Pogba to leave?

Check Ronaldo's stats in 2007/08 compared to 2008/09 he moaned and sulked all through that final season lets not re-write history on that one.

Pogba will have another good run towards the end of the season it's just how he is there is no consistency with a player like him never has been and never will be but as I keep saying his dips in form are often highlighted by overall dips in team performance. The entire team has dropped off recently the injuries and suspensions have unsettled us we need that ruthless edge back in front of goal.

There's major uncertainty over the playing squad at the moment so many futures not resolved but Pogba is one where Utd have control and my guess is unless Madrid are prepared to go really big he's going nowhere. The record currently is £200m for Neymar, Coutinho was £150m my guess is Utd will want somewhere between those two figures to seriously consider the sale.

For all Pogba's problems this season my guess is he's on for his best ever season in terms of goals and assists and that's despite missing a few penalties.

It feels like we are at the 50/50 point with him it's either new contract, probably made captain and put at the centre of everything by Utd or told he has to do 1 more year and then they'll let him go in 2020. Given all the work that needs doing this summer plus it being Ole's first summer I don't see how they can let the biggest name at the club go.

I think this one has a sense of inevitability about it. He's going to end up leaving whether it's this summer or next. I almost feel like actually we'd be better off just selling him this summer whilst we are majorly rebuilding.

I would want to keep Pogba going forward, but once a players head is turned, thats that.

None of us 100% know if his head has been turned, only time will tell, but we can hopefully keep hold of him - my only worry has been his recent performances.

Every ones form can be up and down, but the Madrid rumours and dip in form coming at the same time isn't a good omen

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you were Pogba would you stay?

I mean he must look at the other players sometimes and think the level here is so low and he knows fans are split down the middle on him.

If he’s got the chance to get out I don’t blame him for taking it but it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire because that Madrid squad has some serious problems to and the fans there will have no patience with him if he performs the way he does sometimes for Utd.

I mean he must look at the other players sometimes and think the level here is so low and he knows fans are split down the middle on him.

If he’s got the chance to get out I don’t blame him for taking it but it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire because that Madrid squad has some serious problems to and the fans there will have no patience with him if he performs the way he does sometimes for Utd.

Pogba and Sanchez are clear examples of the board trying to fool fans into falsely thinking we can still compete with City and Liverpool, we simply don't have the infrastructure. Astronomic fees and/or salary paid to demonstrate how we can flex our financial muscle has only increased the disharmony within the squad. Would we have signed Pogba had Raiola not been satisfied at his cut of the transfer? History tells us he likes to move his clients around. Sanchez - not matter how good he is, not even Messi or Ronnie deserve that salary - obscene.

United can compete with City and most definitely Liverpool. United have the second biggest wage bill.

United can compete with City and most definitely Liverpool. United have the second biggest wage bill.
Does that not reflect the reality that we only get players if we pay more than other clubs, it's not that they particularly want to play for us?

What! He looks around at the other players and then decides he can't be arsed to play, that in itself says he is not worthy of the shirt.

What! He looks around at the other players and then decides he can't be arsed to play, that in itself says he is not worthy of the shirt.

Lets not pretend like he was the only one half arsing it on Sunday.

The rest of the midfield and front 3 were an absolute disgrace and Pogba still created some chances and was not at fault on any of the goals conceded despite playing poorly.

My point was more looking at the ability of his team mates constantly giving the ball away when put under any pressure, not controlling basic passes and not being able to execute basic passes and think what the hell am I doing here.

Not saying it's right but when he came he must have thought Utd were going to become a serious player again they had Mourinho they also got in some other big names but it just hasn't worked. He is part of that but I do think he must be at the point where he's thinking for the sake of his career he needs to get out again there are much better teams out there right now if I was him I'd be thinking of getting out unless he really likes living in Manchester.

You posed the question, can you blame him when he looks at the players around him.

Yes I can. It doesn't matter what is around him, he should perform to the best of his ability in every game. Maradona won Serie A pretty much on his own.

There is no excuse for not trying, and far too often Pogba does not try. I'd sell him, but I doubt anyone would want him on those wages.

And if the rumours are true, he didn't think that when he came, he was using the club as a stepping stone.

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he thinks Paul Pogba will still be at the club next season - but cannot guarantee it.

