Euro 2024: England Thread

That’s still the tricky one who’s the third man in midfield with Rice and Bellingham.

Phillips surely has to be out of the picture now.
Henderson will be in the squad but needs to be a cheerleader rather than a starter.
Maddison feels to attacking to me if we are being that aggressive I’d play Foden in the midfield and get another attacker in probably Grealish left.
Mainoo maybe a little bit to soon for him.

Couldn't find an England related thread so might as well post in here ....

Can somebody please explain to me why 'average Joe' Gomez who only gets a game at Liverpool if Konate, Matip and/or one of their fullbacks is injured. is in the squad having last been in a squad 4 years ago.

Found it for you it was just below the Liverpool thread.

Shaw is injured as is Trippier, he’s been playing left back so guess he’s been taken as left back cover for Chilwell. Unlikely to make the full squad.

Not a lot of options in defence especially with Ben White making himself unavailable and Guehi and Mings both injured.

England Squad​

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Ajax), James Maddison (Tottenham Hotspur), Declan Rice (Arsenal)

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United) Phil Foden (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

Found it for you it was just below the Liverpool thread.

Shaw is injured as is Trippier, he’s been playing left back so guess he’s been taken as left back cover for Chilwell. Unlikely to make the full squad.

Not a lot of options in defence especially with Ben White making himself unavailable and Guehi and Mings both injured.

Seems an ideal opportunity to have a look at Alfie Doughty who has impressed quite a few this year, or Livramento, or have another look at Kilman who can play there at a push and provide cover in the middle, then there's Tyrick Mitchell ....

He's not short of full-back options, yet he's plumped for a Liverpool reserve CB, strange, he might as well put a sign up on the PL noticeboard saying he thinks all the young English fullbacks are crap.

Goalkeeper is a major weakness for England. When was the last time they had a top class keeper.
I like Ramsdale, if we replace Onana then I would look at him for sure

Pickford is excellent for England, i think we are ok there

Seems an ideal opportunity to have a look at Alfie Doughty who has impressed quite a few this year, or Livramento, or have another look at Kilman who can play there at a push and provide cover in the middle, then there's Tyrick Mitchell ....

He's not short of full-back options, yet he's plumped for a Liverpool reserve CB, strange, he might as well put a sign up on the PL noticeboard saying he thinks all the young English fullbacks are crap.

He tends to stick to who he knows and Gomez has been in the squad before but yes after this tournament it's time for some new blood to start coming into the squad.

Hopefully both Shaw and Chilwell are fit in the summer so we have two proper left backs in the squad.

Goalkeeper is a major weakness for England. When was the last time they had a top class keeper.
Probably when David Seaman and Peter Shilton were playing.

Some might say Hart, but I wouldn't agree with that.

He tends to stick to who he knows and Gomez has been in the squad before but yes after this tournament it's time for some new blood to start coming into the squad.

Hopefully both Shaw and Chilwell are fit in the summer so we have two proper left backs in the squad.

Why after the tournament, he's got two friendlies? to experiment, he might unearth somebody to play in a position where his first 2 choices are made of glass, it's no secret ....

Massive missed opportunity.

Think your bar of expectancy is a bit high for Gareth Southgate.

Why after the tournament, he's got two friendlies? to experiment, he might unearth somebody to play in a position where his first 2 choices are made of glass, it's no secret ....

Massive missed opportunity.

Well I think after the tournament it will be a new man in charge and that will mean a bit of a changing of the guard.

Think he’s got 3 possibly 4 players in his head already for left back at the euros.

Gomez has been playing pretty well at left back so picking him over players like Mitchell and Livramento isn’t exactly scandalous.

Well I think after the tournament it will be a new man in charge and that will mean a bit of a changing of the guard.

Think he’s got 3 possibly 4 players in his head already for left back at the euros.

Gomez has been playing pretty well at left back so picking him over players like Mitchell and Livramento isn’t exactly scandalous.

Don't recall saying it was scandalous.

Wonder if they're worried about other nations sniffing around him.

Getting him capped in these games doesn't lock him into anything as friendly matches don't count but he is exactly the type of player we're missing in midfield.

Will Mainoo start?

Got a feeling he might as long as he's trained well surely Southgate will want to see if how he plays alongside Rice/Bellingham.

I expect he'll go strongest XI in the Brazil game then make changed for the game midweek.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod with Saka out will be go for Palmer or Bowen on the right or will be start Foden right and play Rashford or Gordon left?

Will Mainoo start?

Got a feeling he might as long as he's trained well surely Southgate will want to see if how he plays alongside Rice/Bellingham.

