Frenkie de Jong

MEN saying deal has collapsed. Not the best source of course
I stand by my judgment. De Jong is waiting for a CL club to hijack the deal with us. If he come, it will be because he has no option, not because he want us.
We should move on.

I stand by my judgment. De Jong is waiting for a CL club to hijack the deal with us. If he come, it will be because he has no option, not because he want us.
We should move on.

Poor kid, fancy having to go to Old Trafford, must have been a right bastard in a former life :rolleyes:

We should move on.

He's trying to make sure that Barca pay him what he's owed before leaving, that is how I read the situation.

He isn't going to take a pay cut just so they can use his money to buy new players I just think he wants what is owed then things will move.

Reports in Spain suggest De Jong's agent is due to sit down with the Barca board this week to try and iron things out so I guess this week is make or break.

Does seem pretty clear that if possible De Jong wants to stay at Barca but it would appear that Barca don't see that as being possible as they need his sale to allow them to register new signings.

I'm not sure it's a pay cut, I suppose it is...difficult to say.

From what I read he's on about 200 grand a week, plus bonuses (he's owed about 5m in Bonuses) The problem is his contract says that next season his wage should go up to 400 grand a week! and they want him to stay on 200.

I did take this with a pinch of salt, would anyone pay FDJ 400 grand a week!

Not sure how true this is but I’ve read that Barca are trying to pay the deferred wages through increasing his currently weekly salary over a period of time. And he will have to take a pay cut because of this.

So if I have interpreted it correctly he will he will have to take a pay cut to get the money he is owed.

Obviously there are many different stories doing the rounds and no-one knows exactly what the truth. The situation sounds dodgy af!

They can't even register their new players until they reduce the wage bill.

Barca have to get their wage budget down for this season so they could ask him to take a cut for next season and then bump it back up the following season but the suggestion is he's still not been paid what he's already owed.

La Liga's financial controls are applied before the season starts not after essentially you can't just break the rules then take the punishment the next year. La Liga's rules pretty much stop you from breaking the rules before you even break them so to register any new player in their La Liga squad they have to demonstrate to La Liga that their accounts are in order if they aren't La Liga just says no and the player trains with Barca being paid his contract but they can't play him in La Liga matches.

Barca have to get their wage budget down for this season so they could ask him to take a cut for next season and then bump it back up the following season but the suggestion is he's still not been paid what he's already owed.

La Liga's financial controls are applied before the season starts not after essentially you can't just break the rules then take the punishment the next year. La Liga's rules pretty much stop you from breaking the rules before you even break them so to register any new player in their La Liga squad they have to demonstrate to La Liga that their accounts are in order if they aren't La Liga just says no and the player trains with Barca being paid his contract but they can't play him in La Liga matches.
Would be great if PL and Ligue 1 had the same rules.

Would be great if PL and Ligue 1 had the same rules.

Not sure the PL needs rules that are this strict because our money is distributed evenly it's very rare that clubs in the PL get themselves into financial trouble. In England where it's really important is in the football league where so many clubs are getting themselves into trouble by gambling on promotion. The EFL have quite strict rules which have seen a number of clubs face transfer bans but the flaw is they provide bans after the event and if you basically cheat the rules and get promoted to the prem they can't punish you.

Think the rules in Ligue 1 are pretty tough but PSG are just able to fudge their incomes with inflated sponsorship deals to get around them and since the guy running PSG is also the guy who runs the TV Company that is their main rights holder you can probably guess how much interrogation of those numbers happens.

I think at this point we need to set a deadline to get this over the line. We cannot just let this one drag on and come August it’s a dead deal.

I know this probably one of the most difficult deals to get over the line because of the other factors involved but there has to come a point when we say we’ve got to move on.

I think at this point we need to set a deadline to get this over the line. We cannot just let this one drag on and come August it’s a dead deal.

I know this probably one of the most difficult deals to get over the line because of the other factors involved but there has to come a point when we say we’ve got to move on.
Exactly,
Let say this week, and if he doesn't come, we move on.

Barca apparently wanted it sorted either way by the weekend as they fly off for their pre season tour in America on Saturday and they don't want this hanging over them.

They've scheduled talks with him and his team this week to discuss the options on the table if he accepts he has to leave Barca I'm guessing things will move pretty quickly with Utd. If he decides to stay then I guess we move on to other targets.

Patience, my friend.

Bad weekend SR?

Barca apparently wanted it sorted either way by the weekend as they fly off for their pre season tour in America on Saturday and they don't want this hanging over them.

They've scheduled talks with him and his team this week to discuss the options on the table if he accepts he has to leave Barca I'm guessing things will move pretty quickly with Utd. If he decides to stay then I guess we move on to other targets.

