Premier League: Leeds vs Man Utd Sun 25th Apr 14:00 KO

jsp

Crazy after the week we've just had that there's almost zero talk of Man Utd's first league visit to Elland road in over 15 years.

Had fans been able to attend this game would have been a nightmare for police probably kick off moved to 9am on a Wednesday to avoid trouble.

Safe to say the two sets of fans hate each other not sure how easily that will transfer to the players on the pitch.

The game at Old Trafford was a truely bonkers game of football Utd winning 6-2 but somehow feeling at times like we were on the ropes as Leeds just kept raiding forward it's not out of the question to say that game could have been 10-5.

Leeds will be without their captain Cooper who is suspended and could be without Raffina who missed the last game with an injury.

For Utd it's Martial out with Rashford's fitness to be decided on the day but I think Eric Bailly is now back following his Covid isolation so could be in contention.

Utd having had their first midweek rest of the season should be fresh and will be preparing special weapon Dan James for his super secret important job is just running loads for this one no doubt. In midweek we have a very important game against Roma so Ole will potentially make a few changes.

Predicted XI

Henderson

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw

McTominay Fred

James Bruno Pogba

Greenwood

That is my guess he'll likely rest Cavani/Rashford for midweek against Roma and only bring them on if he has to but this game isn't really must win in terms of league position given our 11 point lead over the team in 5th but he'll want a win to keep the momentum going.

Given everything that has happened this week what sort of mood will our players be in they were sold out by the owners/execs will they be motivated to show up for the fans or will they be feeling a bit annoyed at how the whole thing went.

What I'd love to see is them join the Leeds players and wear the T shirts before the game a proper united front from the players sticking 2 fingers up at the super league.

They'll be right up for this one and sadly I can see our unbeaten away run ending this week.

I think Leeds will gives us a real scare, it should be a great game - but we will win. Leeds is not afraid to play their own way and will have plenty of the ball and will attack. We can expect some counter-attack opportunities but if we sit back, they will do us.

I haven't been following team news but I would hope Ole puts DeGea back in goal. I think DeGea is far superior, especially after Henderson's madness last match. Also don't want Bailly in the team, don't think James should be starting this one, and would put Cavani up top. Functionally I'd like us to be a 433 when in possession and a 4231 when recovering the ball. I know it leaves us vulnerable in the middle but I would prefer us on the front foot and going for it than to suffer with a double pivot.

with the ball:
--------------------DeGea-------------------
AWB------Lindelof-----Maguire------Shaw
McTominay-------Bruno-----------Pogba
Greenwood-------Cavani--------Rashford

without the ball:
--------------------DeGea------------------
AWB------Lindelof-----Maguire------Shaw
-------------McTominay----Pogba-------
Greenwood--------Bruno-------Rashford
-----------------Cavani--------------------

He’s got a big call to make with the keeper but having made the big call you can’t go back at the first sign of deal doubt. A young keeper will make mistakes De Gea made plenty but if you drop him for 1 dodgy game you risk killing his confidence.

The only way you beat Leeds is by beating them at their own game you go toe to toe man for man like we did in the last game which is why I think James will start. He was brilliant last time we played them and they genuinely fear him.

No disrespect to James (or you) but I've genuinely never heard/read anyone saying anyone feared James.

Henderson has looked dodgy in every start, imo. DeGea is far superior and needs to come back in.

Leeds play an intense running game James is a player they tried to buy to play their style and his style perfectly suits this game he will be able to attack the gaps they leave but also track their full backs when they raid forward.

I’m not a James fan but I think he’s made for playing against Leeds and given the games we have coming we have to utilise the squad so I’d chuck him in for this one as we probably need Rashford to start the next 3 in a row.

I’d say De Gea is still a better keeper but he’s had another poor season and we need to move on from him sadly so Ole is right to bench him. I’d personally have Henderson starting all games to the end of the season but he’s. Far from the finished product.

15 years since we last played there? Good lord, how time flies. I know the emotions of their match vs Liverpool are going to be much different than this one, but Leeds ran around a lot without doing much in that one. If Raphinha doesn't play, they don't have the same edge, which would be nice considering he set up both their goals in the first match.

