Transfer window to shut before Premier League season starts next year?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think it can only work if all of Europe agrees to close the window earlier to me it makes sense but one of the main reasons it stays open is until the qualifying rounds are done for Europa/Champions Leagues some teams don't know what competitions they are playing in and therefore how strong they need to make their squads.

I just wouldn't close it at all until the end of January I see no point in having this summer cut off. Just say players registered after the 1st September can't play in European squads but I see no reason for not allowing transfers in the first half of the season.

Would put our league at such a disadvantage. If teams couldn't add but could only sell why the rest of Europe carries on as it is it. Smaller sides are annoyed that they work all pre season on something then the big boys come and take their main man, sorry but thats football. Its not an even field. Unless they are going to get every league in Europe to start on the same date then its a stupid idea.

Yeah it's a stupid idea unless all of Europe do the same. It has to be a unified thing and not just England doing it in isolation.

I personally don't mind how it is right now, I don't think it needs to be changed and I'm guessing they probably won't get 14 of the 20 EPL clubs to agree to it. Watch this space I gusss.

Would put our league at such a disadvantage. If teams couldn't add but could only sell why the rest of Europe carries on as it is it. Smaller sides are annoyed that they work all pre season on something then the big boys come and take their main man, sorry but thats football. Its not an even field. Unless they are going to get every league in Europe to start on the same date then its a stupid idea.

Thing is a lot of European Clubs are relying on the PL TV money coming their way so it might be that it helps move a lot of those deals along quicker but you'd be exposed to foreign clubs coming for your players but I guess it would just take an understanding from players/agents that if you want a move out it needs concluding before the english window shuts as once it's closed it won't happen. Anyway this is all very Brexit Haha.

Also, 2 of the major problems are currently prem clubs trying to buy from prem clubs Van Dijk & Siggurdson are both in limbo because 2 English clubs can't sort out deals.

It also needs to close before the football league starts for it to work properly and it would cause all sorts of issues with the loan system and in summers where there are international tournaments players will need to be doing medicals etc when they should be on holiday.

I really think they should just scrap the summer one completely transfers can be done from July until the end of December after than window is closed until the end of the season it would stop all the panic and just have a cut off to register players in the group stages of European comps to keep that fair.

I don't see this ending well basically there will be a 3-4 week window to sign players after the world cup finishes when most of the players likely to be on the move will have been at the world cup and we've made it even harder for all our clubs in European Competition as they'll be forced to fix their squads prior to even knowing which competition they are playing in.

If you don't sell a player to another prem club before the deadline you'll be forced to sell cheaper to a european club after our window closes.

There will be a mad rush on our deadline from European clubs who want to off load there guys to our clubs as we pay premium prices and we still have a needless panic.

Also, what happens if your star striker gets a season ending injury in the first few weeks of the season, you have to write off a whole season because you can't sign a replacement even though every other side in Europe could do that.

Top players who are wanting to move abroad will still behave like idiots because it doesn't effect them.

The window wasn't ideal but it was better than this those moaning about it are the ones who this season were just unlucky that it was their player trying to leave.

I think it'll be fine. Obviously the World Cup year will be a little tricky but there will be a few weeks before the WC and then four weeks after. It's just that the clubs will have to identify the players they want and secure them quickly and efficiently.

And if your star striker gets injured then that's bad luck. That could easily happen in October/November and you have to wait until January to replace him.

The fact that clubs do a lot of their business on the last day of the window is stupid anyway. If you're sensible then you'll do your business early and go into the season with what you have. I don't mind this decision at all. Although not seeing Harry Redknapp in his car on August 31st will fill me with sorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if other leagues follow suit and decide to close early it might suit them because the Premier League provides most of the money in the transfer market apart from a few big spending clubs like Madrid, Barca, PSG.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back