Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi and Ronaldo stayed in Spain too long for me.

They should have both moved a few years back. I'd be amazed if anyone touches Messi now.

Hard to really back that up when Spanish clubs dominated the last decade in Europe. Between 2011-2020 think they won 7 out of 10 Champions League. La Liga really was the place to be but I do think that period is over for them now.

Ronaldo left at the right time I think that era at Madrid was over and he had played for other clubs before he wasn’t 100% Madrid like Messi is with Barca.

I do think if Messi had played at another club before Barca he might have left like Ronaldo did but Barca is all he knows so I think he’d rather win there than win anywhere else.

To be fair to him he's been at the most elite of elite clubs during their pomp and he was at the heart of it all. He is Barca's Giggs, 700 or so apps for them. A wonderful achievement in the modern game and will go down in history, I'm sure he'll add more to that tally as he will have a few seasons left in him yet. Why should he move now? It'll kind of have that feeling when Ferdinand went to QPR lol

So the manager and sporting director are both gone, elections have been bought forward as well.

I expect Messi to back down on these claims he wants to leave as long as he's happy to work with Koeman.

The Barca director said just 7 players aren’t for sale including Messi, Dembele and De Jong.

No mention of Pique, Busquets or Rakitic so got to imagine they’ll take offers for most players.

Should smash a bid in for their young man Ansu Fati. He looks a supreme talent! But I suspect there is more than the 7 they don’t want to really sell.

Think he's just signed a new deal so you can forget him.

They're off loading deadwood so I wouldn't go anywhere near them as they'll all want huge wages and I think they'd be coming here for the wrong reasons.

Messi has told Koeman he is more likely to leave Barca than stay.
Some reporting that PSG and City are the only likely suitors. Oh really? I suspect Ole won’t like that assessment. I think we will be in for him.

I can't see Ole being in for him at all, goes against everything he's building.

No it doesn’t. It would be Cantona type signing. Only more expensive.

Some such as Cosmic call for us to spend big as a means of proving we are a big club and buy our way back to the top, others advocate a more cautious approach of spending wisely.
The interesting thing for me when it comes to Messi is, those who would be against us making a move for him aren't actually concerned about the cost, they actually think we are not worthy of such a godly (in football terms) figure. They cannot bring themselves to imagine such a prospect.

I just don’t think it’s worth putting a 33 yr old on 800k a week. I’d rather sign Sancho at this point in time. If you could invent a time machine and get me Messi in his 20’s I’d be all over it but now it’s about picking up the next player whose going to dominate the sport for 10 years.

he seems a bit of a prima dona, I think Ole is targeting players not only younger, but who will fit with team and go with the plan.

You say you'd rather get Sancho, for that kind of money you could probably get Mbappe.

Surely you would only take messi at this stage of his career on a free or minimal transfer fee and wages that don't break structure.

Messi has these strops all the time unless he prepared to chuck it in and go back to Argentina I don't see him playing for anyone else in Europe.

Even with FFP relaxed next season there's no way PSG or City can sign him without screwing themselves financially same with Juventus unless Messi massively drops his wages which he won't. I mean even with 1 year on his contract what would Barca be asking for him? £50-60m? He reportedly earns anywhere between 800k and 1m a week.

The only club who might be able to pull it off would be us but as much as I love Messi the ship has sailed there.

I think he's just having a bit of a sulk they didn't win anything this season but a few weeks off and he'll be ready to go again.

I think he has 1 year left on his contract so would be affordable to buy, Barca would still want £50m or so I'd suspect. It's his wages and his say so in a team that would be off putting. Saying that, Ronaldo seems to have fitted in ok at Juve and has done the business there. I just can't see him at Utd. Ever.

He seems like a stroppy little mare
He’s 33.
His wage demands would be extraordinary.

Don’t want him.

Of course if his wage demands were over the top then I wouldn't be interested. But does he really have a need for money? is that still his motive, or does he want a fresh and last challenge before his career comes to an end.

Of course if his wage demands were over the top then I wouldn't be interested. But does he really have a need for money? is that still his motive, or does he want a fresh and last challenge before his career comes to an end.

If he didn't want the money why did he ask for it off Barca? It's a status thing at the end of the day he sees himself as the best in the world so he should be the best paid player in the world and it's hard to argue that logic I guess.

There's always been talk of a return to his boyhood club in Argentina at the end of his career personally I've never bought into that idea I always felt he'd retire at Barca maybe do 1 year in MLS for a stupid amount of money but couldn't see him going to another club in Europe.

