Top Utd transfer targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it’s a tough situation for us yes City and Chelsea have spent money but look at their owners real world doesn’t impact them.

Latest on Sancho is Dortmund not only want the fee but the want the vast majority of it up front in a world where cash flow has been hit hard that’s sounding unrealistic.

Every home game behind closed doors costs Utd around £4.5m in ticket prices revenues, they’ve had to pay the broadcasters back money for last season so money is tight. Utd are very stable but unless we can take advantage of clubs in trouble and get a deal I don’t see us being able to take a clubs star man by paying the premium we normally pay.

I know it’s not what people want to hear but like most clubs I think we might see one or two deals get done but I don’t think it’ll be superstars making the move.

In truth it's arguable whether it's a superstar we need or not. We don't know what budget we have and if we had 18 top quality players and a glaring weakness on the right flank then spending all your budget on sancho is the right thing to do. However we need 3 or 4 players to strengthen the squad so maybe we need to be a bit smarter in the transfer market.

The most frustrating thing is that it’s going to be another window where we’ve hit the champions league and then they refuse to build on it.

Happened under LVG and Mourinho. Now happening under Ole.

I wont be overly disappointed because I don't have great expectancy. I would be happy with Sancho and 1 more.
There has been some excellent recruitment at U23 and U18 level so they wont saturate at senior level. Within the next couple of seasons we will likely see the emergence of players like Mengi, Bernard, Laird, Garner, Levitt, McCann, Puignal, Mejbri, Hoogewerf among others. How many will make it is another thing.

In truth it's arguable whether it's a superstar we need or not. We don't know what budget we have and if we had 18 top quality players and a glaring weakness on the right flank then spending all your budget on sancho is the right thing to do. However we need 3 or 4 players to strengthen the squad so maybe we need to be a bit smarter in the transfer market.

Think the answer is we need both we need a bit more star fire power up top and the depth on the bench.

I think there’s enough in the squad to go again with what we have in goal, defence and midfield but in attack we need to upgrade Lingard & Mata those sub options need to be much stronger so we can rotate without seriously weakening the front line.

For me Sancho plus someone like Brooks from Bournemouth is a good window both can play anywhere in that 3 behind the striker and are good on the wings. Sell a few fringe players to raise cash if and where we can to balance some of the spend.

I beat this drum a lot but this squad is goal shy has been for years we need to get back to hitting 80 plus goals a season in the league every year. If we can get back to scoring 2 or more on a regular basis the fact the defence let 1 in isn’t as big a drama as it is when you’re scoring 0 or 1.

Phil brown on twitter, who seems fairly clued up on United, seems to think it will be an underwhelming window. For about 4 years now we have sort of said this has been a really important window, and pretty much fallen slightly short on most of them. Hope this doesn't happen this window.
I think they'll be lucky if they do more than one deal. Which honestly will majorly set them back. Again.

I wont be overly disappointed because I don't have great expectancy. I would be happy with Sancho and 1 more.
There has been some excellent recruitment at U23 and U18 level so they wont saturate at senior level. Within the next couple of seasons we will likely see the emergence of players like Mengi, Bernard, Laird, Garner, Levitt, McCann, Puignal, Mejbri, Hoogewerf among others. How many will make it is another thing.
That’s the spirit. We have phenomenal potential in our youth ranks. Sure this might be a slow window but I never expected it to be amazing what with the current global situation. Clubs might be willing to sell to get some funds in but the buying clubs may not be willing to spend and it could end up as a bit of a deadlock. I’m not worried in the slightest, I think we’ll end up getting one or two in. We are on an upward rise though and I think our first 11 has unreal potential but we do need to beef up the squad. Ole’s at the wheel. :)

That’s the spirit. We have phenomenal potential in our youth ranks. Sure this might be a slow window but I never expected it to be amazing what with the current global situation. Clubs might be willing to sell to get some funds in but the buying clubs may not be willing to spend and it could end up as a bit of a deadlock. I’m not worried in the slightest, I think we’ll end up getting one or two in. We are on an upward rise though and I think our first 11 has unreal potential but we do need to beef up the squad. Ole’s at the wheel. :)
City have spent. They were already ahead of United comfortably. Chelsea are spending and they weren't far behind. Arsenal have added 1 already and look set to add another in Gabriel and seem to be willing to support Arteta. Liverpool will likely add one or two. United? They'll add one perhaps two if they are lucky but they won't be closing any gaps. They'll be left behind again.

