Title race

City play Burnley (a), Liverpool (a), Spurs (h), Arsenal (a), West Ham (h) in February.

February will be the defining month in the title race.

The title race starts with 10 games to go and we're still a few months away from that this is still the bit of the season where it's all about being in the race when the hard winter months are over.

I do feel for Utd to win it we need to open up a gap and see our rival fade away I wouldn't fancy this team to try and stick with a team like City and catch them.

Things can change quickly in football an injury to De Bruyne or Fernandes suddenly tips the scales massively again as these players are so important to their respective teams in the same way Van Dijk is to Liverpool.

If Everton win their game in hand they'd actually push Liverpool down to 5th which is crazy to think at this stage of the season.

Hard to see anything but City pulling away now.

Utd have hit the breaks a bit 2 points from 9 going to need a reaction in the coming games to get us back on track

Let's not forget United being top belies our hopes at the start of the season. We're not good enough to win this league yet, but we are competing. It's real improvement

As Carragher keeps pointing out this title is there to be won next season is a new season with new circumstances City might have a quality striker, Liverpool might have a defence etc etc.

There’s a chance here to steal one while rivals aren’t at their best but sadly it feels like we might still be a little bit short of that unless we can back on another winning streak.

As Carragher keeps pointing out this title is there to be won next season is a new season with new circumstances City might have a quality striker, Liverpool might have a defence etc etc.

There’s a chance here to steal one while rivals aren’t at their best but sadly it feels like we might still be a little bit short of that unless we can back on another winning streak.
Spot on jsp, as a fan who lived through the 80's, "next year is ours" attitude can get fked, this is our year but the team are disappearing up their own arse.

I don't know what carragher says, but if he said that then it just reinstates what I think of him. Nob. United will buy too, we are the ones improving year on year. Ole's record after 51 games beats Klopps. We keep Pogba, we are a RW and a forward away from a real challenge.

His point is what if City or Liverpool go back to getting 90+ points again next season will Utd be able to do that next season?

This season you might be able to win the league with 80-90 points.

Today felt like the team played thinking a draw is good enough when it wasn’t it was worth risking the 1 point to get the 3 this wasn’t a game against a direct rival.

Roy Keane was in agreement with him btw.

We didn’t think this would be the situation half way through at the start of the season but the title is there we have to go for it.

I don't see teams going 90+ points regularly. They were freak seasons. We had 3 of the highest every point totals in 2 seasons. It isn't going to be the regular. It'll revert back to 85-90 wins it.

I don't know what carragher says, but if he said that then it just reinstates what I think of him. Nob. United will buy too, we are the ones improving year on year. Ole's record after 51 games beats Klopps. We keep Pogba, we are a RW and a forward away from a real challenge.
I agree on what we need, however, the other teams won't stand still either, they'll be spending to and just to temper our enthusiasm a bit further, Glazers and that c**t Woodward are in charge of our spending.

I think we're far too fragile as a team to be in a title race. Too often we rely on luck and not dominance to get a result. It's why we have such a rollercoaster ride of results.

Top four is our battle and we'll need to keep Bruno fit for that.

I think we're far too fragile as a team to be in a title race. Too often we rely on luck and not dominance to get a result. It's why we have such a rollercoaster ride of results.

Top four is our battle and we'll need to keep Bruno fit for that.
We're a 2 man team essentially, Bruno and Rashford, latterly Pogba has shown up. Not much depth behind them, so an off spell for either and the team dips.

I don't agree the title is there for us this season, our current position is better than we are. You go back to the begining of the season and see where you thought we'd finish. City are by far a better team, even when we were top I knew they'd win the league.
JC is a twat, Liverpool have won the league once and he's chatting like they are a super power, but really they are a one man team. And if Salah does leave then they are in trouble.

United are only good enough for top 4, that's been obvious to me every time I see them. They have never looked strong enough, I would say results have gone our way rather than us winning the game, if that makes sense.

So for Keane and JC to talk about us in a title race is lazy punditry, headline punditry.

We get a RW and a Striker, keep Pogba and we will be as good as those two next year. Maybe a CB too

Against our fellow big six we have zero wins and one goal from six league matches.

Failed to get out of ECL group.

Are we flat track bullies?

I don't agree the title is there for us this season, our current position is better than we are. You go back to the begining of the season and see where you thought we'd finish. City are by far a better team, even when we were top I knew they'd win the league.
JC is a twat, Liverpool have won the league once and he's chatting like they are a super power, but really they are a one man team. And if Salah does leave then they are in trouble.

