Brexit

Premier League clubs won't be able to sign U18's from Europe.

Also a cap of 3 under 21's per window.

Not sure it will be we went big in last few windows to stock up one last time.

We probably need to become much better at nailing down the top domestic talent again.

It was a few years ago but the story was Utd had stopped pulling in the top north west talent as these kids were all signing to City and even Liverpool.

This could be a problem for the whole of UK football. Not being able to sign under 18's. More senior players needing to get a certain amount of points for a visa. Managers too.

New rules re: managers means we would have not been able to appoint Ole. Probably a a lot more managers in the league too.

Could this be a disaster for UK football? Very possible.

It does depend on how stringent the rules are in terms of getting points for example Ole having worked in the UK before with Cardiff plus years of experience in Europe and getting in the CL.

It's far from ideal but I don't see it making a major difference at the PL level where it will likely have more impact is in the EFL where they will find it harder to bring in players from Europe now.

Couple of bad news items on the R5 news today re: Brexit.

Firm Brexiteer and billionaire Sir Jim Ratclffe (united fan wish he'd buy them) who wants to build the discontinued Land Rover discovery (or similar). Was going to build his factory in Wales, the tories pronounced this as a good reason for Brexit showing business could boom. Is now going to build the factory in France due to import costs on parts.

They also had a haulier on who said a crate on a container ship pre brexit was $1800, it's now $4000 andis expected to go up to $7000.

Big few days a trade deal is essential for so many industries we are not a self sustaining country.

So many manufacturing jobs require frictionless trade with Europe as does my industry construction this deal is vital.

Doesn't seem like a compromise is going to be found and we are heading towards the 1st January with no trade deal.

It's hard to see at this stage how they can do a deal without the UK bending on it's sovereignty requirements.

I know this won't bother some people, but I would have thought a lot of Brexit voters were expecting a deal of some sort, they were promised one.

I know this won't bother some people, but I would have thought a lot of Brexit voters were expecting a deal of some sort, they were promised one.

There will certainly be some who are disappointed that we end up with no deal but there will be plenty who think it’s great.

Brexit meant different things to different people.

We will never really know the true impact of Brexit on our country because of the pandemic totally skews any economic assessment in 5-10 years time when you could really see how it changed.

I just look at us as a nation and think ever since this became a topic we’ve never been so divided as people in all classes. Brexit has split people in every class in the UK working, middle or upper class people are all split on this issue.

they had a farmer on the radio yesterday who voted Brexit. He was saying this isn't what they (farmers) voted for. Not what they were promised.

I can't remember the figures, but 40% on lamb, 60% on beef, 30% on grain prices them out the European market. And a no deal will mean a trade deal with the US who don't have the same food standards. A race to the bottom on food quality is what he was saying.

They also has a haulier who said there are only 1800 licenses being dished out or something, meaning loads of job losses.

Anyone who voted thinking that Brexit would be a good thing is fking dumb, they bought into the internal Tory debate, with a side order of lies and racism. The country is headed for a fking disaster, no 2 ways about it and we're rudderless with that c**t Boris as PM. Could be real issues faced with travel and more importantly getting food and medicine on the shelves, and to think people voted for this by a landslide last year :(

You can't blame the Tories for Brexit. Labour refused to give an opinion.

You can't blame the Tories for Brexit. Labour refused to give an opinion.
I think there is an argument that the state of the current negotiations are because of Tory back Benchers. Boris petrified of Reece Mogg et all

The only reason there was a Brexit referendum was due to the Tory party being divided on Europe since the 1970's, then the emergence of UKIP (slightly more racist Tories). Cameron thought Remain would win so called the referendum to call their bluff, that didn't go so well lol.

The only reason there was a Brexit referendum was due to the Tory party being divided on Europe since the 1970's, then the emergence of UKIP (slightly more racist Tories). Cameron thought Remain would win so called the referendum to call their bluff, that didn't go so well lol.

Could go back 1 step further the Lib Dems teaming up with the Tories over Labour to form a government putting them back in power gave them the grounds to put this question to the people. Putting this question to people during a period of austerity and recession following the banking crash was a very dangerous game as there were a lot of very fed up working class people who could easily be swayed to thinking a vote to leave the EU will radically change their prospects in life. Sad reality is Brexit will very likely cause further job loses in the UK which will hit the lowest paid hardest as it always does.

The remain camp were probably bullish having won a remain vote in the Scottish independence vote but what they didn't appreciate was just how fed up people were and how much easier a leave campaign was to run. Lets face it lying about what might happen is a lot easier than lying about something that has already happened this was the first campaign that was run more online than in the papers and leave nailed the use of new technology to drill their message home to people in a way remain couldn't.

This whole thing has become very political both sides are terrified of being cast as the loser in these negotiations and if we end up with no deal then it's lose lose for both sides.

Wtf? Really? Guess you also believe that Corbyn is an anti semite and that Iraq still have weapons of mass destruction?

Corbyn has sat on the fence throughout the entire thing. Offered absolutely nothing because he's personally wanted to leave Europe but knew saying it out loud was career suicide as he couldn't get his party around him.

Corbyn set labour back years and it's a delight that he's no longer the head of the party.

'This is how we prevent food waste' - By taking food and wasting it?

Rules are rules, if they have laws preventing certain foods entering from outside the EU bloc, then they can't just allow it because it's the UK. It's a consequence of Brexit. The drivers should know this and not take food with them. You wouldn't bring food in from a trip to Australia would you.

I just don't understand the statement I questioned. How does this stop food waste?

