Season Review - Full Backs

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So part two of the defensive unit this season are the full backs.

As normal give your mark out of 10 and any comment you want to add.

AWB ~ 7/10. £55m is a big price to pay for a full back but I think he's been great one vs one defender there really is no one better obviously work to be done on his ability going forward but I think it's fair to say he improved as the season went on just needs to look after the ball a little better in possession makes a few to many sloppy passes. Think he dipped a bit after the restart but this is his first long season and he barely got a rest. I'd say pre lockdown 8/10 post lockdown 6/10 so overall I'll give him a 7/10.

Dalot ~ 4/10. Like some of the others in the squad just isn't there when you need him he's to injury prone and I'll be honest never really seen the ability people claim he has. Looks like a dud signing to me. Get fit is my message to him but feels like the message from Ole is get out. Don't ever see him ousting AWB from that starting spot unless there's an injury for his own development he needs to go and play regular football next season.

Shaw ~ 6/10. Think 6/10 sort of sums him up he's an ok defender probably had his best games playing in a back 3 which isn't really his position but it meant he didn't have to do the bit of the game he struggles with which is attacking. He gets into the right positions going forward but his quality is poor not sure he registered a goal or assist this season. Will say in his defence we did miss him when he was injured.

Williams ~ 7/10. Gets a few extra points as it's his break through season but my concern over him not having a left foot remains a problem in the modern game you need your full backs to provide width and good delivery into the box he just doesn't do that. Tenacious little bugger which is likeable in a player but got plenty to improve on if he wants to nail down that starting spot at Utd.

Fosu-Mensah ~ 5/10. Decent cameo at the end of the season so give him a mention but shouldn't be at the club next season.

Young ~ 5/10. Played a few games at the start was clearly done at Utd and was sold to Inter where he's having a bit of a second wind but can honestly say he's not been missed.

AWB - 1st part of season 8/10
AWB - 2nd part of season 4/10

great start to his Utd career but I just don't know what has happened to him. Not even see the spidey tackles much anymore. Maybe he needs a break, it's been a long season. Long term he needs to MASSIVELY improve going forward, he's f**king useless pardon my French. He looks clueless on the ball in the final thrid and his crossing is appalling. Sancho may get very frustrated playing with him. Or it could click well and AWB just plays the cover Sancho needs to work him magic. Guess we need to sign him first to find out.

Shaw - 6/10
Still looks uninterested at times and going forward not good enough, but has started showing signs of what is needed more since lock down but this should be second nature for this guy. It's like he needs coaching but he's 24 or so now and played more than enough games. I said in another post today, we need a better more attacking LB and Shaw to be back up.

Williams 6.5/10
Great breakthrough season but why why why is he a LB? He's right footed and he can't cross with his left so has to cut back. Stick him on the right. I like the way he plays, loves a tackle and getting forward. He'll be a great player if played in the right position in a season or two.

Dalot - who?

TFM - ?

Not played enough

IMO we need a new LB

@Red Warrior think you're being very harsh on AWB post lockdown. I agree last few games he's ran out of steam but he still put in a few good tackles last night it's his positioning where I think he sometimes struggles doesn't really know where to stand when a cross comes in.

I'd sell Dalot try and develop Williams to be a right back and yeah look to sign a starting quality left back one who's got a lot of attacking quality we need one of our full backs to be an attacking outlet.

We saw the spidey tackles again last night, only one or 2 of them(one of which he got very wrong just outside the area) but he looks very unconfident of late, like I said it may be tiredness as he's played a lot of games throug a long season, I'm sure he's played more that he ever did at Palace in a season by far.

Defo sell Dalot
Defo play Williams on the right.
Agreed

Awb has one real problem, his quality going forward. Seemed to be improving before lockdown but seems even worse since lockdown. It has been a good season for him but he will have to improve his quality going forward. At a lower level ethan laird has that quality, it will be interesting to see if he can carry that forward.

Shaw 6
AWB 7
Williams 6

AWB really dropped off at the end. Was at fault for both Seville goals (along with others). Still, a promising start. Williams should be pushing him for the RB slot.

