The Departure Lounge Summer 2023

Well he's had his first choice pick for goalkeeper and centre mid. He also got to pick his signings last summer it didn't feel like Casemiro, Martinez and Anthony were second choice options either
Well then we need that dof

Antony looks a mistake, mount seems a huge error, massive error, absolute waste of money, Onana isn't exactly looking brilliant. Casimero looks spent. Maybe we shouldn't be listening to ETH for signings.

It's basics, a dof would mean if it goes wrong the coach changes but not necessarily the whole squad along with him.

This team looks truly awful at the moment.

I know it's a rumour, but verratti, you know I love that player, but he is the last player we need, who's being dropped for him?

Well then we need that dof

Antony looks a mistake, mount seems a huge error, massive error, absolute waste of money, Onana isn't exactly looking brilliant. Casimero looks spent. Maybe we shouldn't be listening to ETH for signings.

It's basics, a dof would mean if it goes wrong the coach changes but not necessarily the whole squad along with him.

This team looks truly awful at the moment.

We have one his name is John Murtough and he was the man who selected ETH to be the manager. First season in I believe we got our second highest points total in a decade and picked up a domestic cup so it's hardly been a disaster but there's still lots to be done.

I think you've got to give Mount and Onana some time before being to harsh on them. To me Onana looks to be everything De Gea wasn't in terms of confidence and a big commanding personality at the back that has been missing.

What has been lacking is a clear culture where from the very top everything is fully focused on success on the pitch which we know isn't demanded at Utd.

You need people who are aligned if they sacked ETH this summer the next man who comes into replace him should see the game the same way so that he can work with these players. That is where we kept going wrong we flip flopped our style of play from one guy to the next which then meant overhauling the squad again that has to stop.

As this is a thread about departures there's still a number of players that I think ETH wants out of his dressing room as soon as possible but sadly because of the wages these players are on this will take time.

Henderson, Bailly, Williams, Maguire, McTominay, Van De Beek, Sancho and Martial are all players that he currently has to work with that I think he knows aren't good enough to play to the levels he wants but until they go he can't bring in replacements.

I put in here because I didn't know where else

If we have a DoF and the overall plan is next manager uses these players, why is ETH picking the players we buy?

The team looks worse than the one that finished last season

Mount might prove us wrong I'm not a fan but can't write him off after two games in a new system. He needs to play deeper and get on the ball more though.
I’m not sure it’s a case of writing him off after 2 games though. He really wasn’t that good at Chelsea for the most part and I’ve never seen why he played so much for England.

I put in here because I didn't know where else

If we have a DoF and the overall plan is next manager uses these players, why is ETH picking the players we buy?

The team looks worse than the one that finished last season

Because no manager at these top clubs is accepting having players imposed on them that they don't want.

These DoF roles tend to exist at clubs who expect a high turnover of players who move on at a profit but that isn't what Utd are or aspire to be. The idea is that the DoF and manager see the same vision of how the team will look and work together along with the scouts and data people to identify the right players for the plan but really it's the manager who has the vision of how that team will look eventually.

I personally feel ETH had hoped to find more pieces within the squad he inherited but he's kind of finding out that this is pretty much a full rebuilding of the squad from scratch and that might take him a few years to complete.

He's pretty much built a starting XI in his image now and hopefully they'll improve as they get used to playing with each other but he needs some players on the bench that he can turn to and slot in without having to change plans on how we play.

As for looking worse than the end of last season you've got a short memory we were dreadful in the last few months of the season and there seems to be a bit of a lingering hangover into this season.

He's pretty much built a starting XI in his image now
Thats a worry then isn't it
As for looking worse than the end of last season you've got a short memory we were dreadful in the last few months of the season and there seems to be a bit of a lingering hangover into this season.
We were poor towards then end, we looked tired.

We've had a pre season. and a transfer window, but look worse.

They need to address this rapidly.

Thats a worry then isn't it

We were poor towards then end, we looked tired.

We've had a pre season. and a transfer window, but look worse.

They need to address this rapidly.

Well he's had 2 games this season without his new centre forward meaning he's having to play his most effective wide player out of position.

If we get 10 games in and we still look all over the place then I'll be worried but for now I say give it a bit of time.

The midfield situation does need working out sounds like Mainoo might have been seen as part of that solution but he's out injured so for now they've got to work it out without him. To me it seems obvious that Mount/Casemiro/Bruno will be a problem if we're going to give the ball away so easily in attack.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be a good move for him with Ipswich flying high in the early part of this season.

Sometimes forget he’s still part of the squad.

Might have a few issues with the fans having spent time on loan at Norwich.

Needs to get himself a move though like you said he's become a bit of a forgotten man at Utd.

These are the 11 players who according to the mirror were up for sale this summer, here we are 1 week left in the window.

De Gea - Gone
Henderson
Williams
Telles - Gone
Bailly
Maguire
Elanga - Gone
Mejbri
Fred - Gone
Van De Beek
Martial

Of those 11 players 4 have gone, I reckon 3 more will leave probably on loan in Henderson, Williams, and VDB and Bailly will go on a free transfer.

De Gea - Gone
Henderson - Gone
Williams - Gone (loan with option to buy)
Telles - Gone
Bailly
Maguire
Elanga - Gone
Mejbri
Fred - Gone
Van De Beek
Martial

Sales generated about £45m and the top earner off the wage bill.

VDB looks to be going on loan

Few rumours that McTominay may leave Fulham interested.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back