Eric Bailly to sign new contract?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Be a good 4th choice in the squad so new deal makes sense but another CB is still required.

Well his ‘friend’ told Sky Sports he thinks this. Could be true but probably bull.

Sounds to me like a play me or lose me plea but the issue seems to be if we play him he gets injured so there's no real chance of that happening.

If we got offers I'd sell can't be relying on players who are only fit for half the games every season.

The frustration is he's clearly a very good defender.

I think Bailly can make some strange rash decisions.

For me, he's not good enough or reliable enough to be part of a main pairing. He either accepts that or moves on.

I think Bailly can make some strange rash decisions.

For me, he's not good enough or reliable enough to be part of a main pairing. He either accepts that or moves on.
You are probably right in that assessment. We do far too much "is he or isnt he" when they have been given enough opportunity to prove "they are" but haven't and therefore change is needed. Martial has been given amazing support by Ole to prove himself, given his coveted shirt number back etc and "he hasn't". And in my opinion "he isn't"
But then you think to Shaw :confused: who wasn't but now suddenly very much "is". I lie awake at night thinking about this extraordinary transformation. As much as I love the NEW Shaw, I cant help but think we were previously being cheated. Its the most remarkable turnaround I have ever known.

You are probably right in that assessment. We do far too much "is he or isnt he" when they have been given enough opportunity to prove "they are" but haven't and therefore change is needed. Martial has been given amazing support by Ole to prove himself, given his coveted shirt number back etc and "he hasn't". And in my opinion "he isn't"
But then you think to Shaw :confused: who wasn't but now suddenly very much "is". I lie awake at night thinking about this extraordinary transformation. As much as I love the NEW Shaw, I cant help but think we were previously being cheated. Its the most remarkable turnaround I have ever known.

It sounds stupid but I want to see Shaw do it in front of fans every week these lot haven’t been playing real football for 18 months that extra pressure of a crowd has been missing.

I think he might just have matured think he’s settled down off the pitch no longer living in the city centre with his mates think he’s settled down and had a child so maybe that plus lockdown has him fully focused on his football. Having a manager who wants to big him up and build his confidence not try and mentally break him might be helping too.

With Bailly I’m just done like Phil Jones talent is there but if you can’t stay fit enough to play 2 games a week you can’t expect to survive at top clubs. It’s a shame for Bailly but he’s one I think needs replacing I’m hoping that Tuanzebe and Mengi can make that step up.

Im not with you on that, I dont think its a factor on his improvement.
In my opinion the pressure of a crowd could only serve to motivate and bring out the best in you. The lack of a crowd would be a deflator for most if not all footballers surely?

I think the crowd can impact people in different ways some will feed off it and use it to raise their level for others it brings extra pressure and nerves that can bring them down.

You can see some players melt when a crowd gets on their back and others who can use that crowd to spur them on.

More reports today that he’s going to turn down a new deal and wants to leave this summer in search of more regular first team football.

See no reason to stand in his way hopefully get a decent fee and invest it in a defender who can stay fit and contribute more to the first team put real pressure on the first team.

More reports today that he’s going to turn down a new deal and wants to leave this summer in search of more regular first team football.

See no reason to stand in his way hopefully get a decent fee and invest it in a defender who can stay fit and contribute more to the first team put real pressure on the first team.
So just what would be considered a decent fee then? Is it not injuries that has prevented more regular appearances? Why would that change elsewhere?

So just what would be considered a decent fee then? Is it not injuries that has prevented more regular appearances? Why would that change elsewhere?

Given his injuries I think to another European club you are looking at 10-15m to another PL side 15-20m even that might be tough with only 1 year left on his deal. At the end of the day he's worth what the market are willing to pay and if he won't sign then Utd probably have to sell unless the offers are so low say 5m that you might as well just keep him and let him go for free.

Think we got about 12m in the end for Smalling so I'd hope that we can get something in that sort of region for Bailly.

