Frenkie de Jong

I think it happens still. They'll tell him they won't register him and he won't be playing.

But the more this drags on the more the transfer fee comes down. We know they can't register him or that they can't register other signings.

Remember last season they were never going to lose Messi. Until they had to because they couldn't register him.

I don't think he's that good that it warrants the risk of getting nobody myself.
We need to boss the situation. Sign by X date or we move on

I just don't see this one I really don't. This has dragged on so long. United need to either get it done or move on. They need midfielders in the worst way and right now they've added none.

Depends how iron clad this agreement between player and club is re the deferred wages, but its not going to be a quick fix, sounds like it is going to get v complicated.

Lease we have the A-Team over in Barca to iron out the creases, and amazingly I still think this deal gets over the line, at the 11th hour.

I think this is the issue because of the way it's written Barca don't technically owe him the money if he leaves because his contract contains a clear payment structure which changes year to year. His argument is he changed the terms of the deal to get them out of a hole and now they want to screw him over which is why he wants them to cough up the cash. However, if he's signed a new contract what came before doesn't really matter and if Barca want to risk their reputation by screwing him over then that is up to them.

They did a similar thing to Dani Alves last season he agreed a 6 month deal with a 1 year option. Due to the clubs finances he agreed to the La Liga minimum salary for the first 6 months which works out at around 1,000 euro per week. His contract for the option year would be a lot more lucrative but the club have now said they won't be activating the option year and he's free to go.

They're in such a mess financially that I don't think they really care who it hurts they have to make deep cuts in budgets to keep the thing afloat.

From the sound of it our deal with Barca is done it's now for Barca to sort out their issue with De Jong to get this over the line.

I don't think he's that good that it warrants the risk of getting nobody myself.
We need to boss the situation. Sign by X date or we move on

I suspect Utd have got a date on it but they aren't going to say what it is. That date could be this week it could be next month could be 7 days before the window closes.

I think the reason they are waiting is he is almost the perfect signing for what ETH wants. You should always pursue your first choice as long as possible and there's still a long of time in this window to get a deal done.

We just seem really passive in these negotiations.
We hold all the cards, if he stays they have to find a load in wages and won't be able to sign anyone .
So we should be more agressive, here's the money, this is the date it gets removed. If you don't take it you need to find his wages etc

I think it's just games to be honest the payment deferral apparently isn't that black and white according to one guy who reported on it.

The way they did it was the players agreed to take a reduced salary over two seasons with a higher salary in later years so De Jong's contract is due to jump up massively over the next two years. An example say you sign an £80m four year deal normally that is paid £20m per year over 4 years. The way Barca did it to help them with their books was they only pay say £10m per year for the first 2 years then they pay in year 3 £25m then £35m in year 4. Over the 4 years you still get £80m but the money isn't split evenly. I don't think the jumps are this extreme but that is basically what has happened.

De Jong's argument is you are trying to force me to leave now so that you never have to pay me the more lucrative years of the contract that I agreed to amend to help you. Barca are saying well if you leave we don't actually owe you any money because the final years of that contract become void.

Sounds to me like De Jong is digging his heels in to get a pay off.
Sound like De Jong got fecked over. He sould have not agree this deal. It's give to much power to barca and force him to commit 4 years.

Can see United signing him on deadline day on a two year loan deal for a £17m fee with United covering his current wages in full, with that money(the £17m) eventually finding it's way to De Jong(the money he's owed) once the dust has settled.

United and Barca will have agreed on a fee(circa £58m)which we can pay at any time during those two years, if United choose not to pay for whatever reason Barca get the player back(he'd still be in contract), having had extra time to get their affairs in order.

Everybody is a winner, well apart from de Jong's missus.

Barca have no power they can’t force him to go he can just do what Umtitti has done if he wants turn up to training, play when asked and just bank your cash.

Yeah, but he had contract, changed half way through to help them out, but his agent didn't cover his arse under the what happens if I leave before the contract ends scenario

Yeah, but he had contract, changed half way through to help them out, but his agent didn't cover his arse under the what happens if I leave before the contract ends scenario
Exactly.
A contract like that give all the power to the club. His only solution is to stay and force them to pay his salary in full.He will not come, or come for Bad reason, move on

It's like that old Monty Python sketch with them stranded on a desert island with someone asking "How many days is it now sir?"

I think part of the deal that the players agreed meant in the long run the player actually earned more money out of the contract. So essentially pay me a bit less now but pay me more later on with interest like a bank loan. So on paper it probably looked pretty appealing as you still have the security of that contract.

He maybe was a bit naïve to agree to something like this but he obviously saw himself staying at the club for a long time, it is the club of his dreams so he wanted to do the right thing to help them out. These cuts probably meant others at the club kept their jobs as Barca were and still are in a huge financial hole and I think Barca put huge pressure on the players to take these deals.

I guess the problem is they didn't see this scenario coming where the club try to force him out for non-football reasons because the manager Xavi wants him to stay, the fans want him to stay but the money men are telling him he has to leave.

What we are seeing is these people who now run Barca are ruthless they don't really care what this does to their reputation as a club as far as they are concerned these are brutal decisions that have to be made and they don't really care who gets hurt. The club is in survival mode behind the scenes whereas to the outside world they are trying to pretend like everything is ok.

That Fabrizio Romano fella is now saying Utd have agreed a fee of 75m euro plus 10m in add ons which is an increase of 10m on what was widely reported previously.

Maybe to push the deal through Utd have had to add 10m so Barca can pay up what they owe De Jong not ideal but if true would be great if we can get this one done and dusted.

