up.

There hasn't been a single game where we have dominanted start to finish, won comfortably and looked good doing it. Not one.

How is it over the top? do you think we have dominated any team this season, have you walked away from any games and thought, yeah we played really there and deserved that win. How many games do you think we got away with one in?

those Liverpool games we were battered, wasn't it something like 20 shots to 0 in the first half of one? It's embarrasing. Exciting as the cup game was, we did not deserve to win either of those games, the one we drew we should have lost.

Actually aganst City I thought we did really well for 20 mins. Then just gave up.

You said "we barely have the ball against most sides" that is over the top and stats back it up. You were clearly exaggerating the state of the problem because you want the manager out. I'm not saying there's not some truth in it but it's nowhere near as bad as you are suggesting.

Of those 10 games I'd say 4 of them we played pretty well and did enough to win. 3 were pretty even and 3 we deserved to lose.

We've had some rotten luck on penalties recently a number of soft penalties have been given against us 2 vs Chelsea, 1 vs Liverpool and 1 vs Coventry. In the same period I don't think we've had 1 "soft" penalty if anything we've been getting them turned down.

In both Liverpool games I think if you judge it over the full 90 or 120 minutes a draw was a fair result in both. There were spells in both games where we were really on the ropes but there were also spells where we were on top.

City we were ok until the injuries hit think Evans went off at 1-1 and they scored pretty much straight away as we'd reshuffled the back 4 and the third goal we gifted them. Our problem against City is always the same we struggle to get out on the break because City are probably the best team in the world at defending against counter attacks.

this is typical red tinted glasses.

A penalty is a penalty, it's poor decision making. They were all penalties.

as for possession, if you think 50% is good then I'm happy for you. But I expect Man Utd to be bossing most teams in the league.

Clearly a lot of fans don't and are happy with the current standards the manager is setting. And that's fine, I have no problem with that.

out of those 10 games, you think we were good enough in 40% of them.

this is typical red tinted glasses.

A penalty is a penalty, it's poor decision making. They were all penalties.

as for possession, if you think 50% is good then I'm happy for you. But I expect Man Utd to be bossing most teams in the league.

Clearly a lot of fans don't and are happy with the current standards the manager is setting. And that's fine, I have no problem with that.

out of those 10 games, you think we were good enough in 40% of them.

Could say your comments are typical ABETH Anyone But Erik Ten Hag :cool:

The AWB one against Coventry is not a penalty and refs this season have been pretty consistent on not giving a penalty, exactly the same happened for us against Burnley at the weekend with no penalty given to us. We win that 3-2 not ideal but the narrative around the performance totally changes in my opinion.

The others I've said are soft because they're ones that will always go with the ref under a VAR review they aren't 100% nailed on penalties but they are ones that sometimes are given and sometimes aren't. The point is these 50/50's in my opinion in the last few weeks have pretty much all gone against us, it happens in football you have good spells of luck and bad spells and currently we're in a bad spell. I think over the season we've probably had more go against us than for us on the 50/50 decisions but that's football.

Did I say it was good? What I said is the stats show possession is fairly even, it might have been a bit petty on my behalf digging out the stats to prove you were exaggerating. I think Utd should be looking to be above 60% and dominating the ball in most games and I agree currently we're not doing that. Again if we didn't have to change the starting line up every game we might see a more settled system and more cohesion amongst the players.

4 games played well enough to win, I think 3 we were worth a draw and 3 we deserved to lose.

ETH deserves everything he gets. The man is his own worst enemy. Stupid statements everywhere, stupid substitutions, stupid tactics, stupid team selections, stupid man management, stupid player buys, just stupid. Stupid.

I've heard enough of his excuses and his gutless press conferences. The man has not done one single thing this season to build upon last year.

He reminds me of a broken robot.

Again not faultless but he’s faced a ridiculous challenge of picking a new back 4 almost every game. Everyone around him has been waiting to find out if the new “owner” is going to sack them bet that’s great for morale.

As for what he’s built on this season he’s bedded in a new keeper and a new centre forward and established 2 academy players into the starting XI, 2 more have been given chances in Amad and Kambwala, Dalot I think has improved again, he’s rehabilitated Maguire, McTominay is having his best season ever. Reached his 3rd domestic cup final admittedly with a fairly kind run but still had to knock Liverpool out.

Yes it’s been a step backwards but sometimes you need to go backwards to go forward.

You can put a positive spin on anything can't you? I applaud it, but I don't buy it.