Shaw improved after the break and was getting behind the opposition defence more. Shame he got injured. Really needs a lefty to challenge him for his spot.

Williams has had a good breakthrough, but needs to be on the right.

I see William's as good back up for both full back positions. Not convinced he will ever be first choice even though I love his attitude.

The thing with Shaw is he signed for us in 2014 if you can believe that!!! Granted he had a horror injury but 6 years in and we're still saying he should do this better and that better. Jose had his issues with him as well as LVG, is it times to call it a day and move on to pastures new.

I'd sell Dalot try and develop Williams to be a right back and yeah look to sign a starting quality left back one who's got a lot of attacking quality we need one of our full backs to be an attacking outlet.
Don't you think Williams is too good to be a back up RB though?

Don't you think Williams is too good to be a back up RB though?

Right now I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter in a top side his job next season is to keep improving the weak areas of his game I think he'd be better utilised in the modern game on the right unless he can develop his left foot.

He's still a kid we don't really know how good he's going to be in 12/24 months next season for him is all about getting another 30-40 games under his belt and improving.

I just don't see him being able to survive as a left back long term because he has to keep the width out left when we attack. Defensively being right footed is probably an advantage as attackers come inside on to your strong foot but you need to be able to open the pitch and play down the outside to do that you need a strong left foot.

He's 19 I think, if he is played on the right he could be a hell of a player by the time he is AWB age.

Think next season with 2 games a week pretty much all season we have to rotate the playing squad there's no way we can put AWB in every game.

Dalot seems to be getting frozen out and will be out the door so either the promote Laird and give him some chances or I think they might look to use Williams as cover both sides.

I still find it a bit weird these players earn so much money but can't use both feet. Why don't they practise

Interesting exercise...

Shaw:
Defending 6, Attacking 4

AWB:
Defending 8, Attacking 2

Williams:
Defending 6, Attacking 6 (7 if he had a left foot)

Dalot:
Defending 4, Attacking 4

Massively harsh on AWB.

He didn’t get enough assist but was still 5th in our team for assist and did a better job than most. He isn’t anywhere near as bad at going forward as made out. 4 assist down the right hand side. None down the left. But both rated higher at going forward. I think the fact the left side has had Rashford down it most the season and the right has had James/Mata down it most the season makes it easier to look better going forward down the left. You just run ahead of Rashford and people praise you.

The fact Fernandes topped our assist charts doesn’t look good on the rest of the team though.

I still find it a bit weird these players earn so much money but can't use both feet. Why don't they practise

Can you write to the same standard with both hands?

Not everyone is blessed with the balance to play on both feet it's as much mental as physical as we all have dominant sides when it comes to anything. A top footballers weaker foot is still pretty damn good they just can't land the ball perfect like they can with the stronger foot.

The idea that they don't practise to improve the weaker foot constantly is a massive myth. Being world class on both feet is so rare that it can't just be down to a lack of practise.

Money doesn't matter you can only train so many hours a day once you're a full time professional you should be working full time on every part of your game to be the best you can be as it's your job to do that.

Massively harsh on AWB.

He didn’t get enough assist but was still 5th in our team for assist and did a better job than most. He isn’t anywhere near as bad at going forward as made out. 4 assist down the right hand side. None down the left. But both rated higher at going forward. I think the fact the left side has had Rashford down it most the season and the right has had James/Mata down it most the season makes it easier to look better going forward down the left. You just run ahead of Rashford and people praise you.

The fact Fernandes topped our assist charts doesn’t look good on the rest of the team though.
It looks like you're relying on assists stats. Maybe a better metric would be chances created. Watching AWB I've been impressed with his tackling but when he is on their half I don't recall him ever doing much. He doesn't attack the goal or drive into the box with the ball at his feet. He heads to the bye-line and tries to cross. His crosses are not special. He looks uncomfortable attacking. I don't know when his assists happened or what the circumstances were but he just does not look full of confidence. Even Shaw is a much better attacker, it's just Shaw has for a couple seasons now opted to slow down at the halfway line (or been told to do that).

