Young heading for the Exit? | Fee agreed with Inter

Every body is entitled to there opinion mine is that yes hes not the player he was but there's a few players over the last few years who haven't been at the level we expect. Also its worth to remember he was part of the England team and a starter at that which got our best finish at a world cup since 66 so just to say he's a squad player is a bit unfair well that's my opinion anyway

I think he had his moments, better than a squad player, and did well playing at full back, but he's not a full back. We should have had those positions sorted years ago. He'll be remembered fondly

I think that's a bit harsh on him

I've never been a fan of him for me he was never good enough for a Fergie team which is why he rarely played under him he was never good enough to be signed in the first place we got him because he was cheap and at the time the Glazers were restricting the spending due to the loans.

As our standards have dropped and they have dropped massively he's started to look better. It sounds harsh but it's how I feel about him his attitude is spot on (that attitude probably got him to Utd in the first place) but I think ability wise he never had it.

He was a pretty average winger in his prime who turned himself into a pretty average full back after his prime.

He was a better than average winger in his prime. But he was always only about adding squad depth and not a first team player.

I respect your opinion, so maybe it's the previous manager's fault for not finding a better player in all these years

100% we spent fortunes on full backs and wingers since Fergie retired and apart from James and Wan Bissaka can you call any of them a success?

Di Maria, Depay, Shaw, & Darmian are the obvious ones.

I still maintain that at the time we signed him Utd were not just a title challenger but a European challenger year on year he signed summer 2011 after we'd won the league and got to a CL final. We needed a new left winger as Park wasn't really a guy you wanted starting every game and Giggs by then wasn't a winger. Young had done pretty well at Villa but he was a bit of a one trick pony we all know it cuts inside and slings a ball to the back post or tries a shot he was pretty good at it but it was predictable.

Young was available cheap at £18m because he'd run his contract down to it's final year and Fergie took a gamble on him which I don't think really paid off for an attacking player his goal/assist/chances created stats were cr*p which is why I think he ended up being used as a full back because he was disciplined.

When he was signed he just wasn't the player we needed and I think he just became part of the furniture and he wasn't really any bother to managers so they kept him around bit like Phil Jones who came at the same time.

He was coming in as back up to Valencia and Nani. However Nani was nowhere near as good down the left and Valencia couldn't play down the left at all and Young found himself getting more game time than he imagined. It was such a shame Nani couldn't repeat his form down the left that he had on the right and we debated it numerous times but I always felt Nani should have been the main man down the right instead of being shunted out left and under performing.

You take a Nani and Young in their primes in their best position and Nani is the much better player and that tells you all you need to know about Young.

Maybe but we've had enough time now to find a better player which we haven't also why keep extending the contracts Jones included are we scared of losing them for nothing? I'd rather loose them on a free at least then where still not paying the crazy wages and we'd have to look at bringing better replacements in

He came in as a starter not a backup when he was signed he went straight in the starting XI at the start of the 2011-12 season although I think by the end of the season he'd lost his spot.

At the end of the 2011 season Park was starting left midfield Nani/Valencia at this point were only playing on the right Young was signed to replace Park in the starting XI so he was expected to play every game and in his first season he did. I think 2011 was the season where Nani was immense up until Xmas then got injured and Valencia hit form and he couldn't really back in the side after that.

It was always a tricky one with Nani because Nani at his best was a much better player than Valencia but he was also frustrating because he wasn't consistent whereas Valencia was a 7 out of 10 every week player and I think at the time the strikers we had preferred playing with him because they knew when the ball was coming in as he didn't tit around as much as Nani did. One thing Nani did have in the locker was he was a man for the big occasion.

Young almost left 3 years ago in January in Mourinho's first season he was happy for him to go but the offers that came were from clubs fighting relegation and I think one from China so he stuck around and played his way back in by converting to left back.

He had a bit of a swan song career as a full back I reckon if he started his career again today he'd have been a quality right back but trying to become an attacking right back in your 30's is tough and he never really had the legs for it.

Having just looked he actually had decent stats that first season. 25 games. 6 goals. 11 assist. His third game for us was that game against Arsenal. I think we probably all got carried away after that 2 goals and 3 assist. What a game that was. Stats don't look too great when you see that of the 6 goals and 11 assist 2 goals and 5 assist came in the first 3 games of the season!

He was actually heavily punished for the 6-1 loss to City. Didn't get back in the side after that for a long while.

Nani will always be one of my favourite players. Just moments of brilliance that others couldn't come up with. The chop chip goal against Arsenal. He absolutely loved playing against them at a time where the rivalry was still there.

Anyway what will all think of him regardless of his ability I hope I'm right in thinking we all wish him good fortune's on his overseas adventure

Of course but that generally goes with anyone leaving United. With probably the exception of Tevez and Ruud. But I could never get on board with Ruud.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back