He wants 1 more European Cup he probably feels he's got 2 maybe 3 more years left in the legs to get it so he'll want to go into a ready made team that can win that tournament next season.

To get him out of Barca you probably need to swap a player to cover the transfer fee then you need to cover his huge wages. In my head the move that could make sense is Barca cough up a bit of cash plus Messi for Martinez from Inter who they wanted before Covid but now can't afford. In Italy the tax rate is low that Inter might be able to cover the wages.

Would re-ignite the Messi vs Ronaldo war in Italy with the 2 biggest rivals like some horrible Hollywood remake where all the original cast are just older.

I think he's just having a sulk and he'll be back in the Barca shirt next season and beyond.

Would re-ignite the Messi vs Ronaldo war in Italy with the 2 biggest rivals like some horrible Hollywood remake where all the original cast are just older.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. He wants more £££ than Ronaldo, more Ballon D'or's than Ronaldo, more goasl etc etc. It's a race to go down in history as the best. Unfortunately for the pair of them, they both came along at pretty much the same time, these types of players don't come by in a lifetime normally. It's a strop to be top dog again!

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. He wants more £££ than Ronaldo, more Ballon D'or's than Ronaldo, more goasl etc etc. It's a race to go down in history as the best. Unfortunately for the pair of them, they both came along at pretty much the same time, these types of players don't come by in a lifetime normally. It's a strop to be top dog again!

Nah he’s fighting against the dying of the light.

He knows he’s only got a few years left and he’s sick of Barca being run by idiots who aren’t buying the right players.

He probably knows they aren’t going to be challenging for a CL any time soon so he’s thinking about going somewhere he can win now.

Only to a South American club he can leave in a free

Anyone that say they don’t want one of the greatest is talking out of there backside 33 he still got plenty in the tank and plenty to prove I’m sure everyone would be getting excited if it popped up he’s going to AON for a medical with us

Look I'd be excited if he signed of course.

But, it goes against what we are building. It's sgiving up on the grand plan 1 year in. We are meant to be buying young hungry players. If we can afford Messi you have to wonder why we are mucking around Sancho.

Out of the two I'd rather Sancho, as he is the future.

I don't think the club will be interested.

If I had the choice this summer between Messi and Sancho I’m taking Sancho. Yes I’d love to see Messi in a United shirt but it’s a 2 yr stop gap and Sancho can be around for the next decade.

Tom Brady is considered to be the greatest Quarterback of all time. In American football the guy is massive, there is no bigger draw.
The Glazers quite simply could not resist him and signed him for the Tanya Bay Buccaneers in 2019.
In football that will not be able to resist Messi, they will likely make a serious move for him and if they succeed we will instantly become title challengers.

Here's what will happen... All the top brass at Barca will resign or be sacked. Messi will stay and dictate who comes, Koeman included. I can't see him staying.

you think? if the manager doesn't want him then they shouldn't.

I hope they stay out the football side of things myself.

If Ole wants him then fair enough. Although I guess we'll never know if he does or doesn't

Besides, I don't tink he'll come to united if City or Paris want him.

Seems a waste to me, for one/two seasons. I'd rather Sancho if we had that money knocking about.

edit

As red warrior said, I'd also be amazed if he actually left.

Don’t think he’ll leave in the end. He’s spat his dummy out, he’s thrown up all over his new Gucci baby grow but the powers that be will calm him down and we’ll still see Messi in a Barca shirt next year.

Tom Brady is considered to be the greatest Quarterback of all time. In American football the guy is massive, there is no bigger draw.
The Glazers quite simply could not resist him and signed him for the Tanya Bay Buccaneers in 2019.
In football that will not be able to resist Messi, they will likely make a serious move for him and if they succeed we will instantly become title challengers.

And yet everybody thinks the Brady signing is an awful signing...because it is. Signing a player that at the peak of his powers was one of the best in the world with a maximum of 2 yrs left and hoping he can drag you to victory doesn't usually work out.

you think? if the manager doesn't want him then they shouldn't.

Who is bigger at Barca, Messi or the new manager Koeman? There is only one of those 2 that will lose every time if push comes to shove lol. The way Barca is run it wouldn't surprise me if Koeman went before he even managed a game..... with Messi hand picking the new manager. I reckon Suarez being given the boot has really set Messi off as well.

As I said, I think it's a massive strop. Heads will roll and Messi will get his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back