How long do we give Solskjaer?

My stance on OGS has never changed...
My opinion of Utd as not one of the two best teams in England has not changed.
Don’t confuse my rallying cry to all you faint hearts with the idea that l am now a believer...
...flip-flopping by all of you might be because you are starting to wake up.

My stance has never changed either. I've always said he's the man for the job. Since 2013. (Which is maybe why I cut him a lot more slack than others). I've just said that this year may be a year too early for this side and we are a CF and RW short until Greenwood develops a bit and we bring someone in. Most would tell you we have the third best squad in the league (maybe 4th) and others would tell you we've got a manager that isn't in the top 10. So caution towards a title race would be advised. Though if we win on Sunday all caution will be thrown out of the window.

I think we've already been in agreement that you change your mind quite regularly.

IDFD...
...”l’ve always said he’s the man for the job. Since 2013”.
Nostradamus. I’m impressed.
Not a particularly good post. You must be tired.
You advise “caution” but if you win Sunday, you open the nearest window. Gotcha!!!
And...
...”l think we’ve already been in agreement that you change your mind.........”
Sleep on it, wake refreshed, think some more...
...then provide the evidence.

I'm sure you can tell that Sunday is a massive game and United fans will get foolishly excited with a win when caution would be better advised.

The team everyone is ignoring and the team I've said will win the title are City. Who are a point behind should they win their game in hand. A team you already ruled out of it once this season.

You seem to conveniently forget that you've already written off not only this season as Liverpool's but next season too.

Over the last year Ole has got the most points than any manager in the league.

We should stop all this not a top 10 manager etc. He's proving to be a very good manager. That squad looks happy too

Thread has to stay open Poch has just won a trophy in France so it's time to have that debate again lads!

There's a lot of things coming together at the club now all positive and our players after a shaky start have found form and maybe in this crazy season we can pull off a major surprise and take a title but it's still very early days.

I'm not letting that one stand for Poch. It's the French equivalent of the charity shield. Strike it off the list.

yeah, I'm not super confident about how far we have progressed, still a lot of work needed, they had the points table after 17 games back to when we last won the league. We have the lowest points. Second lowest was our last win.

However, on a plus side, only twice has the team top of the table after 17 games not won the league, Liverpool both times.

Even if Poch wins the league this season it isn't impressive though. Be nice for him to put some medals on display but anything other than champions League success is a failure. Hes taken over the team that won last season's title by 12 points, had a game in hand and 10 games to go. Runners up in the champions league.

I agree on Poch, winning the league is nothing here for them. Likewise I'd be amazed if Pogba wants to join PSG. The only reason is money, its not to challenge yourself week in week out

Was joking about Poch.

Last season we were a 65-70 point team this season we look like a 75-80 point team which is progress so it's progress but this season 80 points will get you close to teh title when in the last 3 seasons you've needed nearly 100.

IDFD...
...l stand by Liverpool to win the league. This season and next.
If they sign Mbappe (probably lose Salah to make it happen), then next season is assured.
This season??? My prediction is looking shaky, but l’ll stick with them.
They need a central defender in this window.
When I said ”forget City” l didn’t mean to be so dismissive. I was just so sure about Liverpool.
Sunday is going to be some game.
I suppose if Utd wins, it will be a heavy dose of delirium all round.
That would make you favourites, and turn up the pressure. The dynamic would then shift.
Long way to go. The champions can only be one of three teams.
The three best teams in the country...

The Liverpool and Mbappe rumours have been swirling around a while. I just don't see where they've got the money to do it. They needed to Furlough staff not that long ago.

If he leaves I think he ends up at Madrid.

This summer he's got 12 months left on his deal. What do we think still £80m and a £400k a week contract?

PSG will demand nothing less than 150m...
...galling considering they broke ffp to sign him.
Don’t think Liverpool needed to furlough staff. They just thought they could get away with it.
Credit to Utd for not trying it on.

