King Ralf The Interim Manager

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So while the club haven't yet officially announced it every man and his dog is saying it's a done deal.

Utd have made a very bold choice here they've gone for a manager who isn't afraid to rattle cages and a manager who's very much got his own way of doing things and he will not only want to be looking at the way the first team is functioning he's likely to be interested in how everything works.

He's worked in a lot of German clubs and is kind of known as the man that revolutionised the way the German teams played creating a new modern identity which has produced not only a world cup winning generation of players but also some of the best man managers around. He never had a crack at it with Bayern but it seems like a lot of the coaches who are now in top positions took his ideas and ran with them.

In recent history he's been responsible for the rapid rise of RB Leipzig from essentially formation of a new club to a club that can now compete at a CL standard and are known for developing some of the best talent in the game. RB Salzburg have also become the dominant force in Austria. They've been massively backed by the owners but they are also incredibly well run clubs at the same time with a converor belt of young talent coming through both on the playing side and coaching side of the game.

He's got a big job on his hand trying to not only get his message across to the players quickly but also rebuilding confidence after a horrible run of results there's a lot of players in this squad who individually have dropped well below their usual standards.

I think this is a fantastic move for United. This is the kind of move that in a couple of years they really could reap the benefits of. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ronaldo now though... I mean we know he can't press.

I think he can press the system just needs to be done in a way that accomodates a 37 year old Ronaldo rather than a 23 year old Rooney. Ronaldo will obviously need to buy into that and maybe do a bit more hard work defensively but if we're playing in their half he shouldn't need to save his legs for runs in beind.

The centre forward doesn't need to be the pressing king just look at Aguero for City he didn't really press much. The key to the pressing game is you do it as a team so that defence will need to squeeze high up and the wide players will likely be the ones that hunt the ball down quickly when it turns over.

If you are well drilled in it you don't need to cover huge distances.

So would people prefer this move for 6 months with the 2 year consultancy period considered and Poch / Ten Hag taking over or Conte?

I'm certainly a lot happier with this than I would have been with Conte even if it is Poch at the end of it. At least it's a true footballing brain getting in to the club heirachy with a vision on his football and the clubs direction.

I mentioned in another thread that this situation is absolutely ideal. This guy is one of the best brains in football so to get him this club is quite a coup. We are a great club with great players both past and present - so it’s only correct we get the great minds in as well.

Rangnick will lay the foundations and then someone like Poch and Ten Hag to develop at the end of the season.

After a pretty rotten few months, this is some good news for a change!

To me the move was to bring Conte in a month ago straight after that Liverpool defeat I do think he'd be able to whip these boys into shape quickly kept us top 4 this season and hopefully had us ready to compete for the title next season.

My main worry with this Rangnick plan is are we starting the rebuild clock again? Rangnick's methods will take time to bed in so as long as the players adapt quickly and the next guy is prepared to follow on from what he lays down then it should work but what if the players don't adapt are we then into buy another squad territory? Utd for me have to have a side ready to win the title next season we have to avoid a never ending rebuilding cycle the expectation bar has to be raised higher. Recover top 4 this season to keep the CL money coming in but next season the ambition has to be to finish first because if we don't that's a decade without a league title.

I'm really interested to see what his role will be next season and beyond is he just going to be overseeing things pointing out where little improvements can be made or is he going to try and be really hands on.

Whatever happens whoever takes it over in the summer really needs to hit the ground running lets just hope that this guy can lay the foundations that gives the new guy a head start.

With Fletcher and Murtugh being relatively new in their posts, to have someone as knowledgeable as Ralph come in to advise should be invaluable.

Like JSP intimated, Conte would bring immediate improvement, given the quality of our squad. However, that may be worth sacrificing for longer term vision.

typical united though, still can't get the deal done with his club

Deal with the club is done. Skysports announced it agreed 20 minutes ago.

Rangnick left Red Bull in August 2020 you wonder why given that Utd at this point where apparently searching for a director of football was he not appointed to come in to build that structure we needed around Ole to help him?

