Smalling-Jones partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

I only saw score updates and GIFs of the goals from today's game.

How did the two perform as a partnership? How did it compare to the Smalling-Blind partnership?

Their performance was good. Both were physical in their approach. Kept lukaku largely quiet. Blind would have been treated like a rag doll by lukaku. Jones had decent positioning and both helped each other out.

Yeah did well. Smalling tends to boss things aerially so in that respect it's not too much of an issue having someone like Blind beside him, however Jones as a tackler, for interceptions, and reading runs I think is very solid so I like them as a pair. They dealt with Lukaku well as has been said but their distribution was good as well which should hopefully help the case of playing them together going forward rather than Blind.

Thought they were a very solid pair the end of last season so it's a surprise that they haven't been used together so far... Even in Pre Season it seemed a case of one or the other beside Blind (or a left footer in the philosophy).. However, like last season it seems van Gaal has abandoned that part of the philiosohy and hopefully now he sticks to pairing his two best centre back regardless of what foot they kick with. Pity it took a 3-0 drubbing at Arsenal for his opinion to change.

I've always said that Blind at CB should only be used in the home games we absolutely dominate where his passing can be used to good effect.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Manchester United 0-0 Manchester City - 26th October 2015

Solid again yesterday. Hope they keep this form all season.

Why do we think Smalling and Jonea have been switched to LCB and RCB respectively?

I noticed it during the game and seemed an unnecessary tweak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back