I think they really want to sign him, and would have to let someone go to offset the cost.
You’re right though...
...huge financial cost. Liverpool not noted for that.

Mbappe I think will stay at PSG if Neymar decides to stay but he'll have a release clause put in his contract so he can go for a fixed fee in the future. Covid has kicked the backside of nearly every club so the transfer markets will be a mess for a few years as everyone has to adjust expectations over fees and players probably need to be realistic on wages. The decision for him to stay or go doesn't really belong to PSG anymore with only 12 months left on his contract at the end of the season they are almost in a position where they are forced to sell which gives Liverpool a shot.

If he decides to go then I'm sure Liverpool would be a club he'd be interested in joining if they could raise the cash to do it they didn't blink over spending big on Allison and Van Dijk breaking transfer records at the time to do it. For Mbappe he's going to be a rich man whatever he decides to do so his motivation will be to join the best team and work with the best players possible to win european cups and league titles.

That said if Utd pull off something special this season they might be able to throw their hat in the ring with him.

Liverpool would never sign him, they pay him 400 grand a week they'll have about 6 players knocking on the door after a pay rise, they can't afford it.

Neymar is close to signing a new PSG deal. Mbappe will go to Madrid.

I think it's unlikely for that very reason but any club that Mbappe goes to his wages will create problems unless he delivers crazy results. At that sort of salary you are talking an expectation of 40+ goals a season in all comps every as almost a minimum. I think it's very hard now for clubs to bring in a new signing as the instant top earner especially when you're an already succesful team as it unsettles existing players. Mbappe could and probably would live up to expectations as he is that good but it's a worry a manager would have to weigh up.

That salary is one of the reasons I think Mbappe might stay at PSG, Madrid are a mess right now so I think he might stick at PSG for another year or two then make his move.

If he wants to join a ready made competitive team he'll have to lower his wage demands to fit into that clubs pay scale.

IDFD...
...l stand by Liverpool to win the league. This season and next.

6 weeks ago. I assumed we let this thread die to save Losblancos embarrassment. Ruled City out and proclaimed Liverpool champions.

Really should give it a break sometimes you don't always need to be on the wind up. Sometimes it makes you make stupid statements like the above.

May as well delete this thread. Ole will be around for a long time

Only got 1 year left on his contract mate.

One thing I like about Ole is unlike the man before him he's not thrown his weight around demanding a new deal because he won a few games before Xmas he's just getting on with his job.

Genuinely has the best interests of the club at heart but does he have the ability to put us back on top? That second bit for me is still up for debate but unless Utd finished outside top 4 this season he shouldn't be sacked.

IDFD...
...It wasn’t stupid when l made it.
I did rule City out. I also ruled United out. So, one out of two.
“Embarrassment”...
...thank you for being thoughtful.
Did that post appear earlier on this thread?

Only got 1 year left on his contract mate.

One thing I like about Ole is unlike the man before him he's not thrown his weight around demanding a new deal because he won a few games before Xmas he's just getting on with his job.

Genuinely has the best interests of the club at heart but does he have the ability to put us back on top? That second bit for me is still up for debate but unless Utd finished outside top 4 this season he shouldn't be sacked.
And of course it will remain up for debate but SuperRash has started a different thread for that.
He has stabilised the club which was a mammoth task on its own. We are entitled to see on field improvement again next season.
Personally I think he has some ruthless decisions to make and I dont expect he will shirk them.

IDFD...
...It wasn’t stupid when l made it.
I did rule City out. I also ruled United out. So, one out of two.
“Embarrassment”...
...thank you for being thoughtful.
Did that post appear earlier on this thread?

It's on this page of this thread it was one of them last post on it. As you doubled down on Liverpool in their downwards turn.

I never claimed to be infallible. I do, sometimes, get things wrong.
Something you too will have to accept sooner or later.

And of course it will remain up for debate but SuperRash has started a different thread for that.
He has stabilised the club which was a mammoth task on its own. We are entitled to see on field improvement again next season.
Personally I think he has some ruthless decisions to make and I dont expect he will shirk them.

