Antony | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester 3-1 Arsenal - 4th September 2022

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Definitely think that early goal will help him settle. He looked confident and like he is going to try to be the player that's got him to the top rather than shying away.

He has the talent, and now the manager and the stage. The fans will be patient with him and forgive anything he tries that may not come off. I'm certainly not drawing any parallels with Ronaldo, but if Antony continues to work hard and listen to the manager, he can achieve everything he wants to.

Interesting that you're not drawing any comparisons with Ronaldo, because that was the first thing I thought too but didn't want to say it out loud. That lad has all the makings of something special.

Interesting that you're not drawing any comparisons with Ronaldo, because that was the first thing I thought too but didn't want to say it out loud. That lad has all the makings of something special.
Argh, fair cop guv :D.

I do like his self confidence to try things and not be afraid to look silly if it fails.

Solid debut took his goal well and showed off some tidy footwork will be interesting to see what he can do when Utd see more of the ball and are more on the front foot.

The debut goal will help lift some of the pressure but looking at him he doesn't seem to be a kid who feels pressure he looks a strong character and I did hear someone who watched him at Ajax say he's not the sort of player to be booted out of games. If defenders start kicking him he still keeps coming which I think is an important attribute for any wide player you can't let the opponent rattle you with an early tackle.

Xhaka tried to kick him out of it. He just gave it back to him.

He's going to be the sort of player that gets you excited everytime he touches it. I think he could bring the best out of Rashford and Sancho too.

Excited to see more of him. Think he'd only had one training session with the team before Sunday's game.

Think the positive thing is we've now got 3 quality wide players so there's pressure to perform on all of them and Anthony having worked with ETH will hopefully set the standard for the other two in terms of work rate which for Rashford/Sancho can sometimes be lacking.

Also, means we have more options off the bench as I don't see Rashford starting many games at centre forward when Martial and Ronaldo are both fit.

I'd forgotten about this in the build up to his goal. Love that sort of swagger and arrogance on his debut.

Premier League: Manchester City 6-3 Manchester United - 2nd October 2022

Cracking goal and showed glimpses of what he will bring to the team.

Premier League: Manchester City 6-3 Manchester United - 2nd October 2022

Cracking goal and showed glimpses of what he will bring to the team.
Currently our only forward player that fights for the team and playing with confidence.

Brilliant goal. Not easy to beat Ederson from that distance which shows the quality of the strike.

Premier League: Everton 1-2 Manchester United - 9th October 2022

He was quality in the first half, further glimpses of what he will bring to the attack. Quieter second half.

Money well spent me thinks. I like him.

Yeah I really like him. A really cool finisher and I think he will get better and better.

Like he’s got a bit attitude about him as well. We definitely have some better characters in the side with him, Martinez and Casemiro bolstering this side of things.

Never doubted his ability and was glad we signed him but was worried he wouldn't score enough goals ....

I don't think the wingers are asked to help the full backs he wants them high and wide at all times ready to attack the space when the ball gets turned over. Their defensive job is to try and press high and win the ball back before the opponent plays out. We still haven't quite mastered that side of things yet.

I don't disagree. Dalot has had a decent season but we need some competition for him as AWB is nowhere to be found and we know he's not good enough.

The pressing would work better with a centre forward who's actually in his prime years as well as there's no point trying to play a pressing style with Ronaldo as he can't do it at his age.

This season they've just got to find something that works to hopefully make the top 4 and then plug in the remaining missing pieces next summer.

On Anthony we've had a lot of attacking players in recent years especially in the wide areas who've been slow to get up and running he's got off to a flier which is great. The finishing looks top draw, the movement is also good if he can add a bit more to his right foot so he can go outside as well as inside he's going to be some player. Got a decent attitude on him as well he isn't afraid to take the ball and I think has a bit of niggle to him he doesn't look like he's going to be kicked out of games.

I don't know, Arjen Robben made a career of cutting inside and curling one into the far corner. Loving his swagger and flair for a trick or two. Plus he's only 22.

Thoughts on the Spin?

People seem to be losing their minds a bit over a silly skill.

I don't get all the outrage. It's not like he lost the ball doing the spin. He lost it making a poor pass afterwards.

I don't get all the outrage. It's not like he lost the ball doing the spin. He lost it making a poor pass afterwards.

Yeah I don’t get it either.

it’s a bit of a silly move but maybe it distracts the opponent enough to switch off and not follow Casemiro‘s run but Anthony didn’t make the pass stick.

I did like Ten Hag’s response to questions about him being subbed.

when I see things like that I just think, nobhead. No matter who they play for.

Thoughts on the Spin?

People seem to be losing their minds a bit over a silly skill.

Seem him do it at Ajax and for Brazil, why it would bother anybody is beyond me. Thought football was supposed to be an entertainment.

What's silly about it? It's an incredible piece of skill, you could get the top 100 players in the World currently and give them 10 chances to do it and you'd be able to count on the fingers of one hand how many times the move was completed successfully - go get a ball, find a bit of grass and try it, you'll see.

Seem him do it at Ajax and for Brazil, why it would bother anybody is beyond me. Thought football was supposed to be an entertainment.

What's silly about it? It's an incredible piece of skill, you could get the top 100 players in the World currently and give them 10 chances to do it and you'd be able to count on the fingers of one hand how many times the move was completed successfully - go get a ball, find a bit of grass and try it, you'll see.

I can do that trick with a football, tennis ball, ping pong ball it’s nothing and I’m a footballer with pretty much zero skill.

Any professional football that can’t do that should be forced to retire immediately.

It is a bit of fun I don’t really get what he’s trying to do by doing it in the way he did in that game.

I can do that trick with a football, tennis ball, ping pong ball it’s nothing and I’m a footballer with pretty much zero skill.

Any professional football that can’t do that should be forced to retire immediately.

It is a bit of fun I don’t really get what he’s trying to do by doing it in the way he did in that game.

rolling.gif

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back