Solskjaer on winning trophies

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A trophy this season would of course be nice but I do largely agree with the sentiments.
I was underwhelmed with the LVG and JM trophy wins because I just couldn't see the Man Utd identity and had no sense of us recovering to be one of the major players in world football.
Regardless of our present failings, I see something different now and I like it. I am highly optimistic that we will be back in amongst the elite within a couple of years and i am prepared to wait for that to happen over a flash in the pan trophy win.

The JM ones felt like progress as it was the start but finishing 2nd felt like we were on our way back despite losing the FA Cup final but it quickly unravelled again after that.

If Utd can finish top 4 again with more points than last season I think that’s a more reliable sign of progress than picking up a cup.

That said we can’t keep getting to semi finals and getting beat at some point you do need to deliver not only the cups but also leagues.

I disagree with him. Trophies send out a message that you're winners. He needs to put one in the bag.

I disagree with him. Trophies send out a message that you're winners. He needs to put one in the bag.
Progression in the league and mounting a strong challenge for the title will be a greater guide as to how we are recovering as a top drawer football team over a lucky cup run.
Were not ******* Liverpool you know.

Most of the time, to win a trophy you have to be able to beat the top teams.

You have to be able to cross that line between being a winner and an also-ran, the line that trips up many when it comes to securing victory in crunch ties.

Flukes aside, if you can't win trophies, you haven't got what it takes to win the league.

So yes, winning trophies would be a sign of progress.

Winning trophies is nice, but means nothing unless its the title or CL

How many FA cups did arsenal win while doing nothing else

Progression in the league and mounting a strong challenge for the title will be a greater guide as to how we are recovering as a top drawer football team over a lucky cup run.
Were not ******* Liverpool you know.

I agree that we aren't Liverpool. They've won a champions League title and the league in the last 2 years.

We are more like Tottenham at the moment.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back