Yeah I don't think Ole will hold back but the big decisions he needs to make probably involve some big money investments heading out the door. The obvious ones being players like De Gea and Martial wanting them out is one thing but getting them out is another.

That is the challenge for him budgets were obviously tight last summer and this summer will be the same but unless we really nail 2 or 3 key signings this summer it's hard to see him pushing us much further. For me he needs to stengthen that side in every position up the middle GK, CB, CM & CF all need upgrading. Henderson might save him some cash and solve the keeper but the 3 outfield positions need sorting for us to really push on I think.

Yeah I don't think Ole will hold back but the big decisions he needs to make probably involve some big money investments heading out the door. The obvious ones being players like De Gea and Martial wanting them out is one thing but getting them out is another.

That is the challenge for him budgets were obviously tight last summer and this summer will be the same but unless we really nail 2 or 3 key signings this summer it's hard to see him pushing us much further. For me he needs to stengthen that side in every position up the middle GK, CB, CM & CF all need upgrading. Henderson might save him some cash and solve the keeper but the 3 outfield positions need sorting for us to really push on I think.
Agree with every bit of that. But it doesn't matter who the manager is that challenge will be there and i think Ole will deal with it as well as any other candidate and his emotional attachment with the club, in my opinion is a positive with no negative.

Are you finally agreeing he was let down last summer so has therefore done well this season with the squad he has. Probably there isn't a manager who could have done better

Mediocre squad gets mediocre results. Ole is no tactical genius. He might also not be a motivator on the level of what Tuchel has done to what was a flailing Chelsea. I don't know if it is the backroom staff, the skills trainers, what, but we have a bunch of mediocrity everywhere. I like Ole. I want him to succeed because it means we get our soul back. That means buying the best available players who are moving to the Premier league and doing that every window to at least keep them from going to our direct rivals. Our owners do not have the stomach for that spending spree, therefore the only chance to win things with this squad is bringing in a genius manager. It is not looking good for Ole, though. I would think they won't renew his contract but I have no idea who should replace him.

It's been a tough run, defence has made basic errors, we don't have a goal scorer and there is no creativity

I don't think you can blame ole. I think his management of players and media is pretty good

I'd like to see him supported in the market, then we can judge.

Certainly we miss Pogba

It's been a tough run, defence has made basic errors, we don't have a goal scorer and there is no creativity

I don't think you can blame ole. I think his management if players and media is pretty good

I'd like to see him supported in the market, then we can judge.

Certainly we miss Pogba
Ole needs new players to succeed. He won't get them.

Its the fickleness of the fans thats the problem here, they get caught up and swept away, depending on what is going on at the time. They lose all sense and sensibility.
We go on a good run and they get carried away talking about challenging for the title and praising the manager for turning it all round, we go on a bad run and they start cracking on about not getting a European place and sacking the manager.
Can they not see that what we have is a squad a bit better than average, with a few outstanding players and some very promising youngsters, so we will have ups and downs as we hit form and dip out of it in the course of a season. A squad that still needs further development and some upgrades before we can make a serious title challenge. Not to mention some ruthless decision making, which as jsp pointed out can only be made if funds are made available or some of the youngsters make rapid progression.
There are positives to build upon, the resurgence of Shaw who has made me eat my words, I really couldn't see him getting close to what was needed from him, its a remarkable turnaround. Then there is McT, I am very impressed with his progression, his passing has improved immensely, he has developed a cutting edge and is adding goals to his game, he will likely get better and be a good physical force for us for years to come. We have Bruno who has started talking about wanting to spent his career with us. Greenwood still has much progression in him and Rashford will find consistency in his game. Some have doubts but if I had my way Henderson would replace De Gea for the start of next season, he has better presence in the box and if he grows in confidence he will likely marshall that defence better.
I think we are about 3 quality signings away from a title challenge and I expect further progression next season. I dont think we have any entitlement to expect any more than that from Ole to be honest.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back