The 26-year-old France midfielder - who is contracted until July 2021 - has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

He has scored 24 goals in 83 league appearances for United since rejoining from Juventus in 2016 and was named in the PFA Team of the Year on Thursday.

"I think he will be here next season," said Solskjaer.

"Paul has done fantastic for us. We want him to do well. He is a leader in the dressing room.

"If I could guarantee I would say yes. You can't guarantee but I think he will be."

Reading between the lines on that sounds like he wants him to stay but the player wants to go.

I don't think it's been that well hidden to be honest the reports about him wanting out started last summer I think he was done with the club/Mourinho at that point but Utd wouldn't sell. He's done one more year but it's clear he's not happy at Utd and if they can get a decent chunk of money in let him go I think the majority of the stuff written about him is nonsense by people who just don't like him because he's a bit flash.

Latest reports from Spain are that wages might be an issue.

Pogba's Utd deal is reported to be worth around £15m a year Madrid have told his agent they are only prepared to pay £10m a year salary.

Now this could be a translation thing because some countries report salary as gross (before tax) and others report it as net (after tax) but Pogba isn't going to take a pay cut to leave is he.

Dunno can't think of many players who've ever taken pay cuts certainly not in their prime years Pogba is 26 this is peak earning years he's not going to walk away from £15m over the next 3 years in earnings just to go to Madrid.

Just let him go. He's poison in that locker room, not the only one I'm sure, and he doesn't produce consistently enough on the field. Take the money from him now.

Given the choice right now, I think Pogba leaves, I honestly dont think he will worry too much about a potential wage cut, he's still set to earn shit loads of money lets be honest.

I think the draw of the champions league will tempt him and he isn't the sort of player to stick around for the rebuild, as thats what we are going to be doing next year, complete rebuild from the ground up.

Whether Madrid want him remains to be seen, from a neutral point, has he done enough to warrant the interest ?

Maybe I am getting soft in my old age because I have some sympathy for pogba. I am a not sure if he is poison in the dressing room or noe, I am not in it. What I do know is he is our leading goalscorer and leads the assists as well. He already shoulders the burden of being our only really creative player and then he has to be the chief grafter too. Of course 100% effort is a minimum requirement but personally I don't see a great lack of effort from him.

I said when things were very ugly earlier in the season Mourinho had to go now and Pogba had 6 months to show why he should stay because he needed to go to we can't have our key players deciding when he wants to play and when he doesn't. This team isn't good enough to have a player like Pogba in it because you do have to indulge some parts of his game right now he's to big a distraction for this team the world doesn't revolve around Pogba.

@boothstownred I couldn't agree more he's expected to be superman because he's surrounded by bang average players he's not only expected to be the best player he's expected to work harder than everyone else. Pogba is an attacking midfield player who's being judged as if he was Roy Keane.

Someone summed it up in a podcast signing Pogba was signing the final piece of a puzzle before you purchased all the other pieces.

He's getting hammered vs Huddersfield again but he wasn't at fault for the goal we let in and he hit the bar twice which is more than anyone else did to try and force a second goal.

It really is for the best if he goes but if he does we are in serious trouble this team lacks creativity in midfield and up front if Pogba goes Utd need to buy some serious quality in wide areas.

@jsp and @boothstownred - I agree with most of what you have said, my post above was simply stating how I think Paul will feel about a move going forward, as I dont think he will fancy sticking around for a few seasons with virtually no hope of winning anything.

I agree with the fact that he is the technically best player we have and yes I agree that if he goes then we have another massive hole we need to fill, his desire to chase and win the ball just pisses me off at times.

Its clear that in a better side he plays better, his performance levels for France are better than United, you could argue that his average ratings in games this year havent been great, I know its hard to perform well with some of the shite surrounding you ofcourse.

I dont think Madrid will want to pay £150 mill and we wont sell for much less, so I think we will have Pogba next year, probably sulking most the time, but I dont see a simpler resolution im afraid.

Take the money out of it he won't earn more at Madrid than he currently does at Utd.

Purely on a football decision Pogba should be forcing his way out of this club whether he is as good as he thinks he is or isn't he should be surrounded by better players. He came back to Utd because he expected a team/squad to be assembled that could challenge for the top titles that was the promise that hasn't happened.

