Liverpool 2020/21 Discussion

Are you the films promotional manager? Your recommendation has filtered over multiple threads.
It's relevant. He said The King, I said The Three Kings. This is the Liverpool thread and Liverpool feature in the film.
Available to rent or buy on Prime by the way. Fergie is no stranger in it either and there is amazing footage that I had never seen before of the Busby era and the Old Trafford of that era.

Eerr..... 2 threads is not multiple.

Liverpool will win the league quite comfortably.
They will probably win it next year, too.
That will give them 21 titles and at least 6 champions leagues...
...which will make them Britain’s most decorated club!!!
In fact, that will happen this year...
Or, maybe, they are already.
You are losing ground.
And if the FIFA club World Cup takes place in 2021, with 8 teams from Europe (Liverpool have, reportedly, already accepted), there is every likelihood that United will miss out.
They call it the £100million tournament.
It will replace the current structure and be held every 4 years.
I’m not gloating or rubbing your noses in Liverpool’s success...
...just pointing out it’s time United put a foot on the accelerator.

Since this post Liverpool have played 5 league games.

1-1 West Brom
0-0 Newcastle
1-0 away loss to Southampton
0-0 United
0-1 home loss to Burnley

The Anfield home record is gone. They're in 4th. Will drop to 7th if teams win their games in hand.

They're only 6 points behind, I wouldn't write them off yet. But the FB form is a real problem.

We should have gone for them a bit more and got the 3 points

They're only 6 points behind, I wouldn't write them off yet. But the FB form is a real problem.

We should have gone for them a bit more and got the 3 points

I'm not writing them off but next up it's Spurs away for them.

The bookies now have us as second favourites for the league. Liverpool out to 8/1

Don't get me wrong, I am well chuffed where we are. But I don't think we should be second favs.

City will win, no doubt, and I think Leicester will finish above us and probably Liverpool. I have changed my mind on this, City will win, second close between united and leicester

But who knows, that's the joy of football. Just wish we didn't have a cup game this weekend.

I guess what this does show is, last year people saying it's the best ever prem team were just way off. They needed to do it again this year.
I can't see how this run of bad form can last, but these two think it will. So maybe I'm wrong. But that would be one huge turn around, champions by miles to missing top 4!

6 points is no gap whatsoever that can change quick if they find a bit of form, so way to early to write them off but they do look a shadow of the side from the last 3 seasons at the moment and hard to really see them suddenly clicking.

I didn't see the game but saw the highlights there's a huge chance for Origi which he misses if he makes it 1-0 they probably win that game easily but he hits the bar. Last season they were so ruthless they didn't blow teams away every week but this season they can't take the points in the close games like they did last year.

Retaining a title is hard not many teams manage to do it you need a special mentality to keep going again and again after winning titles. They wouldn't be the first team to romp to the title then drop off massively the next season think back to City's first season the year after they were miles off. Chelsea romped the league under Mourinho and Conte then had a huge drop off the following season it happens even City last season were nowhere near the team they had been the 2 years before.

Klopp is having a bit of a breakdown as well moaning about absolutely anything and everything to deflect from the poor form which is fine but you can see he's not happy. I wonder if the dressing room is a bit unhappy at the moment the rumours of Salah wanting out maybe he's not the only one who thinks it's mission accomplished at Liverpool and wants a new challenge.

They could go down as low as 6th and it’s only 6 points but there’s so many teams in front of you it makes it harder if they were 6 points but 2nd would be a lot easier in my opinion.

Klopp saying he felt like it was impossible to lose yesterday sums up their attitude.

Klopp saying he felt like it was impossible to lose yesterday sums up their attitude.

Think that was a translation thing it was more a game that felt impossible to lose when you dominate a game that much you shouldn't lose.

He then basically said right now his players aren't sharp enough.

Fair I only saw it in print form.

Got to say I love how everyone is coming round on the idea that Klopp is a bit of an idiot. After all the bandwagon jumping when they were winning every single week. And he was the cheeriest most happy manager of all time and why can't everyone be like him.

It's going to be a test for him to get them out of this. This will be the real sign of how good he is.

But we have said this for years, they have been so lucky with injuries over the last few seasons, while everyone else had teh normal injuries they had none. Now he's got some they are struggling.

Klopp has always been a bit nasty very similar to Fergie but the cuddly laughing Klopp image hid it away to an extent but he's an awful loser always has been always will be.