Might be one where you have a low fee plus bonuses to top it up if he hits certain targets to a top club that's maybe looking for a bit of depth at centre back rather than a nailed on starter he's worth money but if he wants that sort of role he might as well stay here.

I don't think he's as good as either of our first choice CB's, and he is injury prone, so I can see selling him is the best option. Probably 10m yeah.

The Varane rumours won't go away, so maybe one in one out. They want 60m for him, he has 1 year left so we hope to drop that.

I think Bailly had the potential to be a really good centre back but yeah injuries killed him think I read he's only played 100 games for Utd in 5 seasons at the club, he's had rotten luck. Reminds me a lot of Phil Jones injuries hit at a key time in their development so they never got that experience and development so they can't fulfill the potential.

I personally think Bailly is a better partner for Maguire than Lindelof but if you can't trust him to play twice a week on a regular basis and handle the workload at a club like Utd you can't make him your first choice.

Seems a very popular squad member but if he wants to play Utd should let him go but he'll probably need to be realistic about the sort of club he could play for as he'll struggle at any club in europe because of his fitness problems.

Get him on the pitch he's a really good defender bit unorthodox in how he does things but still a good player.

None of our defenders seem to be very good at reading the game and getting into the right positions, there is a fair bit of reactive work going on. Varane would bring that level of play.

A decent fee is entirely relative to how much money we need to raise to fund incomings. If we have the usual 70m and are looking to spend 150m then we're going to need Bailly to return more than if we're only looking to spend 100m.

A decent fee is entirely relative to how much money we need to raise to fund incomings. If we have the usual 70m and are looking to spend 150m then we're going to need Bailly to return more than if we're only looking to spend 100m.
By my mathematicas that comes to 1400 quid

If it's Inter Milan I'd be charging them a little more for the delayed payments on Lukaku.

Talk this morning of a new 4 year deal being close.

I mean have we learned nothing from Rojo and Jones.

Doing it on the cheap as per usual I like Bailly but if you can't stay fit you shouldn't be getting new deals but this option is cheaper than just taking the hit on him.

If he's sticking around next season he needs to be your 4th or 5th choice option at centre back.

jeez, he needs selling

Although I did read Chelsea have beaten us to Varane grrrrrrrr

Confirmed 3 year deal with a 1 year option to extend.

27 years old and been at the club 5 seasons and only played 100 games due to various injuries

Nothing personal against Bailly he'd be an idiot not to accept a deal like that with his record but what are the club playing at.

3 year deal? Either we are the world's biggest money laundering operation, or whomever decided this was a god idea was dropped on their heads too many times as a baby. Rojo Mk II.

3 year deal? Either we are the world's biggest money laundering operation, or whomever decided this was a god idea was dropped on their heads too many times as a baby. Rojo Mk II.

It’s the same as Matic last season.

Bailly had 12 months left so it’s a 2 year extension my guess is they hope to sell him next summer.

Jones, Rojo, Mata and Matic have all in my opinion been given needless contracts in recent seasons to save the cost of replacing them just kicking the can down the road.

Oh I know we have previous when it comes to being stupid, it's just stupid that we keep repeating the same stupidity. The stupidest part of this stupid plan, is we extend players who then don't play, and then stupid Ed refuses to sell them to a traditional mid-table side who he deems our 'rival.' Stupid!

The only thing I'd say is Bailly has been very unlucky with the type of injuries he gets and to be fair he's been fit a lot more this season than in previous seasons.

I think it's become more and more clear that Ole doesn't rate Tuanzebe so feels to me like they'll sell Tuanzebe this summer and hopefully buy another CB so a guy like Bailly might end up becoming your 4th choice rather than your 3rd choice which isn't to bad a place to be.

The idea behind what they do makes sense on paper but the problem always seems to be that when they come to sell those players 12 months later with more time on the contract the players either don't want to leave or no one wants to buy them.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back