You can only love a club so much. He ain't gonna take a pay cut, and put the deferred wages on the backburner knowing probable incomings(Lewandowski especially)will blow his revised wages out of the water.

You can only love a club so much. He ain't gonna take a pay cut, and put the deferred wages on the backburner knowing probable incomings(Lewandowski especially)will blow his revised wages out of the water.

Yeah 100% imagine being asked by your boss to take a pay cut so he can employ someone else on more money than you.

I think he's just making it tough for Barca wants his money settled before he leaves as he knows they can't crack on with signing anyone until he's out the door.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was close to being out but Richard and John have pulled me back in!

Done dealio!

Ah the up close and personal "please take Ronaldo off our hands Senors, you're our last hope"

Other players do get discussed you know, if Howard Wilkinson hadn't rang to inquire about Denis Irwin we may not have got Eric Cantona.
Of course, but it's FDJ thread. When i read your post, i was thinking i missed some developpement to involve Ronaldo in this thread.

I think seeing Arnold and Murtough in Barca suggests either this one is pretty much done or has entered a crisis stage. Either way I think there will be clarity in the coming days.

You'd expect they'd only travel over to close a deal possibly a chance for Arnold/Murtough to meet face to face the high ups at Barca.

Laporta has only just taken over back at Barca and Jordi Cruyff is their director of football so a bit of face to face meeting could be a good thing.

We all know Arnold doesn't mind getting the round in.

That Fabrizio Romano guy on twitter is reporting his agents have told Barca that De Jong wishes to stay at Barcelona and will honour his current contract he will not be accepting a pay cut. They've also told this to Utd.

Who knows what all this means but if true Utd need to seriously consider pulling the pin on this one and looking to other options as this is a right mess of a situation.

That said it's transfer gossip so who knows what to believe.

Could just be the last ditch attempt to get them to pay up what he's owed before he leaves.

That Fabrizio Romano guy on twitter is reporting his agents have told Barca that De Jong wishes to stay at Barcelona and will honour his current contract he will not be accepting a pay cut. They've also told this to Utd.

Who knows what all this means but if true Utd need to seriously consider pulling the pin on this one and looking to other options as this is a right mess of a situation.

Could just be the last ditch attempt to get them to pay up what he's owed before he leaves.
Told you, he doesn't want to come.
Move on.

Romano has become less reliable over the years but still a decent source to be fair.

If he has decided to stay, then hope we just move onto other options and not try and peddle this right up until the end of the window.

Don’t think anyone apart from the clubs know what’s going on, as it is a very complicated situation.

I think it's just games to be honest the payment deferral apparently isn't that black and white according to one guy who reported on it.

The way they did it was the players agreed to take a reduced salary over two seasons with a higher salary in later years so De Jong's contract is due to jump up massively over the next two years. An example say you sign an £80m four year deal normally that is paid £20m per year over 4 years. The way Barca did it to help them with their books was they only pay say £10m per year for the first 2 years then they pay in year 3 £25m then £35m in year 4. Over the 4 years you still get £80m but the money isn't split evenly. I don't think the jumps are this extreme but that is basically what has happened.

De Jong's argument is you are trying to force me to leave now so that you never have to pay me the more lucrative years of the contract that I agreed to amend to help you. Barca are saying well if you leave we don't actually owe you any money because the final years of that contract become void.

Sounds to me like De Jong is digging his heels in to get a pay off.

I suspect Arnold and Murtough are in Barcelona to get this one done one way or another. I think it has entered crisis stage where United want a resolution one way or another. My gut tells me this one isn't going to happen but Arnold and Murtough are in Barcelona to try and get it done.

I think it's just games to be honest the payment deferral apparently isn't that black and white according to one guy who reported on it.

The way they did it was the players agreed to take a reduced salary over two seasons with a higher salary in later years so De Jong's contract is due to jump up massively over the next two years. An example say you sign an £80m four year deal normally that is paid £20m per year over 4 years. The way Barca did it to help them with their books was they only pay say £10m per year for the first 2 years then they pay in year 3 £25m then £35m in year 4. Over the 4 years you still get £80m but the money isn't split evenly. I don't think the jumps are this extreme but that is basically what has happened.

De Jong's argument is you are trying to force me to leave now so that you never have to pay me the more lucrative years of the contract that I agreed to amend to help you. Barca are saying well if you leave we don't actually owe you any money because the final years of that contract become void.

Sounds to me like De Jong is digging his heels in to get a pay off.
Depends how iron clad this agreement between player and club is re the deferred wages, but its not going to be a quick fix, sounds like it is going to get v complicated.

Lease we have the A-Team over in Barca to iron out the creases, and amazingly I still think this deal gets over the line, at the 11th hour.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back