It was obvious he wanted out last summer when the relationship with Mourinho had broken down he was forced to stay but it's obvious he still sees his future elsewhere.

Every player should be trying to leave this summer. All of them should be rats from a sinking ship top players wouldn't hang around at a club that's just finished 6th they'd all be into their agents telling them get me out of here.

Loyalty is a word that doesn't belong in football anymore it is long gone every player out there is a hired gun they go where the glory and the money is that is the way the game is now and there's no glory to be had at Utd so anyone who's sticking around is doing so because they are in it for the money not the glory.

I have no sympathy for Pogba. He is the epitome of what is wrong with our club. For me, to say he needs better players, it's not his fault is laughable. There is no excuse for lack of effort.

If Woodward doesn't sell that player this summer he is just proving he knows nothing about football and is only interested in the bottom line.

If we keep Pogba then this club will never recover all the while Woodward is involved. It just proves his decisions are not for the benefit of the team.

To not play, just because you want a transfer, or you think you are too good only reinforces the fact you will never be a top quality player and jsut undermines the other players and the club. It's a disgraceful attitiude.

And to say every player should be running to their agent, again, those players can go, they are not we need. Those players got us to 6th. A few weeks ago they had a set of very winnable games to us CL and blew it. We need more of the mentality that we need to improve, we need to be fitter, we need more effort.

They should be begging not be sold, because 90% of them should be, and wanting to put right their awful performances.

I can't wait to see the back of Pogba. And I imagine Madrid fans will be the same in a few years time.

He's given up no doubt about that but who hasn't in that team?

They've seen the writing on the wall for months and they're all suggesting they want out even Mr "gets Utd/future captain" Ander Herrera is crying off to PSG. This lot have been planning their exits all season since Rashford took his spot because he couldn't score Lukaku has been saying he wants to play in Italy that guys been a stone every weight all season. All of them have been crying off with injuries ever since Ole asked them to run a bit more because they're all horribly out of shape.

Did you see the clip of them chasing back vs Huddersfield it was embarrassing Dalot had been on 5 minutes and he's jogging when the winger is going through on goal if he sprints that chance doesn't happen.

These players all had it in their hands to take that CL spot and none of them seem arsed not one was on the pitch looking broken they don't give a flying f*ck as they probably all know they won't be here next season. They'll be lucky if their new clubs are in CL next season as this lot are Europa League players only De Gea & Pogba are good enough to play for a decent CL side the rest of them are Europa League standard because they can't perform consistently.

Until Woodward has all football making decisions taken away from him nothing will change because he can't see what the impact of his decisions are.

He's given up no doubt about that but who hasn't in that team?

They've seen the writing on the wall for months and they're all suggesting they want out even Mr "gets Utd/future captain" Ander Herrera is crying off to PSG. This lot have been planning their exits all season since Rashford took his spot because he couldn't score Lukaku has been saying he wants to play in Italy that guys been a stone every weight all season. All of them have been crying off with injuries ever since Ole asked them to run a bit more because they're all horribly out of shape.

Did you see the clip of them chasing back vs Huddersfield it was embarrassing Dalot had been on 5 minutes and he's jogging when the winger is going through on goal if he sprints that chance doesn't happen.

These players all had it in their hands to take that CL spot and none of them seem arsed not one was on the pitch looking broken they don't give a flying f*ck as they probably all know they won't be here next season. They'll be lucky if their new clubs are in CL next season as this lot are Europa League players only De Gea & Pogba are good enough to play for a decent CL side the rest of them are Europa League standard because they can't perform consistently.

Until Woodward has all football making decisions taken away from him nothing will change because he can't see what the impact of his decisions are.
I think Gary Neville summed up perfectly with one of his comments on sunday, they arent a team, atall - there isnt anything united about it, bunch of individuals who dont play well together.

Am I the only one who thinks its absolutely bizarre and f**king ludicrous how we are talking about guys who earn £200,000 a week .... A WEEK ! and were talking about fitness !!!! its laughable it really is, what they do in training is beyond me and as we arent fit, we cant cross a ball, free kicks are awful ... I could go on but I wont.

I saw a really good representation of United at the moment somewhere recently ....

