Frenkie de Jong

99% sure that is BS why would any club want to put themselves into this deal when you can see how much of a mess it is. Matching our offer doesn't solve the problem between Barca/Player and Utd should not go back to Barca and offer any more money.

There's really nothing more for Utd to do here other than wait if things aren't resolved before the end of July between Barca/FDJ then it's important that Utd are the ones who publicly pull the pin on the deal and move for alternatives.

Barca seem to have concluded their incoming deals so surely now they will turn their attention to the departures so that they can actually register these players for La Liga matches next season.

Only way he goes to Chelsea over United is if they offer to pay him what Barca owe him.

Problem is they are a law unto themselves and probably will.

Don't Barca still want Silva?

Barca want Silva, Kounde, Azpilecueta and Marcos Alonso according to the rumour mill and all these players want to go there but they are broke.

Sounds to me like there's a lot of "everything is fine" talk going on at Barca right now when truth is everything isn't fine.

They might find the money to get Azpilecueta and maybe Kounde (loan to buy deal) but can't see them finding the money for Silva. Man City have said he can go if his price is met they'll want £70-80m for him which Barca can't afford.

You can only spend the De Jong money once and most people are saying they've already spent it on the deals they've done. They hope to raise a bit more by selling Memphis but that would be £15-20m.

Only way he goes to Chelsea over United is if they offer to pay him what Barca owe him.

Problem is they are a law unto themselves and probably will.

Not sure under the new regime they'll be doing those sort of crazy deals they now belong to investors not an oligarch the bottom line matters to people at Chelsea now.

99% sure that is BS why would any club want to put themselves into this deal when you can see how much of a mess it is. Matching our offer doesn't solve the problem between Barca/Player and Utd should not go back to Barca and offer any more money.

There's really nothing more for Utd to do here other than wait if things aren't resolved before the end of July between Barca/FDJ then it's important that Utd are the ones who publicly pull the pin on the deal and move for alternatives.

Barca seem to have concluded their incoming deals so surely now they will turn their attention to the departures so that they can actually register these players for La Liga matches next season.
If Chelsea match your offer, i'm sure he will go there. I keep saying the same thing. FDJ dont want to come and will come only if he have no better option. He rather stay at Barca or go to a CL club. We are wasting Time. Move on.

You have to laugh at the bare faced cheek of Barca, throwing around all 'their' money to conclude the transfers of Raphinha and Lewandowski and then telling FDJ to forget his £17m. That club is rancid.

If Chelsea match your offer, i'm sure he will go there. I keep saying the same thing. FDJ dont want to come and will come only if he have no better option. He rather stay at Barca or go to a CL club. We are wasting Time. Move on.

If we assume everything is the same and Chelsea match our offer to Barca and to the player I don't think he'd make his decision based 100% on which team is in the CL next season, I think that is nonsense. It seems pretty clear his preference is to stay at Barca but if they're telling him you have to go then all he wants is his money and he will go players rarely stay at clubs where they know they aren't wanted.

He would have a tough decision to make does he try a new experience and work under Tuchel and join a club where his spot in the team isn't assured as there's big competition and also it isn't nailed on to win trophies. Or do you stick with who you know and really try to establish your name at a much bigger club who's going through a bit of a rebuild.

I don't think it's realistic to expect Utd or Chelsea to win anything next season and if you asked me now who will win more over the next 5 years I'd say it's a pretty even call.

In all of this though I think Chelsea would be mental to try and bring De Jong in when there midfield is already stacked full of quality players.

Just read an article, that he doesn't like Manchester, prefers Chelsea to live in London and doesn't like Man Utd's erratic management.

Just to break that down, how does he know what living in Manchester is like, Chelsea players don't live in London, their training ground is in Surrey, and Chelsea have to be one of the most erratic clubs there is. Sounds like BS

Think some of the players do live in London especially the younger foreign players they don't want big mansions out in the sticks it's only if they stay and settle that they move out of London to be closer to the training ground. Most of them rent houses/flats rather than buy as it's just easier for them.

That is apparently something the Manchester clubs do struggle with the lack of high end city centre living opportunities in Manchester. There's certainly more of these sort of spaces being built high end high rise flats are shooting up all over the place at the moment but quite often players moving to new cities want to live pretty central.

Anyway the story sounds pretty dodgy and doesn't stand up to much scrutiny given Barca, Utd and Chelsea are going through major changes at the moment.

I would say pretty much all the Chelsea squad live in Esher/Cobham.

You are not going to want to do that A3 journey every day, twice

I always thought that but got a mate who works in property in London and he's dealt with a few of them (well their agents) and quite a few decided to live in London and commute to the training ground. They're going against the traffic and by the time training is over and they're heading home it'll be quieter.

He said most new signings especially the younger lads tend to go into the city for the first few years then if they stick around they move out into the suburbs probably because they get sick of the commute.

The ones who come with families tend to go straight to the suburbs the young single lads tend to want to live more central for the lifestyle.

fair enough, but both directions are a nightmare, there is no against the traffic

Guess there's a number of ways you can make it work some of these lads might rent two properties one in town and one near the training ground or might be able to crash at a team mates house a few nights a week.

When the season is in full swing they're probably only at the training ground 3-4 days a week anyway depending on if the games are home or away. 1 day off and 2 match days.

Quite a lot of clubs now have clauses in contracts that state players must live within a 30 minute drive of the training ground.

Is it not normal that most players live in rich suburb of the City they play for ? Mostly to avoid the fans and media.

Chelsea's ground, and their training pitch are an absolute age away from each other. A good 25m, so it's a bit different.

Just read an article, that he doesn't like Manchester, prefers Chelsea to live in London and doesn't like Man Utd's erratic management.

