Yohan Cabaye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United plan £20m swoop for Newcastle schemer Yohan Cabaye - Mirror Online

Manchester United are planning a summer swoop for £20million Toon star Yohan Cabaye.

The Old Trafford outfit are *weighing up a bid for the French midfield star, 27, as they look to find a *successor to Paul Scholes.

And that was one of the reasons why Sir Alex Ferguson had his most *trusted scout – brother *Martin – at St James’ Park for the *Magpies’ *Europa League clash with Benfica on *Thursday.

Not seen a lot of him and Newcastle recently. Earlier in the season, they looked really poor and then he came back from injury and they looked better for a few games. Liked the look of him last season especially in the game's against us. Seems to be picking up a lot of injuries this season perhaps because he didn't have a pre-season.

Starts for Newcastle vs Sunderland in a bit. A derby and relegation battle, should be intense.

Good player, not great but he's gone up a bit in my estimation this season. He's technically sound but tends to drift in and out of games and can be anonymous for large periods. What I would say though is that Newcastle do seem a different side when he plays. He makes them tick.

He'd improve playing alongside better players.

Who would you rather have, Cabaye or Tiote? I guess they would be quite close in the price range.

He'd improve playing alongside better players.

Who would you rather have, Cabaye or Tiote? I guess they would be quite close in the price range.

Easy choice for me, Cabaye. Tiote would be a squad player at best for us in my opinion, not a fan. Cabaye has more about him and would potentially be first team material, certainly would allow us to rest Carrick more.

Easy choice for me, Cabaye. Tiote would be a squad player at best for us in my opinion, not a fan. Cabaye has more about him and would potentially be first team material, certainly would allow us to rest Carrick more.

Same for me. Tiote is a limited footballer and lack of quality in possession is a weak point.

Cabaye has far more about him than Tiote. Tiote started very well at Newcastle but has been poor this season and a fair bit of last season also. As Bob pointed out he's not the best in possession so is more suited to a 3 rather than a 2. Cabaye could play in a 2 man midfield.

Cabaye saying today that he would love a move to United. Seems to be pushing for a move away. Whether we're interested is another thing though. Like him but not sure he's the quality of player we need to move forward. Better than Anderson but is that enough.

I think Cabaye is currently better than our other midfielders bar Carrick. He would be a good addition to the squad if the money was right and he isn't the only midfield signing. I doubt Newcastle would sell on the cheap though.

I think Cabaye is currently better than our other midfielders bar Carrick. He would be a good addition to the squad if the money was right and he isn't the only midfield signing. I doubt Newcastle would sell on the cheap though.

I agree with this. Although if he is the only CM signing & we end up getting some big impact guy like Ronaldo (clutching straws I know) and retain Cleverley, Anderson and give chances to Powell etc, I wouldn't mind that. But preferably getting 2 CMs would be ideal especially considering Scholes retired and return of Fletcher is a bit doubtful.

You'd get Thiago or Strootman for a similar price, if not cheaper and I would prefer both of them.

He is a good player and in terms of numbers he would be a good addition to the squad. However when you have been trying to get players of the quality of Thiago and Fabragas you have to believe that buying Cabaye smacks of not being able to entice a real quality player.

Cabaye would be a good signing if we also got Fabregas. I think he's a good player and we could do with a few more players in the 26-30 age bracket.

We have a lot of youngsters, a few of them ready to step up in to the 26-30 age range (Jonny, Ando(!) and Chicha), the player's who are currently in that bracket may possibly leave soon (Nani and Rooney may leave, Young and Valencia's future's possibly in doubt), after that we've got a group of ageing senior players (Rio, Giggs, Carrick, Vidic, Evra,

Decent player and a much better footballer then say Fellaini but he wouldn't be a huge improvement on what we have. Wouldn't be a bad signing if as mentioned he's an alternative but I'd wait until the end of the summer or at least before a few other options are definitely crossed off before making an approach.

Newcastle reject Arsenal bid of around £10m for Cabaye, according to Sky Sports.

Christ no wonder Arsenal (and us) haven't signed anyone, expecting clubs to sell their best players for cut prices.

Arsenal will make a second bid of £15m, according to the London Evening Standard.

Like Carragher said on MNF, Arsenal are doing what they did a couple of years ago, after we beat them 8-2. They started panic buying, fair enough Arteta was a good signing, but players likes Santos were a complete flop.

Man United preparing late bid for Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye, reports Mike Ashley's Sports Direct website | Mail Online

Sports Direct News are reporting that Manchester United are ready to make a late move for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

The website, owned by Newcastle chairman Mike Ashley, claims to have 'exclusive' information that David Moyes is planning a last-minute swoop for the Frenchman.

Arsenal have so far refused to make an improved offer for the 27-year-old, while Paris Saint-Germain have failed to follow up their interest.

There is no mention of a valuation, although the club previously turned down a £10million bid from the Gunners, or if a fresh attempt to lure Cabaye will be successful.

The article on the website quotes: 'SportsDirect News understands that United are readying a late bid for the France midfielder as David Moyes looks to add some much needed depth and creativity to his midfield.'

Cabaye went on strike over the club's refusal to sell him to Arsenal but was introduced on Saturday to a mixed reaction from the Newcastle fans as a 65th-minute substitute in the club's 1-0 victory over Fulham.

The same website announced on Sunday that long-term Newcastle target Bafetimbi Gomis will be staying at Lyon, after months of pursuit from Newcastle’s director of football Joe Kinnear.

And the site was forced to issue a grovelling apology in May for publishing a story which claimed Newcastle were preparing a 'shock bid' for Wayne Rooney.

United are also ready to pay the £30.5m buyout clause to sign Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao.

The deal includes a friendly against the Spanish club to help finance the renovation of their San Mames stadium, but Moyes is now close to completing his first transfer at Old Trafford.

United failed with a £25.5m bid for Herrera last week with Bilbao president Jose Urrutia reluctant to lose face by letting the 24-year-old leave for anything less than the asking price.

I'd have taken him instead of Fellaini back in the summer. Would prefer to wait for better in the summer than have both now.

I would have taken Cabaye in January prior to Fletcher's return. Fletcher's return has blurred the issue a bit.

My concern is we might not be able to get world class players in summer if we don't get top four. I am not totally convinced by cabaye but if he was good enough before Fletcher then he ia now. Plus we have lost Anderson and Carrick seems to be picking up injuries. There are players I would prefer but we should certainly consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back