City have spent. They were already ahead of United comfortably. Chelsea are spending and they weren't far behind. Arsenal have added 1 already and look set to add another in Gabriel and seem to be willing to support Arteta. Liverpool will likely add one or two. United? They'll add one perhaps two if they are lucky but they won't be closing any gaps. They'll be left behind again.
Still got to remember, yes we were way behind City in the grand scheme of things but once Bruno arrived we were one of the in form teams in the league. Are City going to buy many more? Maybe one more central defender but think that’ll be it. Liverpool might buy one or two but that’ll just be to beef up the squad. Chelsea have bought but they weren’t able to buy last year so they essentially have a window to make up for. Arsenal are adding players but they were miles behind last year.

Also for most of the season at points we were missing big players, Pogba was out up to lockdown, Rashford spent time on the sidelines and also we lost McTominay when he was bang on form. So to finish 3rd was progress in the grand scheme so am actually optimistic going into the new season even without thinking of new signings.

You sure do get angsty about the fact we aren’t buying anyone yet! Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes, we could pop up and buy a couple in the next two weeks. I think maybe if it hits the start of the season and we haven’t signed anybody then yeah get a little annoyed but right now think we need to chill!

Chelsea have bought but they weren’t able to buy last year so they essentially have a window to make up for.
Chelsea despite not spending last year were still very close to United.

You sure do get angsty about the fact we aren’t buying anyone yet! Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes, we could pop up and buy a couple in the next two weeks. I think maybe if it hits the start of the season and we haven’t signed anybody then yeah get a little annoyed but right now think we need to chill!
Firstly, I'm not angsty about it. Given I'm not a United fan I don't really care if they do or don't sign anyone. I was merely pointing out that if they want to catch up to the top teams and they want to continue to advance they need to invest. Some fans think 2 or 3 players are coming in this summer and that just isn't going to happen. United are going to fall behind.

If Sancho has other Premier League suitors then we have to stump up and get him to stop a rival from strengthening. I have not read anything about other clubs being interested. I wish someone like Liverpool would make an offer so that would light a fire under Ed.

I think we will have a repeat of when we signed Fred: many names bandied around, dozens of available players, tons of possibilities- and then we sign someone from Shaktar whom most had never seen. We have a glaring hole on the right and I fear we will try to plug it with some substandard player, some trier from a lesser league with good stats, maybe even a right sided Memphis.

If Sancho has other Premier League suitors then we have to stump up and get him to stop a rival from strengthening. I have not read anything about other clubs being interested. I wish someone like Liverpool would make an offer so that would light a fire under Ed.

I think we will have a repeat of when we signed Fred: many names bandied around, dozens of available players, tons of possibilities- and then we sign someone from Shaktar whom most had never seen. We have a glaring hole on the right and I fear we will try to plug it with some substandard player, some trier from a lesser league with good stats, maybe even a right sided Memphis.

Sancho will have more attractive suitors next year if we are to believe reports that we will wait a year to sign him.

It's a good thing Fergie's retirement came around when it did. I don't think he would have coped well with the present day and the silly money scenario.
He always looked for value in the market and built teams. It looks like Ole is trying to do the same with some of the young signings he is making to compliment the more established players he has brought in as well as Rashford, Greenwood, McT and Martial should he wish to continue with current form.
Onwards and upwards. Nae bother.

It's a good thing Fergie's retirement came around when it did. I don't think he would have coped well with the present day and the silly money scenario.
He always looked for value in the market and built teams. It looks like Ole is trying to do the same with some of the young signings he is making to compliment the more established players he has brought in as well as Rashford, Greenwood, McT and Martial should he wish to continue with current form.
Onwards and upwards. Nae bother.

Fergie wasn't averse to splashing the cash if he felt it benefited the team. Keane, Ruud, Veron, Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio are some examples that spring to mind.

Fergie wasn't averse to splashing the cash if he felt it benefited the team. Keane, Ruud, Veron, Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio are some examples that spring to mind.
Don't disagree and looking at the players you have listed he had an approx 95% success rate.
But I dont think you can make comparisons to the sort of sums we have splashed for certain players since. And for what? I think it is understandable that Ole and the club may want to show some caution and sign players who want to commit to a longer term plan as opposed to arrive for a payday and a season or two with limited commitment.
I want Sancho as much as the next man, but I will not condemn sound management and have expectancy that the club throw silly money around in the hope it pays off on the short term.
The max United should pay up front for Sancho at the present time is £80m with add on's taking it to a maximum £100m should he be a strong contributor to the desired success. Given that Sancho will move on from Germany even if it is next year should have Dortmund snatching our hand off for that given the present market uncertainty.

Sancho will have more attractive suitors next year if we are to believe reports that we will wait a year to sign him.
And that's why if United want him they need to move this summer. Next year there could be a bidding war and other suitors that he may prefer.

