Brown and O'Shea complete Sunderland move, doubts surround Gibson's move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kop join O'Shea hunt

LIVERPOOL are one of five clubs chasing the signature of John O'Shea (right), who looks set to turn down Sunderland.

But there is plenty of interest elsewhere, with Tottenham, Newcastle and Aston Villa all interested in the €6m- rated Ireland defender.

Also has Gibbo actually gone to Sunderland? Don't think so.

It's a shame Brown is going also but O' Shea going gets to me more. If O' Shea and Gibson go it will be the first time in God knows how many years that a player from the Republic of Ireland will not be in the squad.

Of the three O'Shea leaving is the bigger loss in my opinion. He has been a solid, dependable squad member that can play in more than one position.

Yeah out of the three I think we will miss O'shea the most, he is a really good squad player

It's a shame Brown is going also but O' Shea going gets to me more. If O' Shea and Gibson go it will be the first time in God knows how many years that a player from the Republic of Ireland will not be in the squad.

Gibson isnt from the Republic.....can of worms?
Anyway i had a dream last night O'Shea scored a penalty to win us the Champions League against Barca....i have seen into the future.

Manchester United defender John O'Shea set to join Sunderland > Manchester United > Sport | Click Manchester

Arsenal linked shock move for Manchester United defender John O'Shea - Transfer News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

I think that's a big risk offering him a 4 year contract. If he can get fit and stay injury free, Brown could guide them into Europe.

Brown is overrated by some United fans and equally underrated by non United fans. He is a tough tackler but his positional awareness (his concentration wondered) prevented him from becoming United's regular centre back which is why his best season was at rightback.

Someone on here mentioned Brown and O'Shea are part of the family atmosphere at the club and that is main disappointment about his exit in my opinion.

Injuries prevented him from being a regular. His performances at CB during the early 00s show what could have been. And then as he was getting injured so much we bought Nemanja. If you can find the Semi Final in 04 vs Arsenal then you will see that Brown could have been one of the best had it not been for injuries.

Fergie: "The Best Natural Defender in England"

Injuries have been a factor or is it the age old tale of an injured player receiving a status above their level. The times he did play he was unconvincing as a central defender in my opinion, for the reasons mentioned in my above post.

Only in the last few years he was unconvincing, due to him not getting much game time in that position, plus he was regularly unfit. He was great at CB in the early 00s. The reason he got moved to RB was because Neville got injured and there was no one else really, Brown always had good ability on the ball too so it made sense. This turned out to be a better position for him. He's been dogged by injuries since 99/00 and it's affected him throughout his career particularly in the last few years and probably was made worse when he rarely missed a game in 07/08.

He's lasted 14 years at the club despite an awful injury record, that shows how much Fergie rated him to me. The spat he and Fergie supposedly had too shows Fergie rated him highly, not many others would have survived a spat with Fergie.

Quick, Strong, Read the game well, crucial interceptions, big game player, good on the ball, good in the air. I believe he's the only player to win the Young Player of the Year award twice too. Underrated for me and could have been even better.

I have witnessed Brown's career and at times he has struggled as a central defender in my opinion. He has been unlucky with injuries however is playing record is better than what some may think. Between 02/03 and 07/08 he has only failed to play more than 30 games in one season and that was in 03/04.

The last paragraph is a better description for Ferdinand, not Brown the central defender.

Brown has been a good player and servant to United so I don't want to do him a disservice. He is however overrated as a central defender by some United fans.

I'd agree with Jason, i think Wes has been underrated more than anything else.

As regards being overrated by some United fans, Wes probably has, but i can't say i've ever noticed it personally.

Underrated as he was one of our best defenders in the early-mid 00s and was a key part in 07/08 which many don't recognise. Most didn't give him the credit he deserved over the years. Good CB could have been better at CB had it not been for injuries, better at RB could have been better had it not been for injuries.

Just remembered... 2nd leg v Barca in 08... played a blinder at CB with Rio in Vida's absence.

With regards to the last paragraph, Rio's description with changes:

Quick, Strong, Read the game brilliantly, crucial interceptions, big game player, brilliant on the ball, brilliant in the air, great composure, great concentration, great positioning.

Brown has had good games at centre back, of course he has. The Barcelona semi final is a perfect example. He has also had his fair share of scary moments. One of our best defenders in the early-mid 00s? When we had Ferdinand, Neville and O'Shea was excellent in that period and performed better than Brown.

Could have been better if not for injuries is hypothetical really. He may have, he may not.

Only non United fans underrate Brown, but who really cares about their opinion. I'd say 99.9% appreciate what he did in 07/08. He is definitely not underrated by United fans, including myself.

Good season 00-01, 01-02 was good again although he was injured for a lot of it, still got selected for the World Cup though. Good again in 02-03 but got injured again, missed half of 03-04 because of an injury, was brilliant for the 2nd half of the season. Was good again in 04-05, brilliant in the 05 Cup Final, unfortunately we lost on Pens.

I don't want O'Shea to leave
I mean in one way i'm thinking why the hell would Fergie actually want O'Shea to go?

With O'Shea we know what we're getting, he rarely lets the side down, probably underrated if anything else, he's versatile- i mean Sheasy's even played in goal for us at White Hart Lane!

If he goes, he goes but i would be disappointed.

I agree Geoff he is a very versatile player and I am sure a good guy to have in the squad

I agree Geoff he is a very versatile player and I am sure a good guy to have in the squad
Absolutely.

Sheasy rarely lets us down. In fact he probably doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back