I worry about Fred in this one, unless we can play back to front quickly like we did in the first match, I think they're going to target Fred (and AWB) and try and win the ball back up high, which will cause problems for Maguire/Lindelof. Think Henderson starts this as Ole isn't going to drop him over one bad match.

No Pogba, how can you pick Fred and Mctom over Pogba FFS.

I can only assume the club know he's definitely off.

Perhaps Ole is planning to catch Leeds out by bringing Pobga on for Fred in the second minute? Strange one if he hasn't picked up a knock.

No Pogba, how can you pick Fred and Mctom over Pogba FFS.

I can only assume the club know he's definitely off.
I think he’s just rested to be honest. Don’t think it’s any reflection of if he will be off in the summer. The Roma game is more important than this one, we have pretty much assured top four and we aren’t chasing City down. Think it’s a fair decision to give him a rest and James had a very good game against them at OT.

Resting Pogba for Roma and probably knows his style could get caught out by Leeds as he like to take time on the ball that Leeds don’t give you.

3 big games coming up so if he needs a rest then give it to him.

Pretty dull half of football.

Lovely hit from Rashford on that free kick and a good save.

Shame Maguire can’t direct attacking headers wins so many and doesn’t hit the target anywhere near enough.

It’s giving off a late season game vibe when it doesn’t really matter what happens in truth. Obviously we haven’t guaranteed top four but we aren’t messing it up.

Boring game and we have had a distinct lack of quality. Cavani and Pogba to come on at some point and we need their quality.

Just said on Sky that it’s 5 games in a row where United have failed to score in the first half.

Both sides look very leggy and slow not the usual zip and speed to either sides play.

Might need the subs to freshen things up.

James and Rashford have been poor so far you would assume they will the players most likely to get hooked.

The ref didn’t even bother playing the full 4 minutes of added time.

Poor game of football very end of season nothing left to play for feel to it.

Even at the end it looked like the ball would roll out of play, and it tried to keep itself in to ensure no further delay.

We were the better side Bruno missed a big chance but it was all a bit niggly not a lot of football being played.

Pitch looked very slow.

Thought Greenwood was our only real bright spark another good performance from him.

Obviously smashing this lot again would’ve been fantastic, but in the grand scheme of the season it won’t matter and in the week ahead, it was the least important fixture of the three, so I’m not going to get worked up about it.

We saw the best and worst of Dan James today. Ran a lot, put himself about and did the thankless pressing but when he got involved in the attacking third, he made a hash of everything.

I think AWBs improvement on the ball showed today (by his relatively low standards), but he takes so much time on the ball that any attacking impetus gets lost. Maybe I should stop expecting more from him, but I can’t help myself.

I enjoyed the match. I'm surprised people think it was dull. We looked like a team with a plan and we had some great attacking play.

Our forwards just couldn't pull the trigger in time which is a function of being afraid to shoot from distance. I think we should be crossing the ball a lot sooner. We usually wait until we are past the 18 yard box and then cross, but if Shaw / AWB were to cross the ball 5 yards further up the pitch it would keep them on their heels instead of having to pull the ball back and hope for a late runner.

Subs were way too late. I think Pogba and Cavani should have started.

Few of our players have all the tools required: James - the world's fastest puppy - tries hard, but lacks quality; Fred is a tireless ball-winner but can't pass or shoot; Maguire is a great defensive header of the ball but is slow; Lindelof is great at long passes but hates heading the ball and gets out-muscled; Henderson patrols his box but flaps and takes the sting out of shots and then catches (although he didn't do that today); DeGea us an unreal shot-stopper but doesn't like coming off his line; McTominay is a pure athlete and can shoot but has no finesse, etc.

Not sure what's going on with Greenwood and his 1v1s but they have absolutely sussed him out. Rashford is carrying an injury. His whole movement and play shows he is in a lot of pain, and I bet we find out at the end of the season that he is getting pain killer injections before matches.

I think we are really 1 or 2 players away from being a serious contender. A right-sided attacker is a mandatory signing this summer. Imagine James' speed matched with Bruno's vision or Pogba's touch. Then we need an upgrade on Fred, like a Grealish type of player (even though Grealish plays a different role). Greenwood and Rashford can continue to develop and make a claim for the CF role, as Cavani is off in the summer, so I'd prioritize the other two (right side, center mid).