I remember you wanted to "move on" Maguire, and Dalot. Yeah? We all know Maguire is doing well in spite of ETH who had dropped him, for one example of a hole in your case.

McTominay, who he recently described as a player who is creative and can keep the ball. If he genuinely thinks that, then that would mean he's not even using him in the right area of the pitch. It's all barmy. So yeah, I doubt even Pep could improve a player by using them to the opposite effect of what they're good at.

Not everything is ETHs fault the culture at the club is rotten and that needs changing as much as anything before things improve, but his substitutions have been mostly baffling and make us worse, the massive holes in midfield that allow even crap teams to carve us up, the lack of a style of play and some of his signings the main one being Antony for 90 million are just not want the club wants if we are to get back to being a proper team, missing out on top 4 will be his downfall and he will almost certainly get the sack.

You can put a positive spin on anything can't you? I applaud it, but I don't buy it.

I remember you wanted to "move on" Maguire, and Dalot. Yeah? We all know Maguire is doing well in spite of ETH who had dropped him, for one example of a hole in your case.

McTominay, who he recently described as a player who is creative and can keep the ball. If he genuinely thinks that, then that would mean he's not even using him in the right area of the pitch. It's all barmy. So yeah, I doubt even Pep could improve a player by using them to the opposite effect of what they're good at.

No I’m just saying not everything this season has been negative, there are a few positives worth considering. All of that can’t deny the results have been terrible and there’s been some rotten performances. A combination of a bad summer transfer window, a takeover that took 12 months to resolves and an injury crisis has made it a very difficult season for any manager.

I still think it’s right to move Maguire on and rebuild with a younger partnership. Maguire deserved to be dropped last season his performances were not good enough but he’s stuck at it and thanks to injuries got another chance and done well in tough circumstances but I think it’s a good time to move on. Dalot does my head in because he makes so many daft errors mainly switching off at the back post but when he’s on it he’s a decent right back. I’d keep him but bring in some genuine competition and move AWB on.

I just don’t listen to anything he says in press conferences it’s all spin and I’d say in most cases he can’t give an honest answer because theres nothing to be gained from slagging off these players in public or admitting mistakes.

No I’m just saying not everything this season has been negative, there are a few positives worth considering. All of that can’t deny the results have been terrible and there’s been some rotten performances. A combination of a bad summer transfer window, a takeover that took 12 months to resolves and an injury crisis has made it a very difficult season for any manager.

I still think it’s right to move Maguire on and rebuild with a younger partnership. Maguire deserved to be dropped last season his performances were not good enough but he’s stuck at it and thanks to injuries got another chance and done well in tough circumstances but I think it’s a good time to move on. Dalot does my head in because he makes so many daft errors mainly switching off at the back post but when he’s on it he’s a decent right back. I’d keep him but bring in some genuine competition and move AWB on.

I just don’t listen to anything he says in press conferences it’s all spin and I’d say in most cases he can’t give an honest answer because theres nothing to be gained from slagging off these players in public or admitting mistakes.
Whilst I don't agree with all of it, I can say that's mostly fair enough. I can see the argument for moving on Maguire, but not Dalot. I think he can iron out the bad and become even better for us.

Edit - I see you actually did agree somewhat on Dalot, my bad.

Whilst I don't agree with all of it, I can say that's mostly fair enough. I can see the argument for moving on Maguire, but not Dalot. I think he can iron out the bad and become even better for us.

Edit - I see you actually did agree somewhat on Dalot, my bad.

I just wouldn’t have Dalot as a nailed on starter we need a second option that can keep him on his toes and compete for that starting spot.

We also need to cross our fingers that Malacia’s issues this season are a one off bad season and not the start of career plagued by injury. Whatever’s happened hopefully they’ve fixed it and next season we get him back fully as in his first season he was exactly what we needed to backup Shaw.

I just wouldn’t have Dalot as a nailed on starter we need a second option that can keep him on his toes and compete for that starting spot.

We also need to cross our fingers that Malacia’s issues this season are a one off bad season and not the start of career plagued by injury. Whatever’s happened hopefully they’ve fixed it and next season we get him back fully as in his first season he was exactly what we needed to backup Shaw.
Yeah, I did like the look of Malacia actually. He has good tenchnique and looked pretty good at keeping the ball as far as I can remember.

Agree at right-back, we need another player there regardless. AWB is definitely not good enough.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read recently that he opened the door to staying at Bayern, saying: "everything is possible."

People need to make up their minds.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back