United are only good enough for top 4, that's been obvious to me every time I see them. They have never looked strong enough, I would say results have gone our way rather than us winning the game, if that makes sense.

So for Keane and JC to talk about us in a title race is lazy punditry, headline punditry.

We get a RW and a Striker, keep Pogba and we will be as good as those two next year. Maybe a CB too
I agree our team has short comings but either way we stand a chance of winning the league this year. Leicester were nowhere near the best squad in the league when they won it, there have been other years where the team that's not the most talented wins it also. We had momentum on our side until the Sheffield United debacle. It is a strange season though so there could be other slumps by Pool and City to come and hopefully we can get back up there.

I don't give Burnley any chance. Man City seem to have a right hex on them. Combined score of the last 10 games is 36-3.

Yeah City aren’t dropping points tonight! Would be surprised if they don’t go on and win 4 or 5.

City are going to take some stopping really getting into their groove after a dodgy start.

At current pace they get to 85 points hard to see anyone else getting to that so are currently on track for 76 points.

We used to have a shhhh thread back when United were in title races so no one mentioned anything too early and cursed it. But 1-0 Brighton. 25 to go.

Think if City beat Liverpool at the weekend the title is gone for them.

Must win game for Liverpool I didn’t watch their game but the way it’s being reported Brighton deserved the win.

Think if City beat Liverpool at the weekend the title is gone for them.

Must win game for Liverpool I didn’t watch their game but the way it’s being reported Brighton deserved the win.
They did mate, Liverpool were shite

If we think we’re seeing strange results now wait until everyone starts playing in Europe Man City will play there strongest side then fly home then travel to an away ground , I hope we play 11 non starters in Europa need to concentrate on the league.

I think they said on the Radio Liverpool had 1 shot on target.

I don't see city throwing this away. But I am getting more confident on our top 4 prospects.

I'm not convinced these european games are even going to happen with all these new variants and vaccination programmes under way I can't see governments being to happy about players and officials flying in and out for the sake of a football match. Heard stories Liverpool might have to play their game vs Leipzig in neutral venues.

There's still plenty of twists and turns to go here but City really are rolling at the moment if they can stretch this winning run out for another 5 or 6 games they won't be caught.

Utd are the obvious challenger to them now and for us to win it we'd need to finish this season in the same sort of form we finished last season where our post lockdown record wasn't far off perfection and we'd have to go to the Etihad and win.

I think you can probably call the top 4 as is.

City, Leciester, Us and Liverpool.

I'm not worried about us not making that at all. Tottenham without Kane are out of the race. Leciester are missing Vardy. Chelsea aren't in any consistant form. West Ham surely wont keep the pace. I'd say Everton probably the biggest danger.

As for the title race. City are the obvious favourites. I'd say they we have about a 20% chance of winning it. Liverpool get a win their this weekend and we get a result against Everton and the gap is three. Goal difference is coming down and we've still got to go to the Etihad.

I hadn't really thought about the Euro games and travelling. You're right, how is that going to happen? France for example has a travel ban, are we saying countries will just let football ignore those and travel. I suppose if they are tested before travelling it will be ok.

I have a friend who travels from the UK to France for work, but he is tested and is a key worker

Bookies Odds as of 04/02 currently:

City 1/7
United 17/2
Liverpool 10/1
Leicester 50/1
Chelsea 150/1

Top 4 Finish.

City - No odds given
United 1/10
Liverpool 1/7
Leicester 10/11
Chelsea 2/1
Tottenham 3/1
Everton 8/1
West Ham 17/2
Villa 10/1
Arsenal 22/1

I hadn't really thought about the Euro games and travelling. You're right, how is that going to happen? France for example has a travel ban, are we saying countries will just let football ignore those and travel. I suppose if they are tested before travelling it will be ok.

I have a friend who travels from the UK to France for work, but he is tested and is a key worker

I would assume they'll all be applying for special dispensation based on them all providing negative tests before and after arrival and being under strict rules while in the host country. People are still allowed to move around europe for work you just need to follow the ever changing rules in each country.

You do wonder if a solution to reduce the aggro is to make all the ties one leg and play semi's/finals on neutral venue this basically halves the movements but would give the home sides a big advantage. Also, reduces the number of games which means refunds to sponsors/TV companies so less prize money.

I guess it will require the governments to play ball in terms of quarantine relaxations and given how frosty things are between EU and UK are at the moment post Brexit you wonder if things might go tits up.

I'd say I'm 90% certain the games go ahead as planned.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back