Or alternatively this Romano fella is a massive blagger who just copies and pastes things other people report on the internet.

That Fabrizio Romano fella is now saying Utd have agreed a fee of 75m euro plus 10m in add ons which is an increase of 10m on what was widely reported previously.
He's suggesting personal terms are an issue which I just don't believe. The issue lies with Barca and De Jong and this owed money.

He's suggesting personal terms are an issue which I just don't believe. The issue lies with Barca and De Jong and this owed money.

I think the implication was it's Barca/De Jong rather than Utd/De Jong where the issue lies but if we've chucked another 10m into the fee you'd hope that has been done to help smooth out that situation.

David Ornstein of the Atheltic has also reported the same news fee agreed £63m plus £8m of add ons.

Utd now need to agree personal terms with the player which they report will be easy but player still has to conclude deferred wages agreement with Barca which may take a bit more time.

Anyway things seem to be moving would be great if they can get this one wrapped up quickly.

What's the next step for Barca, drug him, fly him over to Manchester, stick a United kit on him, and handcuff him to the Trinity statue with a burnt Barca flag in front of him.

I keep getting a link to The Athletic and an article by Pol Ballus which claims to tell the whole story of what's going on.
Anyone with membership?

I keep getting a link to The Athletic and an article by Pol Ballus which claims to tell the whole story of what's going on.
Anyone with membership?
Pretty much saying that Barca are telling him to leave to join Man United but the deferred wages could be what is holding it up.

Latest from the Spanish press is he doesn't want to sign for ANY English club, but he'd be happy to go to Bayern.

Sounds like Barca pressuring Utd to stump up more cash.

Given that we have VdB, Erickson and Bruno, can't we just sign Rice instead???

Bored of this now.

I guess Barca want to portray a strong hand.

It's an unusual transfer that's for sure, especially as they seem to be signing up buckets of other players. There are a few more reports today that he just doesn't want to come. Would go to Bayern.

edit: AH, just seen O-DOGS, two posts went up together, he covered it

He wants his money before he leaves it is that simple.

Utd are playing a risky game waiting but they must be confident that eventually Barca will back down as really they have no choice.

He currently holds all the power over Barca's transfer business this summer if he digs his heels in and stays it's basically impossible for them to register all of the players they've signed.

Latest from the Spanish press is he doesn't want to sign for ANY English club, but he'd be happy to go to Bayern.

Sounds like Barca pressuring Utd to stump up more cash.

Given that we have VdB, Erickson and Bruno, can't we just sign Rice instead???

Bored of this now.
Like i said, he was waiting to get a CL club to hijack the deal with us. Now Bayern can get him in front of us for a cut price. We waited too long for his decision and now if he still came to us we will know it's only for the money. Like Di Maria.

Like i said, he was waiting to get a CL club to hijack the deal with us. Now Bayern can get him in front of us for a cut price. We waited too long for his decision and now if he still came to us we will know it's only for the money. Like Di Maria.

What club that could afford to match our bid need a player like De Jong? Bayern don't need a centre mid. PSG already struggling with their wage budget. City maybe but doesn't feel like they're willing to break the bank for him. None of the clubs in Italy can afford that fee.

If all he wants is money he'll sit at Barcelona.

Why would Barca suddenly drop the price? Dropping the price doesn't help them it's why from day one they've set their price and stuck rigidly to it if they drop the price now it doesn't solve their problems.

A very poor take on the situation. He wants his money and is not willing to compromise which is absolutely fair enough. If you were owed millions in unpaid wages then you would be the same.

I don’t read anything to him going on their tour either. This move isn’t 100% going to happen so he still needs to be part of their squad and train/play as if he will be starting the season with them.

Saying all this, it would be real karma if we were just about to sign all the contracts and we just wrote LOL on the contacts and walked away.

Barca are a terribly run club.

A very poor take on the situation. He wants his money and is not willing to compromise which is absolutely fair enough. If you were owed millions in unpaid wages then you would be the same.

I don’t read anything to him going on their tour either. This move isn’t 100% going to happen so he still needs to be part of their squad and train/play as if he will be starting the season with them.

Saying all this, it would be real karma if we were just about to sign all the contracts and we just wrote LOL on the contacts and walked away.

Barca are a terribly run club.
But he is not owed any money. He agree a deal that screw him over. That is his fault. That doesn't change the fact that he do not want to come. He want to stay at Barca or play for a CL club. If he come to us, it will only be because of money. And that sound like Di Maria saga when he said he wanted to stay but was pushed out, than said he only wanted PSG but still ended up with us because of money.

But he is not owed any money. He agree a deal that screw him over. That is his fault. That doesn't change the fact that he do not want to come. He want to stay at Barca or play for a CL club. If he come to us, it will only be because of money. And that sound like Di Maria saga when he said he wanted to stay but was pushed out, than said he only wanted PSG but still ended up with us because of money.

He is owed that money this season and next season though and as things stand he's not asked to leave and told them at the end of last season he wanted to stay and the manager Xavi wants him to stay. Barca subsequently have been trying to sell him to other clubs and he's within his rights to say no. He's done Barca a huge favour and now they're trying to screw him over if I had the opportunity to screw them back I'd take it and that is what De Jong is doing.

I don't disagree he wanted to stay at Barca which is why he's being difficult but if they're going to force him to leave because they need the money then he's well within his rights to ask for the money they owe him now.

If he comes to us it will be because Barca didn't want him anymore so he had to find another club and Utd were interested you just have to hope that he acts like a pro about it most players do. We had a bad experience with Di Maria because he clashed with LVG who we know can be a tricky man to deal with the situation here is totally difference as player and manager know each other well.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back