And I wouldn't bring food from Australia because of the time taken to travel. I wouldn't have thought twice about purchasing sandwich and a bottle of water at Kings Cross and jumping on the eurostar.

And yes it is a consequence of Brexit. But it just shows you the bureaucrazy of the EU.

it doesn't stop food waste, the driver should have been better informed.

I agree, especially France, has lots of Bureaucracy, but in this instance I don't agree it is the fault of the EU. The UK does not allow food to come in from certain regions, pre Brexit, outside the EU. You only need to watch the Heathrow and Gatwick TV shows to know this.

The UK is no longer part of the EU so must follow the same rules, regardless. Until they cut some kind of deal. You can't change the rules just because it's the UK.

I get 100% why it happens it's pretty typical that you aren't allowed to bring in food to other countries when crossing borders for various reasons and it works equally the other way. This is just something we took for granted during my lifetime as you never needed to think about it.

There will be lots of other small changes when we travel into europe such as our driving licenses are no longer valid forms of ID so we might have to carry our passport with us at all times. Those who live in europe for parts of the year may need to apply for residency in that country and prove they have the necessary income to support themselves.

Things will obviously settle down as people get used to the new system but we are already seeing some kickback from europe as buying British now brings a hassle they didn't have before even if it's just a bit of additional paperwork and same applies for those who import into the UK from Europe.

A haulier and someone important at the border (cant remember who/what exactly) was on the radio yesterday saying most companies are operating at about 40% at the moment trying to work out how it all works. Which is why there are no lorries backed up.

Not sure why you've tagged me. Unsure if you read the article. But I was just quoting it.
The Dutch border control said 'this is how we stop food waste' this is all I questioned.

As I said I think it's just stupid red tape trying to be difficult. Stupidity of the highest order really. But the EU have always proven themselves to be petty and it'll be tit for tat that continues as German/Italian drivers find themselves stuck at Dover struggling with petty issues.

I read a couple of lines of it only and closed it down. It deserved no more of my time than that. Well, I laughed..... :D

Not sure why you've tagged me. Unsure if you read the article. But I was just quoting it.
The Dutch border control said 'this is how we stop food waste' this is all I questioned.

As I said I think it's just stupid red tape trying to be difficult. Stupidity of the highest order really. But the EU have always proven themselves to be petty and it'll be tit for tat that continues as German/Italian drivers find themselves stuck at Dover struggling with petty issues.

I don't see it as red tape it's enforcement of rules we signed up to they're very protective of their market and now that we've decided to leave we'll have the rules imposed on us as they are only the rules that we agreed to. If you can't cross a border with food be it for personal consumption of trade then the rules have to be enforced by the border patrols as it's their job on both sides to do that. You play by the rules as they are written and you enforce them.

For all we know there's a load of European drivers moaning that we've taken their lunch off them at the border when they've entered the UK.

A lot of the issues currently are just everyone getting used to a new system once the disciplines are in place it will get easier.

The comment about food waste was a response to say don't force us to waste food by taking it off you basically don't bring it in the first place that way we don't have to dispose of it and also hold you up.

definitley @jsp, I agree , it's not petty, it's the new laws the UK has to abide to. Get over it and follow the laws.

I'm surprised it's happened, every idiot should know you can't just travel with food wherever you like across boarders. Either him or his employers should have known this.

Rules or not ofcourse it's petty. If they can't see the difference between having a sandwich for personal consumption inside your lorry for your job and having a lorry full of ham they're being petty.

Like when people are charged with jumped up drugs charges for having a joints worth of weed on them. The law being enforced isn't being used for the reason it was brought in.

I also don't think there is much to get over. Just highlights the sheer stupidity of the EU bloc and why many wanted out.

But you're not looking at it properly. If you had a ham sandwich from Australia at, for example, Gatwick customs. You would not be able to bring it through.

You cannot bring meat accross boarders. That is one of the consequences of Brexit. It's pathetic, but it's the law and it works both ways.

He should have just eaten it there and then and be done with it.

the UK website has not been updated yet, but it will now be the same as non EU before

What you can and cannot bring from countries outside the EU or Switzerland​

If you’re bringing animal and animal products into the UK, then Gibraltar and Cyprus are treated as non-EU countries.

There are extra restrictions for the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland.

You cannot bring in:

• meat and meat products
  • milk or dairy products, other than powdered infant milk, infant food, special foods and special pet feed needed for medical reasons

If you’re bringing plants or plant and animal and animal products into GB, all regulated plants and plant products should be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.
Read guidance on importing plants and plant products.

If Border Force think you have brought something into the country illegally, they can take it off you. This is called ‘seizure’.

You must declare any products you are bringing in from outside the EU.

If you declare illegal products to Border Force officers, they will take them away and destroy them. No further action will be taken.

I'm looking at it perfectly properly. I understand the rule and think it's very petty. You seem to think I don't grasp the rule. I do 100%, which is why I said the rule being enforced isnt being enforced in the way it was intended.

They didn't bring in said rule to stop a lorry driver having a sandwich. Or do you think that was genuinely the intention when bring the rule in?

But you can't just change the rules to suit a lorry driver coming from Britain. It would be the same from wherever they were arriving outside the EU.

Britain voted for Brexit and the newpapers shouldn't be printing this stuff like it's the EU's fault. It just stokes some kind of BS them against us cr@p

Obey the rules until you have struck a deal. It's simple. It's a non story.

There are far more important things to worry about than a ham sandwich that needs sorting, like security.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back