No disrespect to James (or you) but I've genuinely never heard/read anyone saying anyone feared James.

Henderson has looked dodgy in every start, imo. DeGea is far superior and needs to come back in.
On that point, I find it hard to pay any credence, show any respect to a Premier League or even a Championship manager, who can possibly pick James in his starting 11. Over 2 years now he has produced absolutely nothing for Utd. I would even prefer DVdB on the right wing. Not his natural position but I'm sure he would be far more beneficial to the team. To put it bluntly James, being brushed off the ball like a schoolboy any time he is in possession, is not a good football player. In fact, that is probably being complimentary to him. Worst I've ever seen in a Utd jersey !

Leeds play an intense running game James is a player they tried to buy to play their style and his style perfectly suits this game he will be able to attack the gaps they leave but also track their full backs when they raid forward.

I’m not a James fan but I think he’s made for playing against Leeds and given the games we have coming we have to utilise the squad so I’d chuck him in for this one as we probably need Rashford to start the next 3 in a row.

I’d say De Gea is still a better keeper but he’s had another poor season and we need to move on from him sadly so Ole is right to bench him. I’d personally have Henderson starting all games to the end of the season but he’s. Far from the finished product.
We can't be watching the same DJ. Total embarrassment to the Utd shirt.

It’s giving off a late season game vibe when it doesn’t really matter what happens in truth. Obviously we haven’t guaranteed top four but we aren’t messing it up.

Boring game and we have had a distinct lack of quality. Cavani and Pogba to come on at some point and we need their quality.
Finishing 2nd top is far more advantageous than 3rd or 4th regarding qualifiers next season.

I enjoyed the match. I'm surprised people think it was dull. We looked like a team with a plan and we had some great attacking play.

Our forwards just couldn't pull the trigger in time which is a function of being afraid to shoot from distance. I think we should be crossing the ball a lot sooner. We usually wait until we are past the 18 yard box and then cross, but if Shaw / AWB were to cross the ball 5 yards further up the pitch it would keep them on their heels instead of having to pull the ball back and hope for a late runner.

Subs were way too late. I think Pogba and Cavani should have started.

Few of our players have all the tools required: James - the world's fastest puppy - tries hard, but lacks quality; Fred is a tireless ball-winner but can't pass or shoot; Maguire is a great defensive header of the ball but is slow; Lindelof is great at long passes but hates heading the ball and gets out-muscled; Henderson patrols his box but flaps and takes the sting out of shots and then catches (although he didn't do that today); DeGea us an unreal shot-stopper but doesn't like coming off his line; McTominay is a pure athlete and can shoot but has no finesse, etc.

Not sure what's going on with Greenwood and his 1v1s but they have absolutely sussed him out. Rashford is carrying an injury. His whole movement and play shows he is in a lot of pain, and I bet we find out at the end of the season that he is getting pain killer injections before matches.

I think we are really 1 or 2 players away from being a serious contender. A right-sided attacker is a mandatory signing this summer. Imagine James' speed matched with Bruno's vision or Pogba's touch. Then we need an upgrade on Fred, like a Grealish type of player (even though Grealish plays a different role). Greenwood and Rashford can continue to develop and make a claim for the CF role, as Cavani is off in the summer, so I'd prioritize the other two (right side, center mid).
We must have been watching a different game!

We can't be watching the same DJ. Total embarrassment to the Utd shirt.

Easy to single him out mate but yesterday there were plenty of stinkers thrown in by our players James was no worse on the day than Bruno or Rashford.

I don't think Dan James should be playing for Man Utd but he's what the manager currently has to work with and starting him yesterday against a mid table side made sense allowed him to rest Pogba/Cavani ahead of the important games coming up. I wouldn't rule out him starting vs the Scousers at the wekeend as Ole needs to protect his players for the european ties.

I guess I can forgive Dan James because the lad is clearly trying works his nuts off even when it isn't going well just doesn't have the talent sadly for our level.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back