Man United at the moment are like a really expensive custom made jacket, one of the arms designed by Gucci, another by Louis Vuitton, the body designed by Chanel plus loads of other flashy bits, but one arm is shorter than the other, the body doesn't quite fit right and the collar is the wrong shape, the different colours dont work together and the jacket just looks mashed together.

Its a bit whacky but it a good representation of what we are, expensive players thrown together hoping to make something brilliant and that works well, when in fact we are an utter shit show.

The money makes no difference giving someone more money won't make them run faster or act more like a professional you either have that or you don't if you're giving the money to the wrong sort of characters it may have a negative effect on them as they're no longer chasing it. It totally depends on what drives you paying Ronaldo or Messi £10 a week of £10m a week won't make any difference they've got something within them that makes them want to win everything. I personally think Pogba sits somewhere in the middle of this I think his frustration is based on the fact that the players around him are nowhere near as good as he hoped they'd be when he came and for some reason he's expected to carry them.

Due to the scheduling of matches now every 3 days it's almost impossible to get players fitter through the season I think Utd are suffering this season because barely any of our players had a proper pre season due to world cup/injury. This is where the hard work is done and your maximum level is set the season is just about maintaining that high level and trying to avoid injury I doubt there's much fitness work done during a season because it's all about recovery and tactical preparations for the next opponent. Klopp really struggled with this when he came in his teams faded badly in the second half of his first 2 seasons that hasn't happened this year and Liverpool didn't have to many players go deep at the world cup.

It's a fair analogy @Ben Townsend Neville in his rant last night claimed that currently Utd have on the books Fergie's chief scout, another Moyes got in, LVG's scout, Mourinho's scout plus the people that Woodward has appointed. The whole thing is a mess we apparently have one of the largest scouting networks in world football yet every summer the plan seems to be buy Ronaldo, Bale or Varane. If you don't know what you want how can you possibly build something? It would be like asking 5 different people to design your new house without telling them what you actually want you'd get 5 totally different plans.

Just been reading Balague say he's certain Pogba isn't even Madrids first choice. They want Eriksen

I’m quite certain [Real president] Florentino Perez and the club would like Eriksen instead,” the journalist said. “[He would be] cheaper and a more Real Madrid player.

I hope Levy sticks a stupid price on him. Unless we can get PSG to take him off our hands.

Being reported on Sky Sports that United players will receive a 25% pay cut after failing to reach the champions league.

It would make Pogba’s contract more gettable for other clubs.

Eriksen makes a lot more sense and even rumours going around that Utd want him as the Pogba replacement if he goes to Madrid.

If Eriksen stays firm over the new deal Levy will obviously rather sell to Madrid than Utd he knows long term strengthening a domestic rival is much worse than strengthening a European one.

It also feels like Madrid are up to the usual tricks of trying to drive down the price through the media it's up to Utd to stay strong on it they're in a powerful position here he's got time plenty of time on the contract so they hold the stronger hand.

Madrid do seem like the only buyer really not sure anyone else will be able to afford him.

Eriksen makes a lot more sense and even rumours going around that Utd want him as the Pogba replacement if he goes to Madrid.

If Eriksen stays firm over the new deal Levy will obviously rather sell to Madrid than Utd he knows long term strengthening a domestic rival is much worse than strengthening a European one.

It also feels like Madrid are up to the usual tricks of trying to drive down the price through the media it's up to Utd to stay strong on it they're in a powerful position here he's got time plenty of time on the contract so they hold the stronger hand.

Madrid do seem like the only buyer really not sure anyone else will be able to afford him.
Here's a question @jsp, interested to see your answer along with the rest of the lads;

You say that Madrid and not many others will be able to afford him.

Who else might possibly be able to afford him ? - And which of those teams do you think would want him ?

Im not slagging Pogba here, just intrigued to see what you all think.

Here's a question @jsp, interested to see your answer along with the rest of the lads;

You say that Madrid and not many others will be able to afford him.

Who else might possibly be able to afford him ? - And which of those teams do you think would want him ?

Im not slagging Pogba here, just intrigued to see what you all think.

If Utd want £150m for him right now I don't think anyone will take him because there isn't a PSG to pump that money into the market.

PSG ~ Would love him but they've got big FFP issues right now that haven't gone away. Pogba would be a luxury they need but can't afford I also think Pogba probably wants to save that move until he's hitting 29/30.

