Kobbie Mainoo | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Think the one area he needs to sharpen up on is the set pieces.

There's quite a few now where he's losing his man and it's costing us.

I'd say that's something he needs to work on and improve. I'm sure as he develops physically it'll be easier but I think some of it is him not being alert he needs to react a bit quicker to what's going on when defending set pieces.

I think the best thing about Mainoo’s goal was that it saved us having to read ETH out posts on here for at least for a few days!

ETH obviously is not happy at all and rightly so but as coach either they are not following his instructions or not telling them during the game. Normally the Dutch let them use their brains. As he said at that stage of the game and at that score the players are experienced enough to know not to throw everyone forward plus Antony was idiotic to try and take on 3 players and lose possession while he had team mates available to pass the ball. Why the heck did we even take that corner and try to score?

Overall a quiet game but his little bit of play to set up Dalot for the cross was brilliant.

Had a good solid game, he is so football savvy, a times you have to watch a replay to appreciate what he's just done, It's almost like he's "you play at your pace, and i'll play at mine"

His quick feet and control of the ball are really top class it reminds me of Foden when he broke through at City you could just see straight away the talent.

He showed those quick feet again in the build up for the second goal to get the ball back to Dalot the awareness of the space and ability to manipulate the ball to create the angle for the pass is top class.

He's just not phased being boxed in, the last United player I recall getting out of tricky situations so effortlessly and so often was Seba Veron.

Just got ability in spades. The game can pass him by a little but that’s totally understandable with a young player. What he does with the ball though is impressive for such a young man.

To me looks like he's comfortable anywhere I don't think he's a holding player probably doesn't have the natural instinct to sniff out the danger and dominate physically in that role but on the ball he's got the tools for the job.

I don't think you could play him as your only holding player.

To me looks like he's comfortable anywhere I don't think he's a holding player probably doesn't have the natural instinct to sniff out the danger and dominate physically in that role but on the ball he's got the tools for the job.

I don't think you could play him as your only holding player.
I agree with you and he does not have the speed too but he can take over from Bruno eventually.

I agree with you and he does not have the speed too but he can take over from Bruno eventually.

I don't see him going that far forward in the role we saw Bruno playing in his first two seasons right up with a striker but I think we might see him and Bruno either side of a holding player for the rest of this season and next.

Who that player is probably depends on the Casemiro situation it still feels like he's probably off in the summer and finding a replacement is going to be very tough.

Is he a DM or an AM? I think there is an AM trying to come out.
I’m not sure really. I think he has qualities of both so probably needs a bit of freedom to roam. He’s smart enough to understand the situation and what’s needed at certain times I think.

His composure and class on the ball for such a young player is unreal. When players around him were floundering in that first half, he showed calm and maturity.

Love watching him play. His quick feet and composure get him out of the most difficult of situations.

He seems to be the only player in the squad who can accept the ball when under pressure from the opposition.

Just never gets phased, somebody should remind him he's only 18 and playing in midfield for Manchester United!

Fear Real Madrid will come calling, and soon.

He’s incredible to watch. He has such talent and yet does the simple things. He can go passed players with relative ease and yet his first thought is retention of the ball. He just makes the right decision time after time and is never flustered. United have a superstar in this kid.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's a long way to go for him, but the talent is obviously there. I don't know if it's our midfield making him look a bit better than he actually is, but I certainly think he's one of the most naturally comfortable players on the ball I have seen. The rest I don't know yet. Priority must be to make people like Real Madrid understand that no amount of money is going to be enough. Same with Garnacho.

He was fantastic in the first half. I love watching a top quality midfielder. Easy to forget he’s 18 and this is his first season with the way he plays.

Really hope the club sign a high energy defensive midfielder in the summer.

Hopefully he can keep building up his energy levels as he’s some talent.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The lad look jaded in the second half. His performances are starting to suffer because he is being overplayed. He could do with a break but options are limited.

I think he's struggling with 2 games a week at the moment.

Needs to be looked after season is done now no point burning him out.

Nonsense, he's struggling with the lack of tactics and poor players around him.

How can a 18 year old struggle with fitness.

He made one mistake yesterday, a long way from goal. Blaming him for that is a joke. Where were the players behind him, all out of position, who told them to do that? Where was the LB, or the LB cover?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back