Just to break that down, how does he know what living in Manchester is like, Chelsea players don't live in London, their training ground is in Surrey, and Chelsea have to be one of the most erratic clubs there is. Sounds like BS

Think some of the players do live in London especially the younger foreign players they don't want big mansions out in the sticks it's only if they stay and settle that they move out of London to be closer to the training ground. Most of them rent houses/flats rather than buy as it's just easier for them.

That is apparently something the Manchester clubs do struggle with the lack of high end city centre living opportunities in Manchester. There's certainly more of these sort of spaces being built high end high rise flats are shooting up all over the place at the moment but quite often players moving to new cities want to live pretty central.

Anyway the story sounds pretty dodgy and doesn't stand up to much scrutiny given Barca, Utd and Chelsea are going through major changes at the moment.

I always thought that but got a mate who works in property in London and he's dealt with a few of them (well their agents) and quite a few decided to live in London and commute to the training ground. They're going against the traffic and by the time training is over and they're heading home it'll be quieter.

He said most new signings especially the younger lads tend to go into the city for the first few years then if they stick around they move out into the suburbs probably because they get sick of the commute.

The ones who come with families tend to go straight to the suburbs the young single lads tend to want to live more central for the lifestyle.

fair enough, but both directions are a nightmare, there is no against the traffic

Guess there's a number of ways you can make it work some of these lads might rent two properties one in town and one near the training ground or might be able to crash at a team mates house a few nights a week.

When the season is in full swing they're probably only at the training ground 3-4 days a week anyway depending on if the games are home or away. 1 day off and 2 match days.

Quite a lot of clubs now have clauses in contracts that state players must live within a 30 minute drive of the training ground.

Is it not normal that most players live in rich suburb of the City they play for ? Mostly to avoid the fans and media.

Chelsea's ground, and their training pitch are an absolute age away from each other. A good 25m, so it's a bit different.

:rolleyes:

Apparently playing FDJ as centre back in their pre-season games. Are they just trolling him at this point? Trying to make things as uncomfortable for him as possible so he will leave?

Don't think it will bother him, he started off at Willem Twee as a CB, and played there initially at Jong Ajax, now if they played him as a lone no.9 and started pumping long-balls up to him ....

Don't think it will bother him, he started off at Willem Twee as a CB, and played there initially at Jong Ajax, now if they played him as a lone no.9 and started pumping long-balls up to him ....
There is a difference between starting out there as a youngster and being shunted back there, especially when you have been at the top of your game in CM for a few years.

Just smells of another disgraceful tactic by Barca to force him out.

There is a difference between starting out there as a youngster and being shunted back there, especially when you have been at the top of your game in CM for a few years.

Just smells of another disgraceful tactic by Barca to force him out.

I know, It's disgusting how they are treating him, and the worst part of it is that Barca don't seem to care that everybody in football knows how they are treating him, and yet players are still queuing up to join them. Baffling.

I know, It's disgusting how they are treating him, and the worst part of it is that Barca don't seem to care that everybody in football knows how they are treating him, and yet players are still queuing up to join them. Baffling.
That is the power of sunny beach and CL football every year. It's too good to say no.

That is the power of sunny beach and CL football every year. It's too good to say no.

For most players that's just a bonus, but not that important, most prefer going to a club that will look after them financially whilst they are at the club, and treat their family like Royalty.

Plus he's a Northern European who will prefer playing in the wet and cold.

Well said Gary.

By all accounts though, FDJ looks like he may have bought into staying at Barca and accepting a pay cut - which essentially means he’s forfeited his deferred wages. Surely someone doesn’t love a club enough to be railroaded like this?

A joke of a club and I’m surprised anyone is even contemplating signing with them. Massive club with brilliant history yes but absolutely toxic.

That's not true though, gnev, his agent made him sign the revised contract, they don't owe him anything. The wages he missed out are not owed, his wages go up the longer into this new contract

It's his agents fault

They haven’t stopped paying him so there’s no real legal grounds for anything all they are trying to do is either agree to a further deferral with a new contract or agree to a pay cut. If he says no there’s nothing Barca can do about it.

They could stop playing him which means he won’t be able to gather any potential bonuses but that is kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Bit of an odd post from Neville I thought.

They haven’t stopped paying him so there’s no real legal grounds for anything all they are trying to do is either agree to a further deferral with a new contract or agree to a pay cut. If he says no there’s nothing Barca can do about it.

They could stop playing him which means he won’t be able to gather any potential bonuses but that is kind of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Bit of an odd post from Neville I thought.
To be honest, I think they are that despicable that they may take that route. It seems to be very much of the story that either he moves on to us or anyone, or take a pay cut.

If I was him I would very much say no to all their demands. But if they did start to get funny and ruin his potential WC chances then that’s not good for the player.

It’s still anyones guess how this plays out but I’m starting to think if the move was going to happen it may have done by now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's an absolute disgrace that Barca are spending the money they are yet not giving De Jong the wages he is owed. And yet he wants to stay apparently?

At this point I really think United need to just move on. This is a messy situation that's going to run and run. They need to upgrade their midfield before the first game of the season which is a couple of weeks away. They need to move on to other targets now.

He's not owed any money
Of course he is. He may have agreed to the deferral but he is still owed the money that was deferred whether that was built into the contract or not. He can’t legally take an action because it’s a contract he signed but technically he is still owed that money. Also, he is owed bonuses.

He basically has to stay to get that money but they want him out before it gets to that point. Or take a pay cut so they won’t ever have to pay it. Like has been said, he doesn’t have to accept the pay cut and he can rinse them but what would that do for his career?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back