Zinedine Zidane at Real Madrid 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
An embarrassing defeat.

They don't seem to be getting much momentum going this season at the moment.

Just looks a really average side on paper if you ask me lots of fading stars who are at the end of their careers.

They massively rely on Benzema up top if he doesn't deliver no one else does.

They'll still be in title contention this season as all the Spanish sides look weak this year but can't see them being anywhere in Europe this season this side will do well to make it further than the 1/4 finals.

Needs a big overhaul that squad.

Very, very poor.
I did say we are just an ok team. I also said weeks ago that we would do nothing in Europe this year.
I’ve been saying that United can’t properly move forward until you know where you are with Ole.
Well, it dawned on me last night that it is no different for us.
I love Zidane, but we need a change. And the squad looks tired and in need of 4/5 quality additions.
Isco has been a shadow of himself...
Asensio has not developed into the player we expected...
Marcelo is finished, could never defend, a real liability...
Modric has to be replaced soon...
Casemiro only holding midfielder at club. When he doesn’t play...
Central defender required...
Creator in midfield required...
Goalscorer urgently required...
Hazard is a disaster, Jovic is completely lost...
We are in trouble AGAIN!!! Which happens much too frequently under Perez. Always feast or famine...
And, dare l say it...
...we are in worse shape than you.
Why would Mbappe want to come???
We might have trouble making top 4 if this continues...

I think you're lucky that neither Barca or Atletico look that strong this season either so top 4 shouldn't be a problem you'll probably still be in a title race.

Just one of these things great eras come to an end and there's a few to many of the "legends" hitting that age where it's time to move on. I'm not watching but I hear Ramos is really struggling and Varane who normally looks solid as a rock is struggling as well.

To be fair I think Zidane did identify that when he left first time round but the younger players who've come in haven't really lived up to the hype and the big buy in Hazard has flopped on paper he was the perfect signing at the time though.

Takes a special player to wear the Madrid shirt you need bullet proof confidence as the pressure is massive not sure it's really a spot for young kids to develop talent.

Putting it right will cost a fortune could need a summer like 2009 when I think they signed Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Alonso to totally overhaul that squad. I know Kaka flopped but it needs a few absolute nailed on hits to really put the spark back into that side.

Have they got the money to do that will be the question with the prices still being sky high despite the pandemic hitting clubs income.

Zidane has his shortcomings and l want to see a change...
...but let’s not get too carried away.
I fear he will only go when he chooses. Club can’t sack him.

Hazard injured again as well things just aren’t happening for him there.

Another loss tonight to Shakthar. They really have gone to the dogs.

Leaves them relying on favours from Inter or they're out.

Looks to me like they need a new creative French midfielder.

I know just the guy and you can have him at a cut price 100m and even better news you can have him in January.

I've got a central defender that I think would really excel in Spain you could throw in too.

I've got a central defender that I think would really excel in Spain you could throw in too.

Got a French lad who thinks he’s Henry as well. He’d get on great with Benzema they can bond over who hates Deschamps more.

They are too busy concerning themselves with Atletico instead of Alaves
Here beginith the lesson..........

Inter getting the job done tonight so far.

Win next week and you're through and you're only 9 behind in the title race. Season is far from being done.

But you've got to get your big players performing.

Back to Back wins has put them joint top with Sociedad and Atletico Madrid.

Atletico do have 2 games in hand on the other two sides.

Benzema is now the foreign player with the most appearances for the club which is a hell of a record to have and he's really stepped up as a leader of the team in recent seasons. Averages a goal every other game but his scoring has really accelerated since Ronaldo left.

Surprised we haven't had a visit from our resident Madrid fan to explain how they got knocked out the cup by a third division side last night.

Sounds like the transition plans are going badly and Zidane will be gone at the end of the season he doesn't trust the kids to get results and his favourites aren't delivering either.

Their cross city rivals look nailed on to win the league 4 points clear with 2 games in hand.

It's always hard to rebuild after such a dominant era with such a succesful group of players who all age together especially when the veterans are still better than the young players in a lot of cases.

Does feel like Madrid and Barca will need 2 or 3 years to unpick the mess they're in at the moment and get back to the very top. Madrid are maybe a bit further ahead they've had 18 months of life after Ronaldo whereas Barca are yet to experience life after Messi which is going to be a massive problem for them.

Zidane is not a good coach, simple, he won those CL because of Ronaldo.