He's aggressive and he gets right in the opposition managers face and even the officials who I think go a bit easy on him because they're a bit scared of him. He had a bit of a verbal with Dyche at half time but both of them brushed it off after the game no point grassing each other up.

He was pretty damning of himself last night post game was clearly trying to take the pressure off the players he knows they're all struggling massively for form. He says it's his job to get the players in the right frame of mind mentally which is what he's saying they are struggling with he needs to rebuild that confidence so in the split second moments they are making the right decisions and be clinical.

If they can get Mane & Salah back in form they'll be back in business they aren't shipping loads of goals they just aren't scoring enough.

They're not shipping goals but part of the problem is the injuries I don't particularly rate Henderson but not having Fabinho and Henderson in midfield is clearly hurting them.

Think just getting Matip and another recognised CB back so they can move them two up the field will help them.

Also has to be asked if Thiago suits their style of play or does him coming in slow the game down and help teams defend against them. A wonderful player that doesn't suit the system? They destroy teams with the pace the move the ball down the pitch and that isn't his game

I don't watch them that often but to me it looks like they're not being clinical with their chances in a way they have been in the last few years either the cross isn't bang on or the finish is poor they still get into a lot of dangerous positions they just don't punish you. Klopp was big on that post game last night.

They also give the opponent a sniff now last season they had a lot of clean sheets VVD not being their means teams are getting a goal against them regularly now so 1-0 wins become 1-1 draws whereas last season they could shut these teams out much easier.

Thiago is a tricky one I'm not sure he slows them down that much and his passing ability is miles better than the normal option but maybe with him they can't quite press as aggressively as they do normally so teams are able to break out against them a bit easier when the ball is lost. It's a fair shout though the midfield that won the title isn't really there this season.

The problems started when Thiago was out injured so not sure you can really put the blame on him to me the issue is with that front 3 if they're not scoring Liverpool aren't scoring.

IDFD...
...it seems that Liverpool have been hit by injuries this season far harder than their title chasing rivals. Losing VVD was a double blow...
...their best player and dominant leader. The team has suffered with his absence more than l thought. They are having to fit pieces where they don’t belong. Their balance has been thrown off and confidence is clearly an issue now.
Is United’s best player(???) also their leader???
Is City’s best player (DeBruyne) also their leader???
Imagine United without Roy Keane for a season, in the Fergie years?!?!
Liverpool, IMO, the best team in the country at their best, have been decimated at the heart of their defence, and they may not buy any one in this window.
City, in contrast, have seen a big upturn in performance and results since their two central defenders started playing so well.
And then there is the drop-off in goals. Jota, right now, is another big loss.
It is your good fortune that United haven’t had to contend with such disruption...indeed any disruption.
Like I said, the 3rd/4th best team in the country has a very good chance to ‘steal’ the premier league this season. Scratching results in the manner you have been doing, and the Cavani signing, gives you a great chance. And now DeBruyne missing for some weeks. Not to mention Aguero.
The football gods are doing their best for you.
Don’t mess it up...

We wouldn’t be stealing anything we’d be winning it.

Liverpool didn’t steal it last season and Leicester didn’t steal it in 2016 they won it fair and square by being the best team.

Last season we didn’t have Pogba for about 2/3 of the season and Liverpool for 2 or 3 seasons have had very few injuries to contend with they’ve now had two hit at once with both their first choice CB’s getting injured. Creates another problem because the 3rd choice is also injury prone.

Van Dijk being injured I don’t think is hurting them it’s their front 3 all dropping off massively form wise in the last 2 months apart from that palace game where everything they hit went in the goals aren’t flowing for them.

Tbf Los Blancos when you made the post about Liverpool winning this season and next comfortably you'd known about the VVD injury for quite a while.

I find any Liverpool fan moaning about injuries quite amusing though. They went 2 seasons without an injury to their starting 11. It was crazy. Now they've got 2 injuries and the whole world is falling apart.

Football is a squad game and if you can't deal with two injuries you have to question just how great a team you really are.

Remember people calling this Liverpool side the greatest premier League team of all time last season? It was laughable calling a team that hadn't won it let alone retained the greatest team going and now they have proved it was overhyped. Especially if as you say they're such a one man team.

