Antony | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

I'd love to see him pop up on the left and run the right back down the touchline a few times a match. He didn't develop a reliance on his left peg overnight, so you'd think ETH had a plan when he signed him.

I just don’t think that is part of playing on the wing anymore.

Seems like the game now if wingers go inside and full backs go outside.

Thing is when you have space you can still do someone outside and cross back in front of them to get on your left foot, I think he’s played better in the last 2 games but there’s still a long way for him to go.

I hope that a proper pre season where he works on his acceleration could make a big difference to him.

He doesn’t need to do it all the time, but I’m a huge fan of fluidity up front and the confusion it causes defenders when players pop up in unexpected places.

His RB options don’t do him favours as neither AWB or Dalot are massive threats on the overlap so opposition LBs can sell out on Antony cutting inside. He either has to develop his right foot enough where defenders need to respect it, or have a pacy RB who overlaps and can either put a cross in or cut into the box.

Top class assist. Another better performance but no ways was he man of match. That was bizarre.

Probably bang on to be honest, thought he was the one man in the first half who looked like he could do something. Created Casemiro’s goal with a wonderful pass.

Could have gone to Casemiro but he did have an impressive game I thought.

Probably bang on to be honest, thought he was the one man in the first half who looked like he could do something. Created Casemiro’s goal with a wonderful pass.

Could have gone to Casemiro but he did have an impressive game I thought.
Agreed. Most of the play came through him as we looked more threatening on the right side. He did everything but score, promising performance overall. Also seems to be building a good understanding with AWB.

Agreed. Most of the play came through him as we looked more threatening on the right side. He did everything but score, promising performance overall. Also seems to be building a good understanding with AWB.
Still needs to find a new party trick from the cutting in and curler to the far post. All too predictable, needs to mix it up a bit

I think the main thing I like about him is he keeps wanting the ball, far to many players have hidden away on that pitch for to many years this lad even when it's not coming off keeps asking for the ball and having another go.

I expect it'll still be pretty hit and miss this season, I would expect they'll look to do some work with him over the pre season to try and find some extra speed and develop his game to the next level.

My prediction is he'll end up being a bit like Nani there will be spells where he's unstoppable and there will also be spells where you want to kill him, he looks to be that sort of player but he's certainly a player who you can't predict so you want to see him getting on the ball.

Funny how his form has picked up after he totalled his car, not suggesting he does it again if his form dips mind. Just an observation.

Funny how his form has picked up after he totalled his car, not suggesting he does it again if his form dips mind. Just an observation.

Could be curse of his living quarters, he moved in Pogba's old gaff.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Made a big impact he scraps for every ball and provided the moment of quality to get the winner.

He may not have superstar talent but you need guys with his attitude he never gives up.

Absolute beauty of a hit!

Just a brilliant scrapper as well as his undoubted talent. Strange to say for a £70m+ plus signing but still a little raw but has all the ingredients there to be a top top player.

He turns 23 today, Happy Birthday to him.
He is still a bit raw as SR says but there is more to come from him. He brings swagger and unpredictability which we had been sorely lacking prior to this season. A good addition.

He's only scored 6 goals this season, which doesn't seem like a lot, but none of them have been cheapies. He scored the opener v Charlton and Everton in the cups. In the league, he scored the opener v Arsenal, scored away to City and the equalizer away to Everton, and obviously the winner v some Spanish mob in the EL. There are clearly aspects of his game that require attention, namely his right peg, and his pace/decision making on the break, but cometh the big occasion, cometh the MANtony.

He has 6 goals in 22 games which I dont think is to bad for your first season we will want more next season.

I love his aggression and fight but we need to see more from him in terms of creativity either creating chances for others or himself In every game.

Trademark goal. His goal return in Cup competitions is very good. Still him to be frustrating, is that a bit harsh? He should squared the pass instead of trying to chip the goalkeeper when he had three team mates who would have had tap ins.

Frustrating is about right. He needs to improve his use of the ball and that definitely needs him using his right boot more.

Can't fault his work rate though and he has plenty of skills. Got the potential to be excellent.

I think the fact he's so awful with his right is the reason he didn't pass. In his mind that pass isn't there because he just doesn't think to use his right foot.

Excellent finish though and he provides those moments of magic.

Brilliant finish last night. I think EtH will work on his right foot in preseason as he at least needs to be able to kick a ball with it, and find team mates who are unmarked in front of an open net. To progress to the next level he cannot continue to be so one-dimensional.

He didn't pass because he wanted the glory he backed himself to pull off the dinked finish and he ballsed it up. His right foot is good enough to play a simple 5 yard square pass to one of the 4 open players who could have tapped that in. If he can't play that pass then we've got a serious problem with him.

I suspect ETH will have had a word with him about that and make sure that in those circumstances he makes the pass next time.

Luckily in this game it didn't matter but regardless of the score he has to make that pass and setup the tap in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One of his better performances for United, just a shame about his one-on-one finishing. I was surprised he was replaced before Sancho.

The misses weren’t sitters but they were good chances but I agree I think he’s had 3 good games on the spin.

Excellent performance, especially in the second half. Brilliant assist. He’s enjoying a strong end to the season.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do in his second season.

Had a really good game today. Not phased by anything and does not let his head drop. I love his attitude and work rate. He needs to work on making the run at the far past, as he could have had two tap ins today.

Really excited to see how he develops. Having his attitude is a great starting point to being a great player, couple that with his obvious technical ability and I think we do have something very good. He is still a little raw though but he’s getting better as the season goes on.

I love that he likes a battle, always niggling and winding up the opposition.

He’s having a good run couldn’t belief the stat about that being his first goal in 15 in the league.

He can be frustrating with his end product but the lad has a set of balls on him he keeps going and wanting the ball and doesn’t back down if the opponents start taking chunks out of him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back