Spanish press want him gone now

I disagree I think he's got something about him but he's not the man for this job as it is now he is not a manager who can mould a team of youngsters give him the finished products and he'll mould them into a great team.

That is what he did at Madrid he put all the square pegs in the square holes and got the best out of that group of players.

He was also able to manage the political minefield that comes with being Madrid boss.

I thought you might :D

I wouldn't want him anywhere near united, and his league form is iffy, and thats what you should be judged on first as a manager I think. I also don't think he has managed the players very well.

I like him, as a player he was awesome, the French love him. But I just don't rate him as a coach for some reason. Maybe unfairly. I think he should have more league titles considering the palyers he had.

I just think it's unfair to say he only won those titles because of Ronaldo he won the league without Ronaldo last season.

Think he's won the league in 2 of his 5 full seasons as manager so he's done well enough.

I wouldn't have him at Utd for the reasons above I don't think he's a guy who will build you back up to being on top but give him a good squad of players and he'll work out the system that gets the best from them which is basically what he did at Madrid.

Do we take away any of Pep's trophies won with Messi in the team or Sir Alex titles with Ronaldo?

Pep/Alex has/have done it elswhere.

It was clear Ronaldo was bang on for the CL in those years, for his own personal stats.

It's no biggie, you think he's a good manager, I think he got lucky with a decent squad and player bang on for personal gongs

I think you can blag one trophy but I don't think you can blag as many as he has there's got to be more behind it I don't think his Madrid teams will live long in the memory for being exciting but they were just ruthless winners an incredible group of players and keeping those ego's in check is part of management.

I agree he's got to probably do it again at another club to be considered a top coach.

Where I think he succeeded was he wasn't constrained by the power of the president he didn't have to pick the presidents favourites to keep his job so he was able to balance the team in a way that other managers couldn't as he could bench an expensive star name like James or Bale.

I don't rate Zidane. But 3 Champions Leagues and 2 titles in 5 seasons is a phenomenal record. I don't think you can blag that record.

I wouldn't want him at United though. He's a defensive manager who hasn't proved he can do it with a squad that doesn't contain one of the two best players in the world.

What I want to say about this shambles would take far too long on a United forum, and most of you wouldn’t be interested.
Suffice to say l am on record here saying Zizou’s time is up.
I’ve been hearing for weeks that Real don’t want to do anything until the season is at an end. Then l learn that Guillem Balague (always knows what he is talking about) was saying the same thing on bbc 5 live.
Even defeat tonight at Alaves (likely) wouldn’t change that. ZZ might decide to walk away (at any time), but Perez will sit tight while Rome burns, unless a champions league place next season is threatened.
I love Zidane, a legend in the truest sense. But 3 champions leagues and 2 la ligas shouldn’t shield him from his many shortcomings. This will be his last season, as l said months ago.
As for Perez, l have long been a critic. A president who receives far too much praise. 4 champions leagues in 5 years was, in many ways, won in spite of him. Santiago Bernabeu he is not...
There are no elections every 4 years, as there should be, because he altered the club’s statutes, making it almost impossible for anyone to challenge him. Once he is gone (might be years) l will fly to Madrid...
...and l won’t need an aeroplane.

Who would you like to see replace him?

Should the club let Ramos leave or try to offer him a new deal?

jsp...
...Varane will almost certainly leave this summer. He was talking of leaving 18 months ago, but things went quiet last summer. To lose both him and our captain in the same window would be a problem, which might strengthen Sergio’s hand.
He used United to secure a monster contract last time he extended, and wants to extend for 2 years on the same terms. Real, as you might know, are willing to give him one year on the same money, 2 years for around 10% less.
Not sure how this will end.
I’m inclined to give him what he wants. He has been fabulous, my favourite player, and he is still a force on and off the pitch.
If l were United, l would go after Varane. He wants a fresh challenge and would be a good signing for anyone. You would have competition. He has been a little low on confidence since his mistakes against City last season, a few mistakes creeping into his game, but worth going after.
With one year left on his contract, Real might not get much more than 30 million. Competition for his signature would push the price up.

Mbappe joining Madrid, this summer was only ever 50/50. Now it looks like he is leaning toward PSG. I’m not too bothered about that. If he is going to extend with them, then let it happen quickly. That way, Perez, can stop obsessing (like he always does) and the club can rebuild in a more coherent way. I’d be more than happy with Haaland, a centre back, Odegaard back and the return of Reguilon.

