Wesley Sneijder revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United consider January move for Wesley Sneijder | Football | theguardian.com

Manchester United have reactivated their interest in Wesley Sneijder, with David Moyes considering a January move for the Galatasaray playmaker.

With the champions 13 points behind the leaders, Arsenal, and seven from a Champions League berth there is a renewed urgency to bolster the squad particularly in midfield.

Sneijder came close to signing for United two seasons ago before the deal fell through because of contractual issues and. The Dutchman, who reportedly has release clause of around £13m, would represent a bargain.

Moyes reiterated again at the weekend that he would not rush into moving for players. Yet the landing of Sneijder, who has a proven pedigree as a Champions League winner and World Cup finalist with Holland, would lift the club while sending a statement of intent to United's rivals.

Sneijder recently parted with his agent, Soren Lerby, so there is a sense that the 29-year-old is considering his future, despite being contracted to the Turkish club until 2016, where he earns a reported salary of €5m (£4.2m) a year.

Don't believe this but we should be looking at younger players first of all, also not the sort of player we need, before van Persie it wouldn't have been bad, would have allowed us to push Rooney forward. Makes no sense now. Not a CM. Need someone younger and more mobile. An AM is not needed, unless it's one that can play wide and has pace, as we could do with strengthening in wide areas.

I'd have him but his wages need to be lower than previously (around 200k). The transfer fee should be around the £5m mark because of injuries and he's 31+.

BREAKING NEWS: Sneijder plays down Manchester United links - Goal.com

Galatasaray playmaker Wesley Sneijder has distanced himself from reports linking him with a move to Manchester United.

Sneijder has long been linked with a move to Old Trafford, and United's midfield struggles this season have sparked fresh talk of the Dutchman joining the Premier League champions.

But speaking in the aftermath of Galatasaray's dramatic 1-0 win over Juventus that saw them qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League, Sneijder was keen to play down the reports.

He told NOS: "I know just as much as you. I don't even read the newspapers, but I've heard about the reports. At the moment it isn't an issue, but every time the transfer window is open, I get linked with all kind of clubs.

"Sometimes it's frustrating, because I have to clarify it with the fans. Here in Turkey, the supporters are very emotional. They have a lot of passion and I don't want to explain things that I don't know about.

"Again, I know just as much as you do. I feel very good at Gala, and I'm glad we're through in the Champions League. You'll never know, but at this point I'm happy here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back