Anyway he's here now he's got a chance to work with probably the most talented group of players he's ever worked with lets see if he can get his message through to them.

This is something totally new to pretty much all of these players and certainly to Utd really you'd say most of our post Fergie managers have been defensive minded counter attack managers with the exception of LVG who was ultimate possession football with no end product football.

How many days do we think it'll be before we get the story that he's banned ketchup from the canteen?

Think he still needs to sort out his work visa so that might delay his arrival by a few days knowing our luck they'll ban travel shortly because of this new variant and he'll be stuck in a hotel quarantining for 2 weeks.

yeah, the link works IDFD posted, but if you go direct to Sky sports its still saying set to appoint

PS, think he's already in the UK

Good news and could be good for the future if he has a say in a lot of the day to day workings
Will take a while to get everyone upto speed but i think we will start to see improvements pretty quickly
As for people saying Ronaldo wont get a look in as he cant press,its not fecking rocket science its running in channels
Ronnie is smart,fit and above all a proffesionalhe will see the team progressing and will want a piece of the action

Wonder if he’ll bring in any of his own people for this stint in charge, or whether he’ll just work with what we’ve got. Obviously could be difficult to bring in people he’s worked with in the past because they will probably already be in jobs.

United need to recognise where they are at. They are currently a long way behind the top 3 (I don't mean in terms of points) and they need to build something so when those at the top falter they can pounce. I don't think Pep will be at City more than another 2-3 years. I don't think Klopp will either and we know Chelsea change their manager every couple of years.

De Gea on form is still the best keeper in the world. What's been lost recently because of our form is just how well he is playing.

AWB is serviceable and I think with another manager could kick on.

Maguire on form is in the top 5 CB's in the world. Varane alongside him is a title winning combination.

I think you need a DM who can free up Pogba/Donny

Pogba will be odd man out. Interesting to see how he will line us up. I think we are two CMs, a CB, and a couple fullbacks away from a title-winning side.

Really, I'd say RB, CB, CMx2 and probably a GK
I think you can win a league with De Gea as he is this season. CB I think you can make a case either way. They definitely need a DM, they need a RB and they probably need a CM too.

I dont think Pogba will get a look in with this manager way too lazy
I can see Donny getting a lot more time playing
RR says he can train players his way within 3 weeks if thats true could be an exciting new year

Strange when you think how successful West Germany and the unified German have been that Rangnick will be only the fourth German to be on the payroll at Old Trafford, I know they bombed the place but that was 76 years ago.

I dont think Pogba will get a look in with this manager way too lazy
I can see Donny getting a lot more time playing
RR says he can train players his way within 3 weeks if thats true could be an exciting new year
I don't think Pogba will play because he's leaving. But I don't have Pogba down as lazy. Sloppy in possession is a trait he's guilty of.

23 year old Mali international midfielder Amadou Haidara (RB Leipzig)to be Ralf's first signing?

Your probably right that he will leave on a free but we will
I don't think Pogba will play because he's leaving. But I don't have Pogba down as lazy. Sloppy in possession is a trait he's guilty of.

just have to agree to disagree on Pobga being lazy

Wonder if Ralf will be storming on the pitch with his phone to show the Referee a VAR decision is wrong any time soon, he did it when he was the Sporting Director at RB Leipzig, it's scary to think what he might do as Manager if he's already on the touchline. I'm all for pashun, but ....

They won't announce it until he gets his visa sorted.

Have to assume there's a chance Carrick might still be in charge for the Arsenal game.

Not exactly been a well guarded secret still not confirmed that he'll take charge of the Arsenal game though as Visa is being sorted.

Carrick has given him a platform to build from hopefully two good results will have boosted confidence a little bit.

I'm really interested to see just how much he tries to change and how quickly he does it as teaching a team a pressing style when you play every 3-4 days wont be easy.

Confirmed that the existing coaching staff will remain with Rangnick bring in some of his own to supplement.

I do wonder what this means for Mick Phelan if anyone is to go I imagine it will be him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back