Raphaël Varane | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

As Rio said at 30 your body starts to struggle with the intensity and its happening to Varane.

Been ruled out for a few weeks should return before end of the season.

This means across 3 seasons he will have only started 50% of our league games and in all comps it would be just over 30 games per season.

Much as he`s a good CB his body is starting to creak, he needs replacing it happens to the best of them.

I think this is why they shouldn’t be offering him a new deal, the squad needs to get younger and healthier.

Signing Varane was a good idea at the time but it hasn’t worked out.

Been ruled out for a few weeks should return before end of the season.

This means across 3 seasons he will have only started 50% of our league games and in all comps it would be just over 30 games per season.
How are others defenders stats for that?

Also. he was fit for a large portion at the begininng/middle of the season but wasn't picked to play, which skews those stats.

How are others defenders stats for that?

Also. he was fit for a large portion at the begininng/middle of the season but wasn't picked to play, which skews those stats.

Probably not great either this season and I agree there was a few games this season where Varane was fit but wasn't selected but it doesn't excuse the fact he misses to many games.

Martinez played 45 games in all comps last season this season 11 due to injury.

Maguire in his first 3 seasons when he was a first choice starter. 55, 52, 37 games.

Just because everyone else has injury problems doesn't excuse Varane's he's on big wages we need to be getting 50 games a season out of our top earners and he can't do it.

He's about to turn 31 it's unlikely these injuries are going to go away I just think it's time to move on and bring in a younger partner for Martinez who will hopefully be over his injuries next season.

I have no problem saying Varanes is on too much money, not good enough, past his prime etc.

What really gets on my tits is people saying he's always injured when most of our defence is always injured.

The only ones without suspect injury is Maguire and Dalot

Shaw, Varane, AWB, Malacia, Lindelof, Martinez all have too much time out injured

When Varane is fit he plays (apart from a few weeks earlier in the season) and Utd are playing on average 50 games a season so out of 150 games in 3 seasons he's going to play less that 100 games for Utd. So he's missing roughly 1/3 of every season due to injury. Guys that miss that many games shouldn't be getting new contracts.

Malacia/Martinez to me sit outside this argument because they've had 1 injury that's caused them to miss basically a whole season I don't think you can really call them injury prone.

The others I 100% agree and it's why Utd need to think about changing them all if you want to compete for the titles you need your main guys to be capable of playing 50 games a season.

Malacia/Martinez to me sit outside this argument because they've had 1 injury that's caused them to miss basically a whole season I don't think you can really call them injury prone.
why does that mean leave them out? 50% of their time at the club they have been injured. It's not good enough

How is loads of little injuries any different in calculating time out than one big injury?

Probably, this season, Varane has been available more than most of our CB/defenders

why does that mean leave them out? 50% of their time at the club they have been injured. It's not good enough

How is loads of little injuries any different in calculating time out than one big injury?

Probably, this season, Varane has been available more than most of our CB/defenders

Because 1 bad injury you can put down to bad luck recurring injuries are a sign your body is giving up on you and you'll keep getting them.

Varane has been in the squad 35 times, Evans 32 times, Maguire 30, Lindelof 30. If it was possible I'd let 3 of these guys leaves this summer as the injuries are a massive problem.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back