Scott McTominay | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

Not bad for a squad player is he?
Are you ready for this…? Make a note of the time and date folks.

I agree with you. As a squad player I think he is pretty good. He can play a number of roles and do a number of jobs. He isn’t the most talented but he does try hard and he will fight and battle and get you goals. In fact as a squad player I’d say he’s a good one.

Are you ready for this…? Make a note of the time and date folks.

I agree with you. As a squad player I think he is pretty good. He can play a number of roles and do a number of jobs. He isn’t the most talented but he does try hard and he will fight and battle and get you goals. In fact as a squad player I’d say he’s a good one.

THUD

Agent talk me thinks.

He has a contract until 2025 with an option for another year.

There is no rush whether you think he deserves one or not to give this guy a new contract.

Get the new CEO, director of football and others in place then make these sorts of decisions.

I like McTominay as a squad player - but has he done enough to warrant a new contract? I don't think so. He's not that impressive when he starts games; moves out of position and makes the team generally more inconsistent as a whole. I'd be happy for him to stay in the same capacity as he is right now. We don't want him anywhere near the starting line up on a regular basis though. He just isn't that amazing, certainly not good enough to use in a title challenging team. I think his best attribute is his work ethic, and that's just not good enough at this level.

I’ve no idea how he played the full game. That’s on Teg Hag. He barely touched the ball and when he did the quality was severely lacking. I question whether he’s good enough to be a squad player but he will be next season because of likely departures in the summer. He drags down the performance of the team.

I think when players are playing well around him he does look better, however when the team is shocking he does look like one of the worst ones.

The lot of them were dreadful tonight but some were worse than others.

He was awful tonight, probably left on because he pops up with a goal at times but he wasn’t in it at all.

I would keep him as a squad player because he came come on and score goals but time and time again we have seen this season he offers next to nothing on the ball he was anonymous last night.

You cannot rely on him when we also have Rashford so poor and Bruno so poor. He is neither a DM nor and AM and all he can do is fight for the ball in the boxes and arrive late in the opposition box. Actually a poor mans Fellaini. I would rather have Fellaini in my team than McTominay.

Strange player for me he can be a match winner in some games but almost totally disappears in most.

He can impact a game but he can’t control one.

He has been a handy weapon when used in attacking positions but when he’s asked to drop into a deeper he often struggles. That if the McTominay dilemma, to me he shouldn’t be doing the job we are asking him to do as we know he’s not really up to it, so it’s no surprise when he struggles but if others were fit he wouldn’t be in there.

He can impact a game but he can’t control one.

He has been a handy weapon when used in attacking positions but when he’s asked to drop into a deeper he often struggles. That if the McTominay dilemma, to me he shouldn’t be doing the job we are asking him to do as we know he’s not really up to it, so it’s no surprise when he struggles but if others were fit he wouldn’t be in there.
This is where I have a problem. It is not a question of others not being fit. We have only 2 DMs in the team and that is Cas and Amrabat who has never been given a decent chance as a DM. Mainioo is not a DM by any stretch of imagination.

Played quite a few games for Scotland as a CB and did well, very well in fact, yet struggles playing CDM for United, now is that because he doesn't have the range of pass needed, or that our forward are so woeful at making the right moves to make passing easier/possible?

This is where I have a problem. It is not a question of others not being fit. We have only 2 DMs in the team and that is Cas and Amrabat who has never been given a decent chance as a DM. Mainioo is not a DM by any stretch of imagination.

I just don't think he's looked fit which is why he's tried Mainoo and McTominay there.

It's a tough role especially in this team because we are so wide open I think it's a bit of a cursed role for whoever gets it.

Played quite a few games for Scotland as a CB and did well, very well in fact, yet struggles playing CDM for United, now is that because he doesn't have the range of pass needed, or that our forward are so woeful at making the right moves to make passing easier/possible?
I would say a combination of both. Only Rasmus can even hold up the ball for a few seconds. The rest of the 3 are crap. Garnacho will dribble and get it up the field but he needs help too by others running into spaces. Bruno cannot hold up the ball to save his life and the less said about Rashford the better.

I just don't think he's looked fit which is why he's tried Mainoo and McTominay there.

It's a tough role especially in this team because we are so wide open I think it's a bit of a cursed role for whoever gets it.
We are wide open because of Bruno and the forwards. Bruno is always out of position and the forwards need to do their jobs. We have tall CBs and it is not DeGea in goal now so the aerial threat is less than before. But we are getting open in the middle always now. A team simply cannot press as individuals and that is what we do. Either ETH is an idiot ( I do not think so from his past clubs) or the players are not listening to him at all.
I am sure most of us remember the Schmeichel incident where he had an argument with SAF and was going to be sold the next day? ETH needs to be more strong and bench players who does not listen to him. Be it Bruno or Rashford or anyone else.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back