Liverpool are very much in this title race but they have to stop feeling sorry for themselves and blaming luck. De Bruyne (the league's best player) missed half the 2018/19 season, City didn't moan about it they went and shattered every record going.

jsp...
...Liverpool ran away with it last season. Clearly the best team.
Leicester, modest club, limited resources, worthy winners.
This season is different, favours the big clubs, but different. If you win it, it won’t matter how people view you. But this season, unlike others, might not be won by the best team in the country.
Agree with you about Liverpool’s injury record in recent seasons.
Thought, though, that Pogba’s absence would be a good thing for the team??
And your assertion that VVD’s injury isn’t hurting them is very strange.
It’s Big Ben without the clock.
San Francisco without the Golden Gate Bridge.
Sydney (beautiful) without the Opera house and Harbour bridge.
Your car with faulty steering.
Everything flows from him.

IDFD...
...l did say his loss has been felt more than l thought.
And l never said they are a one man team. But it is a blow when you lose your best player, who is also the leader of the team.
You are right, of course, it is a squad game. And l’m not making excuses for them. I’m not bothered about Liverpool.
But with games coming thick and fast, in a compacted season, there probably isn’t the time to work on things, that you would usually have.
You are right that the media did fall in love with this team before they had any right to expect. If they were called the best team in Premier league history, then l can understand how irritating that would be.
They are still in it, could still win it. But it does look like City might be your biggest danger.
If so, my prediction went up in flames.
But l do contend that without his loss, Liverpool would be leading the charge now. He is a huge miss. More than l first thought.
I don’t know if there’s a player at Utd whose loss would be felt as much...

jsp...
...Liverpool ran away with it last season. Clearly the best team.
Leicester, modest club, limited resources, worthy winners.
This season is different, favours the big clubs, but different. If you win it, it won’t matter how people view you. But this season, unlike others, might not be won by the best team in the country.
Agree with you about Liverpool’s injury record in recent seasons.
Thought, though, that Pogba’s absence would be a good thing for the team??
And your assertion that VVD’s injury isn’t hurting them is very strange.
It’s Big Ben without the clock.
San Francisco without the Golden Gate Bridge.
Sydney (beautiful) without the Opera house and Harbour bridge.
Your car with faulty steering.
Everything flows from him.

Last season without Pogba before Bruno arrived our attack had zero creativity we were relying on players like James, Lingard and Periera to create chances it was painful to watch. After lockdown Bruno and the return of Pogba gave us an attacking edge we hadn’t had in years so yeah Pogba has always been a very important player for us even if he is a bit of an arse sometimes.

It really doesn’t VVD is a very important player for Liverpool this season in terms of goals conceded slight above 1 per game last season slightly below 1 (this seasons figure is hugely distorted by 1 game where they let in 7 goals). So I would argue defensively this season they are performing as well as they did last season.

Last season Liverpool won a lot of very close games this season that isn’t happening not because the defending is miles worse it’s because the attack has lost its mojo.

They are still very close to the top if their front 3 start clicking again they’ll close that gap quickly as they’re still a brilliant side.

The goals conceded stat definitely needs clarifying. They also conceded 3 against Leeds.

In the 5 games VVD played Liverpool conceded 13.

So if you remove those games and look at the goals conceded you'll see they're actually at way less than a goal a game. It's 9 goals conceded in 14 games.

Liverpool's chances converted rate since Christmas is 1.1% the lowest in the league. The next lowest is Newcastle at 2.9% by contrast Leicester's is 15%. (WBA, Spurs, Arsenal , City and Everton are all at over 14%). If you don't score goals you can't win games. Their front 3 is causing them massive problems and Jota is arguably a bigger miss than VVD.

Teams have also changed their style of play against Liverpool and no longer leave the space in behind for them to run in to.

Conversion stats from below:

Yep Jota gave them a new spark up top they now had 4 players for 3 spots everyone kept on their toes.

Liverpool have 5 key attacking players the front 3 plus the full backs basically scored and created all the goals in the last 3 years. The midfield do a lot of good work getting the ball to them and allowing them to play and not worry about defending. This season both full backs standards have slipped the quality of their delivery isn’t there and the front 3s finishing is dreadful but they are still creating chances just not taking them.

They do miss VVD from an attacking point of view on set pieces he’s a good source of goals for them and set pieces can be vital in tight games.

If those 5 key attacking players can get their confidence back again and fire even without Van Dijk this side can still win the league or European cup this season. For the league though it feels they need to address it quickly and not fall much further behind.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back