I expect he'll go strongest XI in the Brazil game then make changed for the game midweek.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod with Saka out will be go for Palmer or Bowen on the right or will be start Foden right and play Rashford or Gordon left?
I suspect maybe Gallagher is slightly ahead of Mainoo in this round of fixtures, he’s had a very good season for Chelsea amidst their issues. Definitely wouldn’t rule out Mainoo starting either of the games but I would say he’s likely to be in off the bench.

As for the right I reckon Foden on the right and Rashford off the left. I think he’ll go full strength against Brazil and then make a few changes midweek.

I suspect maybe Gallagher is slightly ahead of Mainoo in this round of fixtures, he’s had a very good season for Chelsea amidst their issues. Definitely wouldn’t rule out Mainoo starting either of the games but I would say he’s likely to be in off the bench.

As for the right I reckon Foden on the right and Rashford off the left. I think he’ll go full strength against Brazil and then make a few changes midweek.

Think Gallagher has played as a number 10 at Chelsea in front of Enzo and Caicedo, I don't think he's really a centre mid.

Yeah I'd like to see Branthwaite get half hour at the end alongside Stones in the first game then maybe start alongside Maguire in the second game.

It's a shame Saka got injured as I'd have liked to see Watkins start the first game alongside Foden/Saka in the front 3 just to have a look at how he does in that Kane role should Kane not be available.

Saka injured? Yeah. So was Giggs most of the time for Wales when he played. Miraculously he will be fit for the next club game.

Never really watch England friendlies anymore because they are usually painfully uninteresting to watch. However caught some of tonight mainly just to see Mainoo and he produced a decent little cameo.

Big call to start an 18 year old in a major tournament but you could see his class out there. More composed than Gallagher was all game.

Find the reaction to the defeat odd usual idiots going way over the top.

was a competitive game for an hour, both sides missing some of their regulars. Then both teams started making subs and they scored a bit of a scrappy goal nothing to be alarmed about.

Things we probably learned are Gallagher not really a centre mid, Konsa and Gomez aren’t full backs and Dunk probably not at this level.

Positives were it looked to me like Gordon, Bowen and Mainoo all look capable of playing at this level.

Watkins had his big chance with Kane out and probably didn’t take it, the miss in the first half was hardly a shocker but it’s the sort of chance you need to take when you are the number 2 guy.

Think Gallagher has played as a number 10 at Chelsea in front of Enzo and Caicedo, I don't think he's really a centre mid.

Yeah I'd like to see Branthwaite get half hour at the end alongside Stones in the first game then maybe start alongside Maguire in the second game.

It's a shame Saka got injured as I'd have liked to see Watkins start the first game alongside Foden/Saka in the front 3 just to have a look at how he does in that Kane role should Kane not be available.

Find the reaction to the defeat odd usual idiots going way over the top.

was a competitive game for an hour, both sides missing some of their regulars. Then both teams started making subs and they scored a bit of a scrappy goal nothing to be alarmed about.

Things we probably learned are Gallagher not really a centre mid, Konsa and Gomez aren’t full backs and Dunk probably not at this level.

Positives were it looked to me like Gordon, Bowen and Mainoo all look capable of playing at this level.

Watkins had his big chance with Kane out and probably didn’t take it, the miss in the first half was hardly a shocker but it’s the sort of chance you need to take when you are the number 2 guy.

That's probably news to the dozen or so Managers that have played the hard-running box-to-box midfielder as a central-midfielder.

Number ten :rolleyes:

That's probably news to the dozen or so Managers that have played the hard-running box-to-box midfielder as a central-midfielder.

Number ten :rolleyes:

Most games I’ve seen him play he plays as the attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 that role is now widely known as the number 10 role. That’s how Palace used him and where Chelsea have played him in most games this season.

I don’t see him as being good enough with his passing to play in a midfield 2. He is a hard runner but to me he looks like a player who does his best work high up the pitch. Essentially he’s the new Mason Mount.

Maguire, Walker, Johnstone withdraw from squad due to injury. Harry Kane has also returned to Bayern due to injury

Rico Lewis and James Trafford promoted from U21s.

Most games I’ve seen him play he plays as the attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 that role is now widely known as the number 10 role. That’s how Palace used him and where Chelsea have played him in most games this season.

I don’t see him as being good enough with his passing to play in a midfield 2. He is a hard runner but to me he looks like a player who does his best work high up the pitch. Essentially he’s the new Mason Mount.

Yeah by friggin morons. He's an 8 or a 8½

Yep, which is a full 1¾ shy of a 10. Glad the penny has finally dropped.

Now for the micro-penis Influencers who are still spouting that nonsense ....

I'd say the micro-penis people are the ones who allow themselves to be wound up by this stuff.

Most of them seem to currently be occupied by the colour of some thread on a football shirt rather than the obscene price the manufacturer expects people to pay for it.

Anyway do you think Gallagher is good enough to play as a box to box midfielder at international level?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back