Madrid ~ I think they have a need for a player like Pogba goals have been a big problem and Pogba brings goal and creativity from midfield something they lack currently but with Bale still on the books plus the redevelopment of the stadium cash is not exactly available currently. The rumours seem to be to bring in 2 superstars Madrid have to sell before they can buy and selling for top clubs right now is a problem because no one wants your expensive squad players. It seems they've got Hazard in the bag plus they've signed Militao from Porto I think they'd like Pogba but they also recognise they need a striker. I reckon he's quite low down the pecking order for them.

Barca ~ Forget it focus for them is elsewhere they've already tied up De Jong from Ajax and seem like a front runner for De Ligt the focus for them will probably be a striker as they know they need to rotate Suarez to keep him fresh next season.

Bayern ~ Got the money but the days of FC Hollywood are probably over I don't think they'd want all the baggage that comes with a player like Pogba tend to stay out of the super star signing market these days.

City ~ Richest club in the world but don't seem to be prepared to go for these sky high fees tend to buy players in the 50-70m bracket rather than superstars to protect squad harmony. The Utd stuff also makes this deal impossible they just wouldn't sell to them.

Juventus ~ They've spent last years, this years and probably next years budget on Ronaldo just picked up Ramsey on a free so not sure where they'd fit Pogba in. Think they'd love him back they know he'd slot in perfectly but again I think focus will be in other areas for them.

If there was a market for Pogba I think he'd be gone already I honestly think he wanted out last summer but his agent couldn't get anyone to bite so he had to stay I think he still wants out now but his agent is facing the same problem. These top clubs just don't have the money to buy him now the desire for a player like Pogba just isn't there as only 6 or 7 clubs who can afford to pay his transfer fee and wages.

I honestly think there's a more than 50% chance he's still here next season not because he wants to be but because he hasn't got a choice.

I don't think many clubs want him to be honest, it comes down to 3 for me:

Madrid
PSG
Juve

I don't think Marid are overly keen to be honest, it looks to me Hazard is the main priority for them, they want Neymar next year when his buy out drops. Erikson would suit them better. There are also rumours today of 250m Mbappe bid. ZZ hasn't actually said he want him either, he was asked a question and replied that he's a good player. I really don't think they want him, certainly not at 150m.

PSG would like him as he's French and from paris, but aren't their owners going to start pullng investment in that team? Talk is they want to buy another team, possibly Roma.

Juve I think would take him, whether they can afford is another matter.

For me, unfortunately, I think we are stuck with him and the toxic attitude from him and his agent. Maybe we will drop the price if he talks De Ligt into coming - the agent that is.

He needs to learn to be happy with what he's got, and not what the kid next door has.

I still can’t get on board with letting him go. With all the changes that are being made at the club this summer and all the players we have to let go he’s one you keep and build the team around. He’s literally the only player we’ve got that can consistently link defence with attack.

Think the thing to remember is there are only 2 clubs who've paid over 100m for a player might be wrong but only Neymar, Mbappe, Coutinho & Dembele have gone for £100m plus so far and the reality is 2 of those deals were as a result of the Neymar one.
I think there's a reluctance from the top teams to do more of these deals because if they do then it becomes the norm and the money these clubs are generating hasn't doubled so the transfer fees can't double and with FFP you just can't make the numbers work in reality.

Benfica believe they can get 120m euro for this Joao Felix kid. That is bonkers.

If Pogba is unhappy and wants to leave he has to go it's that simple keeping unhappy players around won't help. I think before we do that we should attempt talks to wipe the slate clean and try to convince him to stay but I think we are past that stage with him unless he can see a major change coming that makes this team competitive in a years time I think he'll go. If the club can't change the players mind then they have to get him out he's to influential in the dressing room to risks with.

So the rift starts if Ole doesn't get his way he needs to seriously consider walking away because this clown can't be allowed to keep making football decisions.

His actions destroyed Mourinho's credibility at the club the whole new deal then no money.

Woodward knows he needs his big name stars to keep the sponsors happy without them he knows he can't sell the brand and keep the money flowing in. Pogba is his only big name on the books that sponsors will want to be associated with.

This is obviously rumour but it wouldn't surprise you the sooner this tool is out of the club the better.

I’d be very surprised if Ole wants Pogba gone. He’s mentored Pogba from a very young age and loves the kid.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back