Antony | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

United could have put the game to bed sooner if not for his poor decision making or execution. Other than his final ball he was decent.

He’s definitely got all the tools there to be a great player but he needs to put lots of work in on the training ground. He needs to brush up on his final ball and overall decision making. I guess for 70 odd million you expect the finished product but I would definitely say he’s still a rough diamond.

Overall it’s been a good first season though with plenty of potential shown.

He's had a great first season in a team without a clear identity, and I wish folk would button it with the "he needs to use his right-foot more" nonsense, uploading a Hagi video, enjoy ....

Ok, I just think we put another player in there and there won't be much difference.

4 goals 2 assists in 22 league games. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Sancho gets slaughtered on here, 5 goals 3 assists

Ok, I just think we put another player in there and there won't be much difference.

4 goals 2 assists in 22 league games. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Sancho gets slaughtered on here, 5 goals 3 assists
Sancho is a pussy footer, Antony's got balls.
I really don't see Sancho succeeding at United and it cannot be said EtH didnt try to give him every chance.

I also think Sancho is on borrowed time. But for me, Antony needs to make some large steps to make it too.

I don't think he'll be a huge miss. There are others where I think our chances of winning would diminish, Varane, Casemiro, Bruno, Rashford etc.

Antony is not on that level where he'll be missed for me, yet.

I hope he works hard on his game over the summer. It's his first season and he's done ok.

New league, more scrutiny etc

Don't know the extent of his injury yet, obs, and I can understand some United fans still being uncertain on him, but one thing is sure, his absence makes City's planning for the Final a whole lot easier.

Don't know the extent of his injury yet, obs, and I can understand some United fans still being uncertain on him, but one thing is sure, his absence makes City's planning for the Final a whole lot easier.
Yep, how do you plan for Antony. And how do you plan for Antony and Garnacho on the flanks at the same time. Exactly why I have previously said that both of them should be starters in the final. That seems wrecked now, hopefully Garnacho will start.

Yep, how do you plan for Antony. And how do you plan for Antony and Garnacho on the flanks at the same time. Exactly why I have previously said that both of them should be starters in the final. That seems wrecked now, hopefully Garnacho will start.

We need a leftie on the right or our system totally falls down(which is slightly disturbing), and don't know what the situation is with Amad(cup tied, or on the beach) so may be tempted to throw Noam Emeran(20) who finished the u23 season strongly in just to have a leftie, or Shay Lacey(16).

System doesn't fall down at all because of what footed the right winger is. Antony isn't that much of a goal threat and Sancho likes to come inside.

With that said I'd like to see us play a front 3 of Sancho Rashford and Garnacho in the final.

Let's not over complicate things with nonsense like the Under 23's. It's a cup final and ETH is reluctant to change things anyway. But let's get Rashford and Garnacho our two most dangerous players on the pitch.

System doesn't fall down at all because of what footed the right winger is. Antony isn't that much of a goal threat and Sancho likes to come ins

Remind me of a match this season where we looked more of a threat going forward with a right-footer on the right, same with City when Mahrez doesn't play on the right, or Liverpool when Salah doesn't play on the right, or Arsenal when Saka doesn't play on the right, could go on but ....

his absence makes City's planning for the Final a whole lot easier.
Does it, don't we all know he goes down the wing, gets to 18 yards, cuts in and shoots, sometimes passes. Don't think Antony is unpredictable, which is why he needs to work this summer.

Sadly, I think he'll stick Bruno on the right and bring in Fred

Remind me of a match this season where we looked more of a threat going forward with a right-footer on the right, same with City when Mahrez doesn't play on the right, or Liverpool when Salah doesn't play on the right, or Arsenal when Saka doesn't play on the right, could go on but ....

You're talking about 2 players who are absolutely the best players their teams have. Mahrez hasn't scored a league goal since February.

A player being left footed and able to cut in and shoot from that position is obviously a benefit but isn't the be all and end all. The idea of throwing a 16 yr old in to an FA Cup final because he's left footed is moronic.

Cristiano's 42 goal season came from playing from the right. Being right footed didn't matter too much to him. The quality of player is very much more important than just being left footed so plug him in. Especially when the player we have that will go in to that position is one that likes to come inside and play interchanging football not get to the byline and whip it in. So the game itself doesn't change.

As for the 3 you mentioned they're also in a complete different class to Antony.

I wouldn’t have played Antony in the final regardless of his injury. We need to pack the midfield so would get Bruno down the right and whack Fred in the midfield to add something extra in there. If we go into the final with Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno in a three then we will be slaughtered.

rumour it's a repeat of the injury that took him out for 2 months last season

I wouldn’t have played Antony in the final regardless of his injury. We need to pack the midfield so would get Bruno down the right and whack Fred in the midfield to add something extra in there. If we go into the final with Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno in a three then we will be slaughtered.

Why would you want to change the system we've played all season, and that the players are used to, if you wanted extra protection in midfield you'd just bring Fred or McTominay in for Eriksen surely?

System doesn't fall down at all because of what footed the right winger is. Antony isn't that much of a goal threat and Sancho likes to come inside.

With that said I'd like to see us play a front 3 of Sancho Rashford and Garnacho in the final.

Let's not over complicate things with nonsense like the Under 23's. It's a cup final and ETH is reluctant to change things anyway. But let's get Rashford and Garnacho our two most dangerous players on the pitch.

In EtH's mind they obviously do, if he doesn't have a left-footed CB and RW he looks tactically naive at times, it's quite disturbing actually.

You'd play a front three who are all better suited to playing wide-left? And none of them offer anything on the right. How will City cope!?

Yeah let's scrap the reserve side if we didn't dip into it when needed.

You don't go from under 23's to cup final, I think most people would think that's daft

You don't go from under 23's to cup final, I think most people would think that's daft

Depends how set in your way you are, and conveniently overlooked for the RW berth was my first suggestion of Amad, wonder why that was, mmmm

Haven’t seen anything official from the club but early reports were 2 months so he will be back in pre season.

Suggestion was it was ankle ligaments

Depends how set in your way you are, and conveniently overlooked for the RW berth was my first suggestion of Amad, wonder why that was, mmmm

That was overlooked because Amad is cup tied thus another stupid suggestion.

Yes, it kind of went out of fashion with the Shakespearian era.
However, should you choose to use it as a conjunctive adverb like above then a comma should be placed before it.

Back