Brexit

I think it's perfectly fine and amusing to highlight the pettiness behind it. Will it be acceptable if he uses vegan alternatives? That's what I'd be doing next time to really wind the petty work force up.

There are a lot of important issues to be sorted. You're right and it's a shame that they can't see the guys lunch shouldn't be a massive issue.

The EU have constantly worked with an us and them mentality over the last few years refusing to even come to the negotiating table. Trying to be bully boys.

The sooner Italy follow suit the better.

I think the them and us has worked on you. The UK have been just as difficult. That's what negotiation is.

As for the laws, you've got to abide by them until they are sorted. It's simple as far as I can see it. No mater how small. Like I said, you cant bring a sandwich over from Australia, Africa, USA etc.

I'm gutted, I'll no longer be able to bring a gammon joint over.

My guess is the driver probably wasn't aware that this change of rules also covered food for personal consumption. It's not a major inconvenience anyway they can buy fresh supplies when they've crossed over the border you just adapt to the new rules/

To use your drug reference there's a difference in punishment between being caught with a few joints or a whole truck full but either way your weed is getting conviscated. So the drivers butties go in the bin and that's probably the end of the matter if he's got a truck full of meat then things go a bit different.

If anything you could see it as the total opposite being in the EU protected us from all these petty rules by removing the need for the rules to exist in the first place. By being outside of that arrangement we suffer the consequences of these small things that we all need to get used to now when we cross into EU countries.

got put the line somewhere I suppose, you allow 5 kilos of meat in, the guy with 5.5 kilos will think its being petty.

To use your drug reference there's a difference in punishment between being caught with a few joints or a whole truck full but either way your weed is getting conviscated. So the drivers butties go in the bin and that's probably the end of the matter if he's got a truck full of meat then things go a bit different.

That really does depends on the officer in question. One will tell to be more careful next time and another will have you down the station. Depends again on how petty they want to be. (Disclaimer I haven't touched any drugs in soon to be 8 years)

I understand why theyre behaving in the way they are. The EU saw it as a slap in the fact that the UK wanted out and wanted to be independent of the red tape. There are many arguments for both sides but taking the guys sandwiches is stupid. There does have to be a line you're correct and the line should be for personal consumption. If a guys got a ham sandwich you use a bit a common sense. Something obviously severely lacking.

I'd hope we aren't as foolish here when searching incoming lorries but you can gaurantee we are.

That really does depends on the officer in question. One will tell to be more careful next time and another will have you down the station. Depends again on how petty they want to be. (Disclaimer I haven't touched any drugs in soon to be 8 years)

I understand why theyre behaving in the way they are. The EU saw it as a slap in the fact that the UK wanted out and wanted to be independent of the red tape. There are many arguments for both sides but taking the guys sandwiches is stupid. There does have to be a line you're correct and the line should be for personal consumption. If a guys got a ham sandwich you use a bit a common sense. Something obviously severely lacking.

I'd hope we aren't as foolish here when searching incoming lorries but you can gaurantee we are.

Will admit it's not really my area of expertise so never really had any dealings with the coppers on the drug one but like speeding sometimes you get a warning for a minor infraction other times you get punished can depend on a number of factors. If they're having a crack down on a certain issue that week, how you react to the incident etc but you know you're guilty you're just praying for a copper who can't be bothered with dealing with it.

It's new rules so you go super strict to start off with so people get the message and over time blind eyes will be turned to the small infractions and it is obviously in the EU's interest to make Brexit look like a massive ball ache just in case other countries are thinking about leaving.

I guess if you don't crack down just wrap your illegal meat in bread and send it over the border with a fat driver who can claim that whole pigs worth of pork in the back is his lunch. Haha!

Not really going to go down the whole good idea bad idea argument we both know where each other stands on this issue from a previous forum but these are the rules now so get used to it this is what the masses voted for after all.

The damage was clearly already done. You're hamming it up here.

The carrying of food between countries is to do with foot and mouth disease, they'd a big outbreak in the UK think in the early 2000's and since then it was prohibited. Prior to that you could fly all over the place with food, I used to vac pack a few steaks to bring on holiday with me back in the day lol.

I can't give blood in France because I was in the UK during mad cow disease

@Mr C I'm sure you're aware that sending gifts from France to the UK will now come with additional costs lost of people finding they're having to pay the delivery firms additional charges to receive gifts/orders from countries within the EU.

I guess that means when we go on holiday into the EU we need to declare anything we buy at customs on the way back to pay any duties owed not really something to worry about now but I guess this will be the next thing people will get caught out by post Brexit.

Yes this is true, where I used buy things on Amazon UK as they were sometimes cheaper. This will no longer be the case. Just bought my tea (1100 bags) and it was another £3 or something. Which is tax I think.

I assume it's now like buying from the US, where you have to pay duty when it comes in.

First they took my passport, then they took my free data roaming abroad and now they're taking away our milkshakes... when will the madness end.

Not going to lie the government need to sort out some short term work visa's for EU residents across all sorts of industries logisitics, construction, hospitality are all struggling from the double whammy impact of Brexit and Covid.

I was reading students studying Spanish will not be able to do their year in Spain this year because of visa difficulties.

The thing with Brexit is because of the timing of the pandemic it's very hard to judge what is a Brexit impact and what is a Covid impact on anything as both are hitting at the same time.

That studying thing is something that will just need to be sorted but it's probably not high up on anyone's priority list at the moment as there will be students no the other end studying English who will want to come to the UK as part of their study.

It does still feel like both sides are still trying to score points when negotiating even the smalling thing so they can be seen as the winners in the debate afterwards.

For me the UK has failed to prepare for Brexit a huge number of these issues with labour were foreseeable and it seems almost nothing was done to prepare for replacing our reliance on foreign workers in all sorts of industries. So when the plug has been pulled it's a mad scramble and every industry is creaking as a result.

Yeah, I don't think it was Spain making it difficult, it was lack of understanding and speed on the UK side.

Surely it's not just a Spain issue it'll be the same issue for students who are studying any language and want to do a year abroad that will need to get a visa now whereas before they didn't.

We've seen in football how the visa process slows things down as it's extra boxes that need to be ticked before people can enter the country.

So the inevitable price rises begin because we didn't prepare for the drop in labour supply.

I've got no issue with the drivers making the most of this opportunity and taking pay rises it's supply and demand that dictates your value as a worker so when demand is high and supply is low you should be making the most of your opportunity.

What really frustrates me is we had years to get ready for this start training people to do all the jobs that we rely on foreign labour for or allow for key jobs that require foreign labour to remain or get easy access after Brexit while we train our own.

On that topic good luck getting people to train for that job it's often long unsociable hours, lonely work, poor facilities and for a long time an industry where wages had stagnated massively.

That said I do think the retailers shouldn't just be passing all costs on to the consumers they have played a role in not preparing for this and it's not like these costs will put them out of business just make a small dent to their healthy profit margins.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back