As for Zidane, this is his final season. Things can’t continue like this.
His coaching, by his own admission, is not up there with the best. His handling of many of our players is unacceptable. Too many get pushed out and ignored. But he constantly says, “l love all my players.” Yeah, just some more than others. He will never discard Hazard, but has no patience with Vinicius (who, worryingly, isn’t improving). He doesn’t improve and develop players, sadly. He doesn’t seem to give the younger players the support they need. The confidence they need.
But we cannot sack him. Just can’t. He means too much to the club for that. He has won so much, we owe him so much.
He has to choose to walk away, and l think he will. But there will be no trophy winning ending.

Pochettino would have been my choice. Plays good football, improves players, l think it would have worked out well. But again, not to be, so l’m not sure. I always thought Gutierrez, had a shot but Perez, seems fixated with Raúl. Way too soon imo.
If Brendan Rodgers speaks Spanish (essential), l would consider him. Same with Nuno Espírito Santo and Hasenhuttl. But the danger is the job might overwhelm them. Poch, wouldn’t have had that problem.
I’m also entrigued with Julian Nagelsmann and Xabi Alonso.

So, as you can see, l’m lost.

@losblancos I think Utd should stay clear of Varane great player that he is he's had a poor run of form for the last 18 months and while his transfer fee will be fairly low I imagine his wage demands won't be he'll be looking for the big 4 or 5 year deal on big wages. I think Utd's money is better spent on identifying the "next Varane" and getting him in for his prime years this strategy is risky as gambling on a players development is risky.

The thing with Ramos is give him a 2 year deal and say next season he really shows the signs of age and you have to stop playing him he then becomes such a monumental distraction but he'll never accept being a back up his ego won't allow it. That ego is what made him a top player so it's not a dig at him. He needs to show a bit of loyalty back to the club as well how many millions has he had from them in return for his service take a 1 year deal with a 1 year option clause that can only be applied if both sides agree.

I like the managers you listed but not sure they'd be able to handle the politics that comes with being Madrid manager you not only have to keep the president happy, you need to keep the media happy and also the fans happy you need to be a PR expert as there's so many people ready to fire shots at you. It's why I think the smaller name managers fail at Madrid as they are so easy to attack and they can't really go toe to toe with the big personalities you need a lot of experience to handle that situation.

I don't think Nuno would last 5 minutes with his defensive style of football the fans would go crazy at him and he'd be out the door. Rodgers is an interesting shout given you have so many young talents he might be the perfect man to develop them but again I think he'd get eaten alive by your daily media circus. I doubt Nagelsmann could get the current squad to buy into his way of playing they'd turn on him quickly so you'd have to approve a big clear out.

In terms of what the team needs right now I can't say a lot as I hardly see them play but I'd say the attacking line doesn't look scary enough for opponents Haaland might change that but Benzema is still chugging along for you really where I think you look really short is the wide positions. I know he's not ripped it up this season but to me it looks like you need a Sancho rather than a Haaland.

We need a goal scorer, desperately.
Sancho only fits if we lose, Hazard or Vini or Rodrygo or Vázquez.
Asensio is now performing.
We have a glut of wide players, just not playing well enough.
Benzema is getting older and there is no one else. Haaland would be perfect if Jovic leaves the club. Zidane should have got much more from him. Another young talent wasted.
We will have to tread water until the summer, then we’ll see.
In the meantime, exciting time for all of you.

Haaland will only come to be the main man and Benzema won't play second choice so if Haaland comes then surely Benzema has to go?

I don't see Madrid play are these kids that you've signed Vini/Rodygo/Vazquez talented enough to make you think they can be world class in 12 months time? I guess when you've spent what you've spent on them you kind of need to give them the time because you aren't getting that money back if you do decide to sell.

We've seen patience pay off with Rashford, City had it with Sterling it can take a few frustrating years of ups and downs before it all clicks and you've suddenly got a 30 goal a season winger which is what modern football seems to require. It seemed odd that those kids you signed directly from Brazil didn't go straight out on loan to play you need that step between Brazilian league and Madrid especially if they're moving so young. Those extra years Neymar did in Brazil before going to Barca were massive for his development as a player because it made him 100% ready to go when he arrived he didn't need a settling in period.

In some ways you need a manager like Solskjaer with the vision of how to rebuild it with youth and not be afraid to boot out a few veterans a proper year zero start from scratch approach.

Incidentally, worth mentioning...
...Barcelona reportedly more than a billion euros in debt.
Haven’t paid player wages for 2/3 months (knew that).
I say we just throw them out with the rest of the rubbish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back