Status
Not open for further replies.
Powell had a very good game for an 18 year old going to a tough stadium ("Welcome to HELL") and playing in an European competition. His passing was decent for his skill level and that one good shot he had was deflected away at the last minute. One thing he needs to work on is off-the-ball movement and increasing pitch intelligence, but all of that comes with time.

The trick with a youngster of 18 is not to overplay him due to him still growing. I think he should get no more than ~25 total appearances this season and be loaned out to a Championship side next season.

For an 18 year old, he is not bad at all and shows much promise, we just need to cultivate him properly.

His off the ball movement was excellent, it was his passing that let him down.

Did well when he came on but his passing let him down again in my opinion, think he tried to force it too much.

I don't know what everybody else thinks. Powell for me just seems to stand out. Watching the game last night Cleverly, Powell and Chicha just seemed to be everywhere I looked. I really do like this kid. Like to see him get a bit more game time.

The kid has potential alright. I was impressed by his work rate last night; he tracked back on several occasions. He can pass, shoot, has quick feet and is comfortable using either foot. He has a good build too. Hopefully he'll have a few sub appearances over the next month.

Seemed to be shaken by that injury last night. His agility seemed hampered, especially when trying to change direction quickly. Not his best game, and I think his future is in a central position rather than out wide.

Did he get injured against Villa U21s? I remember him going off and he's not been seen since then. If he's not been injured, surprised he's not been on the bench for the first team.

Leicester would be good for him. Not so good for Lingard though, if he stays there.

I try not to get too excited about the young lads but i just can't help it with Powell, he seems so mature for such a young man and is showing real signs of a quality midfielder. I am sure he will be a big hit at United for many years to come and I hope to see him getting some game time against West Ham on Saturday.

Fergie: You see Nick Powell against Arsenal in the Reserves on Monday and you are thinking "he can be a first-team player"

Played as a striker for the U21s again today. They lost 3-1. Was hoping he'd start v Reading on Monday, not sure now. Bench maybe.

Januzaj and Powell earn praise - Official Manchester United Website

Fergie:
"He and Nick, of the younger players, are at the top. They're very good.

"Nick has had a few injuries and has had a bit of bad luck so we feel Carrington is the best place for him at the moment [rather than sending him out on loan]. That way, we can work on bringing him on physically and preparing him for next season."

Joyce:
"Nick's got talent," he told ManUtd.com. "He can play anywhere on a football pitch as he's got really good ability.

Powell has been named in England's U19s squad to face Turkey's U19s on Thursday 21st March 2013.

What have you made of Powell's season so far? Where do you see him this time next year?

Can see Powell going out on loan next season hopefully to a Prem side but only if he gets games there, otherwise a Championship club will do. Fergie mentioned he's had a few injuries which has probably stopped him featuring for the first team more. Looks a talented player.

Feel he'll be in the mix next season unless he goes out on loan. A bit like Pogba was last season, he's too good for the under 21's and can be a bit subdued at times but at a higher level he has the ability to step it up. Every cameo he's had for the first team this season has been very impressive, physically he's ready and he's got the confidence and swagger not to be fazed by the step up. What I like about him is he's that bit different as a character, all the top players tend to be. No player is a cert to make it but Powell would be a good bet.

Is a shame we have been playing him up front for the U21's as we have no other strikers. He has done a great job, but would prefer to see him in the midfield role we are intending to use him in for the future

It would be good to see more of him against Premier League opposition once the league's wrapped up. Hopefully that'll secure him a good loan to a Premier League club next season Wigan, Sunderland or Norwich have been good destinations in the past so we really can get a chance to see what he can do week in week out. I don't really watch much reserve team action but the amount of goals he's scoring is really positive and the few games he's had in the first team have all been positive and to be fair a damn sight more impressive then any of Pogba's were for us. I feel really optimistic about his development. The prospect of Powell, Cleverley and Tunnicliffe in centre-mid in a few years is quite exciting if they all realise their potential we'll have the goalscorer, the passer, the tackler. We've been crying out for new players in this position for years but now I'm thinking strengthen the left hand side of the team (Ideally Baines and Bale) and give these boys a chance to develop

Missed a pen at the end of the game but played very well apparently and the U19s won 1-0.

Am surprised he played for the U19's and not the U21's but I suppose the experience will do him good.

He deffo needs to go out on loan at a Prem team next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back