I'm not sure it matters about next year and other clubs in for him. If we haven't got the money then that's it.

Sancho and no other signings or 3 good signing's, assuming our scouts have done their work. I'd go for the three.

I don't think we can categorically say how many we will or won't get. We don't know what budget we are working to or how many players they think we need. We are not party to that sort of decision making and United don't really publicise it.

So just what are United doing? I know it's very early days but other clubs have done business. Chelsea have done 2 deals and look likely to complete 2 more soon. City have completed 2 signings. Just seems in another crucial summer they are lagging behind.
Hold on, I'll just call Ed.... ;)

I see this on Twitter so much, Utd fans impatient with no signings yet. The league is 3 weeks away and the transfer window closes on Oct 5th! I saw one high profile Utd Twitter clown yesterday post that he wont blame Ole for coming 8th next season with no backing or signings. WTF!! Fair enough saying this on the 5th Oct at 11pm if no signing have been made but guys, get a grip. If you know anything about Utd, it's they do things at their own pace and it always takes forever. I think now the CL Final is over things may gather some pace over the next few weeks. One thing Utd usually DO like to do is get the players in for the start of the season.

If we can sign Pogba to a new deal, that would be a great bit of business and shouldn't be under estimated either. That deal will cost a lot.

Wasn't veratti on the bench last night? I'd have a look at him as an upgrade of Fred etc. I think I'd look at Jimenez at wolves too and then it's still the RW problem. But with Jiminez in we could use Greenwood, Rashford or Martial on the right. So start with our 3, if it's not working change it with Jimenez. We need to be careful of not blocking Greenwoods progress.

I see this on Twitter so much, Utd fans impatient with no signings yet.
I think the frustration from United fans is that other clubs seem to be able to do their business early.

The season starts in just under a month so getting players in early is going to be important for clubs.

Chelsea despite not spending last year were still very close to United.

Firstly, I'm not angsty about it. Given I'm not a United fan I don't really care if they do or don't sign anyone. I was merely pointing out that if they want to catch up to the top teams and they want to continue to advance they need to invest. Some fans think 2 or 3 players are coming in this summer and that just isn't going to happen. United are going to fall behind.
My comment was very much tongue in cheek about the angst. There is a United fan in there deep down, you knows it!

You cannot say we won’t sign 2-3 players. It could happen - it may not but you never know. Although I’m not basing this on anything, I believe Bruno was going to be earmarked for a summer transfer but because of our situation that was brought forward. So maybe he was always part of the plan for this summer and then we were going to go for one or two more.

No doubt we have to keep investing and chasing the leading pack, however I would understand why we didn’t pay £100+ million for Sancho. We are not immune to the current situation so like I said I would understand. If we have to go for a £30m Douglas Costa then that’s fine for me, at least it would give us some cover and options. Maybe then go for Sancho next year. Also, I wouldn’t rule us out having a gentlemen’s agreement with the player and club for next year to rubber stamp the transfer.

You cannot say we won’t sign 2-3 players. It could happen - it may not but you never know. Although I’m not basing this on anything, I believe Bruno was going to be earmarked for a summer transfer but because of our situation that was brought forward. So maybe he was always part of the plan for this summer and then we were going to go for one or two more.
I can't say for definite no you're right. But given the usual struggles United seem to have and given the current climate I can say with a high degree of confidence.

For sure we will sign at least one player, without doubt. The whole Sancho situation bores me to tears, if he come he comes.

I think that is the position we are looking to fill at last though, we've needed a player there for years. However, with the emergence of Greenwood I can see the penny pinchers at Utd saying they'll give the boy the position for next year and save themselves a whopping £100m. If that means we buy or loan a Costa/Coman/Dembele type RF then so be it. If we then sign another player like at CB even better.

If I was looking to sponsor a Premiership team, Utd would be right down my list for next year for sure. Liverpool, City and Chelsea for what they have done already in the market alone whould make me think about them, they mean business!!! Fortunately though we are still a massive global brand, which City clearly aren't.

Have Liverpool signed anyone? and City have signed a bournemouth CB. If you're a sponsor, you're first looking at united in the UK. Even when they are awful they are headline news.

There’d be uproar if we signed a 36 yr old on a free transfer!

It's always the same, some get flustered, some not. If we got through Jose as manager and come out the other side there, there's always hope haha

Apart from chelsea, not a lot going on anwhere

I think we need a striker that’s going to bully defenders and is good in the air.

I know it’s not typically used in today’s game but we still get down the wings often and whip in crosses. A last half hour striker when we need something different and through the middle isn’t helping would be useful.
I think mandzukic is available on a free as a short term measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back