Premier League 2021/22: Chelsea Vs Man Utd ~ Sun 28th 4.30pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Chelsea away has always been a tough game for us even in good times but these are not good times for us.

Chelsea are top of the league and absolutely flying 12 points clear of us after only 12 games and more worryingly for us they've only let in 4 league goals all season think I heard someone say only one of those was in open play. For them they are missing a few players Chilwell and Kovacic are out and there's doubts over Kante and Havertz but Lukaku is fit again for them so we know he'll be buzzing to play against us.

For Utd we are without Varane and Pogba due to injury and Maguire is suspended. Shaw will also be a doubt after his knock to the head last saturday, Cavani still has this tendon problem in his knee and I'm not sure if Greenwood is out of his Covid isolation. So Carrick's got a bit of an injury headache to deal with going into what will likely be his final game as the interim.

We know Chelsea will line up with the 3-4-3 system they are so well drilled in it now and the danger men really are the wing backs Reece James is in unreal form as was Chilwell before his injury but we know Alonso is also very good going forward. So the question for Utd is do they try to match it and with 2 centre backs out can they match it? If Shaw is fit you could put him into the left side of a back 3 and play Telles if he isn't you're a bit snookered unless you are going for the real ballsy move of sticking Sir Phil Jones in for his first game in 2 years.

My gut says he'll stick with that narrow 4-4-2 system he played invite Chelsea on and look to hit on the break.

DDG

AWB Bailly Lindelof Telles

Sancho Matic Fred VDB

Bruno Ronaldo

Not sure he'll like the role but I think VDB needs to try and force James back and look to get into that space that James leaves. I wonder if he might even play Fred on the left on midfield to try and man mark James.

Hard to see us coming away from this one with anything a loss here could leave us 9 points off 4th spot which is going to be a hell of a task to claw back.

I'd be tempted to start Rashford on the left. Use the pace of Rashford and Sancho and the ball over the top to make the Chelsea fullbacks weary of pressing too high.

Yeah but who's hitting those passes from deep in the pitch? Lindelof is the only one you'd fancy being able to drop one over the top and I don't see him doing it under pressure.

Would be the perfect game to have Cavani up with Ronaldo as Cavani gives you a centre forward that can bully the opponents defence a bit I just don't think our other options really have that nasty streak in them they're all a bit to nice. Ronaldo isn't really a guy who will hold up the ball either never been part of his game. We saw vs Spurs the difference Cavani can make to this side just a shame he's so brittle.

It's going to be a tough game but it needs the players to be on their toes from the start and fully switched on this Chelsea side are really good if you switch off for a second they'll punish you this is one of those games where you need to stand up and be counted. The injuries in the squad mean players who don't always play will be getting a chance so they need to take them.

I feel like Chelsea generally get the better of us. No idea if it's true just a feeling,based on grief from Chelsea supporting friends.

Aren't we unbeaten in our last 4 there?

Think the very recent record has been good think we won twice there under Ole League Cup and League when Lampard was in charge assume the other matches were draws and we got a bit of a battering off them in the cup semi final a few seasons back. Was last season a 0-0 draw?

It's more I'd say in the last decade I'd say there's been a lot more defeats than victories when we've rocked up at Chelsea.

We won there in the last Fergie season and we won a game under Ole but outside of that I'm struggling to remember to many wins in the league at the Bridge in recent history. Just one of those fixtures where generally the home team wins they rarely beat us at Old Trafford and we rarely beat them at the Bridge.

Just checked. We've lost one or our last 9 against them and unbeaten in 5 at Stamford Bridge.

(Won 4. Drawn 4. Lost 1)

Fair enough must be in my head but lets be honest if Chelsea are at their best on Sunday we are in big trouble. Think that 4-0 beating we took in Mourinho's first season sticks in my head the one where we condeded after about 10 seconds they stuck Pedro in behind straight from kick off.

9 wins 2 draws and 1 defeat this season for them scored 30 let in 4.

The defeat against City they got a bit of a hammering if we're honest they were absolutely dominated by City just couldn't get the ball off them, against Burnley they battered them just didn't take their chances on the day and Liverpool played 45 minutes with 10 men at Anfield and still got a draw.

They've brushed aside Leicester and Juventus in the last 2 games so not really something I'm looking forward to but you never know in football there's plenty of good players in our squad and we probably need the luck to go our way and who knows.

Carrick confirms Fred is a doubt for Sunday he twisted his ankle against Villareal but played on to the end and Shaw remains a doubt due to the concussion protocol I would guess he needs to pass a test on Sunday morning as you are limited to non contact training for 7 days after a head injury these days.

Cavani wasn't discussed so I'd assume that means he's out.

Chelsea have won 4 of their last 5, and drawn the other one. Tuchel is not going to show mercy. We are losing this one, and hopefully Carrick figures out a way to keep the score down.

I know we need to win, but it's basically a free hit for Carrick, and i'd love to see him mix it and really go at them from the off. No mercy.

Henderson
AWB Bailly Lindelof Elanga
Lingard McTom Fred
Amad Rashford Sancho​

I know we need to win, but it's basically a free hit for Carrick, and i'd love to see him mix it and really go at them from the off. No mercy.

Henderson
Lingard McTom Fred
Amad Rashford Sancho​
So you want to go to the home of the in- form team and deserved league leaders with two inexperienced academy lads whilst dropping our two most effective performers?

So you want to go to the home of the in- form team and deserved league leaders with two inexperienced academy lads whilst dropping our two most effective performers?

Yep, time to unleash the Gengenpress.

When did Elanga become a left back?

Sancho back on the left?

Rashford at centre forward?

Dropping our in form keeper for a lad that’s played 1 game?

That line up is mad.

Henderson
Lingard McTom Fred
Amad Rashford Sancho​
Go home, you’re drunk.

If Shaw is fit he plays.

De Gea

AWB Lindelof Bailly Shaw

Donny Fred

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Ronaldo

When did Elanga become a left back?

Sancho back on the left?

Rashford at centre forward?

Dropping our in form keeper for a lad that’s played 1 game?

That line up is mad.

• Elanga plays wide on the left for the 19s and 23s but his last appearance for United as a sub in Europe he played at yep you've guessed it left back, and he didn't look out of place, and he'd be up against Reece James who will be their main threat today and he's the one player that's got the pace to match him, and the skill at pace to worry him going the other way. I like Telles technically but he ain't got the pace.
  • Sancho's best performances for Dortmund were all on the left, and a right footer on the left and a left footer(Amad)on the right isn't exactly ground-breaking, i'm sure it's been done before!
  • Rashford has played many a time for United and England as a centre forward, and he's got the pace to worry their back-line centrally and with Cavani missing he's the best we've got to not give their back three a minutes peace.
  • Is he in form? He might be playing better than the previous 2 seasons but he'd struggle to play worse. Look back over the 19 goals we've conceded over the last 8 games and tell me you wouldn't expect a competent top ranked keeper to stop at least 4 or 5 of them. And that's before you think about his refusal to come off his line and dominate 'his' goal area and below average ability on the ball.
  • Nah that line up is beautifully balanced with the flexibility to switch seamlessly to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 at the drop of a hat with Lingard and Elanga becoming the wingbacks, Terry Venables says Hi.

If Shaw is fit he plays
If Carrick goes 4 at the back yeah. If he goes 5 he may go with Telles though? Telles offers more going forwards I think. Gives them a nice balance with AWB being limited going forwards.

Matic in a back three, so many permutations, who'd be a Manager!?

Winner from Ronaldo off the bench anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Only a rumour but hearing one of Rangnick's assistants at Lokomotiv Moscow has hacked VAR

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back