Time For a New Number 1?

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Hopefully last night was a bit of ring rust but it’s becoming a recurring issue which can’t just be ignored.

Ever since the World Cup De Gea’s form hasn’t been at the standard we’d got used to in the 4 or 5 seasons prior to that.

Shots that he wouldn’t think twice about are now going past him and he’s looking nervous on set pieces again.

Obviously his current contract makes him a difficult player to sell 3 more years with huge wages means we’ve pretty much put all our eggs in his basket.

I’m a huge fan of De Gea carried us through some tough seasons but time waits for no one and if he makes another mistake that costs us a goal we might have to look at giving Henderson a chance.

For me it isn’t time to let him go yet. He’s still a top quality keeper so I’d just wait it out. Get Henderson signed on a 6 yr contract and let him continue to learn the ropes elsewhere.

Henderson is 23 so how long do you wait?

When keepers lose form/confidence do they ever get it back?

This isn’t a bit of a blip this is 2 seasons where he’s making far to many mistakes that lead to goals.

If he finishes strong you probably leave it as it is but a few more errors and we might have to bite the bullet and bring Henderson back to compete with him next season. I think we’d want to have a proper look at Henderson playing for us before totally ditching De Gea.

Yes it's time United sold whilst he'll still demand a decent transfer fee.

They are a club in transition so why not go with the young keeper who already looks so good? He could be the United keeper for years to come so it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

De Gea has been making a number of mistakes like this for a while now and he's simply not the keeper he was before.

Do you think he’d demand a decent transfer fee this summer? I don’t see anyone paying over £30m for him.

Massive wage demands, off the back of two average seasons and Covid.

If utd tried to move him this summer all we’d be offered is loan to buy deals.

Don’t think many top clubs are desperate for a keeper either.

Do you think he’d demand a decent transfer fee this summer? I don’t see anyone paying over £30m for him.

Massive wage demands, off the back of two average seasons and Covid.
£30M is better than nothing? It is better than what they'd likely get for him the following year or the year after that.

The question would be which club are desperate for a keeper?
Does this club have £30m?
Does this club want to make the new keeper their top earner?

All the top sides who have a bit of money seem to be pretty settled with good keepers so I just don't see a market for selling him.

I do wonder if he makes another mistake or two if Ole would drop him for the remaining games? It's a big call to put Romero in but maybe De Gea needs that kick up the backside.

Maybe they need to change up the goalkeeping coaching because whatever he's practising seems to be making him worse.

PSG have Navas they seem pretty happy with him.

Chelsea bit like us are stuck with Kepa.

The way DDG is playing not sure clubs would identify him as a solution to their problem either just one of these things the solution to the De Gea issue is either bring back Henderson and make it a head to head fight or find a way to solve De Gea's problem to get him back to the level he was at 2 years ago.

he seems to be rubbish at the stuff big pete was good at. God knows if he could transition to coaching though. De Gea is great at reactions, anything that involves thinking he seems to struggle.

Is he, not seen that, sounds like thankfully.

he seems to be rubbish at the stuff big pete was good at. God knows if he could transition to coaching though. De Gea is great at reactions, anything that involves thinking he seems to struggle.

Is he, not seen that, sounds like thankfully.
I dont think De Gea would be much good at the break dancing

We actually got rid of his coach. Did this coincide with his drop in form?

Alverez who De Gea was close to left last summer 2019 and Ole got his own goalkeeping coach in.

Alverez joined the club in 2016 when Mourinho took over but the decline had started on his watch.

Could a team like Newcastle be interested? I mean if the takeover happens perhaps they look to make a splash?

I can’t see De Gea ever being willing to go to Newcastle. Even if they got big funds if he leaves it’ll be to go back home. Only way I really see it happening is if someone gives Atletico big money for Oblak.

I can’t see De Gea ever being willing to go to Newcastle. Even if they got big funds if he leaves it’ll be to go back home. Only way I really see it happening is if someone gives Atletico big money for Oblak.
Totally agree with that. The only way I can see him leaving is if he returns to Atletico. Oblak is world class but not sure what big clubs will really fork out for him - maybe Chelsea if Kepa continues to flatter to deceive. Highly doubt De Gea would even consider Newcastle.

Oblak just signed a massive new deal think he's the only keeper currently paid more than DDG.

I don't see him moving inside the PL maybe to a London club but if he did leave it would be to go back to Spain which limits his option to 3 clubs none of them are likely to need a keeper any time soon unless Oblak goes elsewhere.

A bit like the Sanchez situation that contract means he either stays or just goes on loan very unlikely we can actually sell if Henderson came back next season my guess is De Gea would stick around and take on the challenge if he loses the fight he'll leave either on loan or on the cheap.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back