Ok, maybe a bit harsh. I'll give AWB a 4, and that is at a push as he really looks clueless at times.

Big Chances Created

AWB - 4
Williams/Shaw Combined - 1

Chances Created

AWB - 25
Williams/Shaw - 33 (13/20)

Passes forward

AWB - 641
Williams/Shaw - 525

Crosses

AWB - 103
Williams/Shaw - 50

The one thing I will say of their half amount of crosses their success rate is higher.

Wan Bissaka has mugged off the left full back many times this season. His crossing isn’t amazing but his ability to get in to these positions is excellent. I remember a few great bits of play from him going forward. I think people made their mind up on him at the start of the season and haven’t acknowledged he’s massively improved.

AWB attacking stats this season.

Games 35, Goals 0, Assists 4, big chances created 4.

Obviously compared to the two freaks at Liverpool these numbers are quite poor but they stand up against most other full backs in the prem last season.

We also have no strikers who thrive on crosses so not really much to be gained from chucking in a decent cross as chances are our strikers aren't there to head it in. Think 3 of his assists came post lockdown now 1 was a very generous assist but two were him picking out a striker on a cut back.

Actually went back to look at Valencia as the right back 2017/18 1 assist 1 big chance created, 2016/17 3 assists 3 big chances created, 2015/16 3 assists 1 big chance created.

My point is judged against those two at Liverpool any full backs attacking stats look pathetic what they are doing is off the scales good and AWB has improved a lot through the season next season he needs to improve again and chip in a few goals to would be handy.

In attack, I felt Wan-Bissaka improved as time went on but think he struggled overall recently due to the amount of games he was required to play like many others. A good first season but more needed from him at both ends of the pitch next season.

It was noticable how teams were happy to allow our full backs have the ball at the back end of the season and pack out the middle so they need to improve going forward. Williams isn't naturally left footed but anyone who watched him at youth level knows he is capable of being much more of an attacking threat down the left than he's shown in the first team so far. Just before injury I felt Shaw was beginning to get into better attacking areas, otherwise mostly ineffective at both ends of the pitch without doing much wrong.

In the last few Prem games I actually saw teams targeting AWB and driving everything down his side! Complete contrast to earlier in the season. I'm sure after a good rest he will be back stronger.

He certainly seemed to be the one player teams tried to funnel the ball to and the challenge for him is to improve so he isn’t the vulnerable link in the chain as we play out.

In the final third he seems confident to try and beat his man one vs one and try a cross which is key but he was knackered in those last few games he wasn’t really able to get forward as he knew he couldn’t get back.

It’s an energy zapping position so I think we will see the top teams that like pushing their full backs high rotating a lot next season. That could be where Dalot gets his lifeline at the club to show that he can be a part of the squad moving forward.

Probably one for the transfer rumours but I think any team in the league is taking him is seriously available. Heard he’d rejected a contract. Is that because he wants to play in midfield? Worried his spot has been taken by that supreme youngster they’ve got at full back? Or is this a theme where players currently want out of Bayern?

Probably one for the transfer rumours but I think any team in the league is taking him is seriously available. Heard he’d rejected a contract. Is that because he wants to play in midfield? Worried his spot has been taken by that supreme youngster they’ve got at full back? Or is this a theme where players currently want out of Bayern?
I think he’s wages would be a concern though as he is one of the big earners

Think they're not prepared to pay top wages generally so players getting towards 30 are looking at options and Bayern like everyone are open to offers with Covid. The emergence of Davis makes him sellable. Bayern are happy to pay good money but they're not offering silly money to players think the only player who got mega wages was Lewendowski.

Alaba's best years as a full back are probably behind him he's moved to CB due to injuries and done really well could be exactly what we need a a left footed centre back with bags of speed.

I imagine if he's available then City will go in for him ahead of us and I think they'd get him ahead of us.

Just seen the report be amazed if Bayern offered him that sounds to me like an agent story trying to sniff out interest.

Can't see anyone offering him those sort of wages in the current climate you'd be crazy unless he was on a free transfer which he isn't Bayern will still want 40-50m for him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back