The Problem with Manchester United's Full-Backs

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very long but agree with the principle that we don’t really attack enough down our right side think that’s why Ole wanted Sancho so much to give us a bit better balance. Agree that on the left we have 3 guys who are all good at something but none are the full package and good at everything.

Cavani at CF I think helps our full backs as it gives them someone to aim a cross at our other attackers don’t really look to score from crosses. The ball in doesn’t need to be perfect for him to score as he anticipates the cross way better than our other attackers.

Where I think our full backs are weak is being comfortable on the ball under pressure when we play out from the back and the ball gets to them on either side they look terrified and can’t get rid of it quick enough.

Utd collectively as a team don’t really allow full backs time to get forward by building long passing moves we tend to move quickly and quite a lot of the time when we get the ball to our attackers they lose it. This means as a full back if you risk going forward it’s a long way back.

This isn’t an Ole bash this is where I think there’s a collection of problems he’s not yet solved.

He has no right winger so we can be predictable if you force us to attack from the right we don’t really have a weapon to hurt you. In defence he’s got 2 centre backs that he can’t risk exposing because we all know what happens if we do. Then in midfield his best pairing are his least creative but give the best protection.

We'll have to see what the young lad who joins in January can do, it think it'll help AWB's game if he is effective from the off.

Greenwood could do with more of an attacking wing back to help support his attacking.

Ideally we want a combination of Wing Backs, Iverted Wingers, Full Backs and Wide Wingers.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back