Tom Cleverley | Match Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I have heard Clev is out against Galati and sunderland. Its odd how our midfield just seem lacking in creativity and energy without him. On another note I believe that it's a rise and Clev will play on Saturday.

He's been a breathe of fresh air. It's astonishing how quick Cleverley has become an almost important player for us. Says a lot about his progress. Hopefully, he stays injury free!

I like the way that when he makes a pass he immediately gets himself into position to receive the ball again; pass and move! I've not seen any of our midfielders doing that.

Thought we missed a player like Cleverley today, even someone like Anderson. We just lacked penetration which those two, parfticularly Cleverley, bring to the table. Also we found it hard to keep the ball today and against a side like Swansea that's poor. Swansea bossed things in the 2nd half, Barcelona or Real Madrid would never let that happen and that's the standard we should be setting ourselves. We should be bossing these sort of games. Hope Cleverley makes a speedy recovery because we will have a lot tougher games than this and on todays showing we will need him

Swansea bossed City for parts of the game and that was at City. A lot of people aren't giving Swansea enough credit, they're a very good footballing side and they'll outpass a lot of teams this season, however they fail to create enough chances and aren't clinical enough in front of goal. Their defence is very solid too, Ashley Williams was brilliant today.

Swansea had a lot of possession against City but it was mainly in there own half. City created a hatful of chances in that game also - Vorm made a load of top saves. We created nothing today that's what I was worried about. Rooney hasn't been dropping as deep when he plays in that number 10 role as he did towards the end of last season and I feel it leaves the two men in the midfield with an awful lot of work to do.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

SAF: "Tom Cleverley is still nowhere near returning to action... He, to my mind, is the best midfield player in Britain, potentially. He has fantastic promise, so it’s a loss to us."

Well that's bad news. Better not to rush him back however and risk a relapse like we did before.

Could be another of Fergie's bluffs, don't think it is though. High praise from Fergie on Cleverley too afterwards.

Yeah very high praise and there's not many better judges around. He was extremely good when he played this season but I think a lot of fans need to lower their expectations for when he returns, he's still young and inexperienced at the top level and can't be expected to carry our team although I'm sure he'll make a valuable contribution.

Back in full training in 3 weeks according to his twitter, back running in 2 weeks. Should be back for Chelsea and Liverpool games. Probably get a Reserves game in before that.

Great stuff. Him and Carrick are a midfield partnership that could lead us to the title, if they both stay fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that puts Cleverley about 2 weeks away from a return? Possibly Chelsea away or Liverpool at home?

Hopefully he can stay fit and injury free for the rest of the season

It's no coincidence the team lost it's way when he got injured. Can't wait to see him back. His pass completion rate at the start of the season was over 90%.

Fergie says he'll travel with the squad to Chelsea and will probably play for the reserves on Monday. If he comes through that then there's a possibility he might play against Liverpool at home I guess.

Fantastic news. Cleverley has become a world star in his absence so hopefully can fill the billing when he returns. Got high hopes for Cleverley and think he can become the player we need in midfield.

Fergie on Cleverley: “Tom's training well. We were disappointed the Chelsea Reserves game was called off on Monday. But he'll be involved tomorrow.”

Good news. Been waiting for him to make his comeback since the end of October. Let's see if he can continue his early season form and nail down a starting spot.

I'm eager to discuss Cleverley's showing after tonight's match. Hope he can come through unscathed.

Fantastic to have Cleverley back - a good 60 minute run out. His showing was of someone who's been playing week in week out. I don't think he miss-placed a pass?

His quick one touch passing and link up play around the area has been a big miss, thought he did well considering the amount of time out.

Can't remember him losing the ball either, played one cracking pass to Rooney in the first half.

Very promising performance. Looking forward to seeing him play with Welbeck again.

Thought he did well tonight on his come back his passing was a big part of the sustained pressure that got us that first goal.

Just think we need to keep a lid on the expectations for the kid hopefully we'll see the best of him in the closing months of the season but he's made a fantastic start just a shame that thug Davies put him out for 4 months with a shocking tackle.

I agree with what you say, expectations on the kid are huge. He seems to have an old head on young shoulders so hopefully he can cope with expectations.

I disagree over the Davies tackle. The tackle was tough but it wasn't malicious, two footed or studs showing. It was Davies' trailing the leg that caught Cleverley.

I think the loans have done him good over the last 3 seasons he must of played over 50 games where he will of learnt a lot about little movements and the speed of the game in English football. It's a massive step from reserves to first team as you're only really playing against academy players. In the first team even in League One he was playing against seasoned pro's who know all the other little tricks the academy can only give you so much it's on the pitch with the first team where you really learn.

I think it's a problem for young players in general you only have to look at players like O'Shea & Fletcher and even Evans now it can take a lot of games before the talent really shines through and you have to show patience a young player isn't going to be 8/10 every single game like Paul Scholes is.

It was what I'd call an experienced tackle it was a clever way of hurting a player but knowing the ref wont send you off for it as like you said he didn't jump in or go two footed. I personally think Davies saw an opportunity to rough up a young player a bit of welcome to the premier league stuff and made a tackle that he knew he'd get booked for.

Tom Cleverley's return.

It was great to see cleverley return v Ajax. Considering it was first game back in 3 months, he showed what we have been missing.

It was a very good return from Cleverley, though I think he's been less missed given Carrick's and Scholes' form.

I think he's been missed at times, mostly around Christmas when Carrick had to play in defence and we ended up playing Rafael and Park in midfield, and the period straight after his injury where Carrick was unfit and we were playing Fletcher and Anderson in midfield which included the City game. When I saw the teamsheet that day, my optimism went out the window. I was very confident the night before. I don't think this was the main problem though, the big problem that day was Evans getting sent off as up until that point, we were probably edging it despite being a goal down. It was a bit like the Community Shield game really.

Just wondering where his best position lies, when playing 2 in midfield it may be best to play him on the left drifting infield (ala Giggs v Liverpool last w/e) where he is more free of defensive duties and he can have more freedom in attack to link up with Welbeck and Rooney.

45/46 passes the other night apparently. Pick of the passes...

bqckH.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back