Nicolas Gaitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about it, for me I would much prefer Gotze at Borussia I think he would be great for us.

I think us not having a playmaker has contributed to Rooney's lack of goals because he's having to come deep to make the play.

Midfield problems has had an impact on our attacking players. Carrick's showing yesterday showed what a top midfielder can bring to the table. With a solid midfield Rooney can move closer to the centre forward.

Yeah it is a strange link considering Gaitan plays on the wing... Maybe they feel he can play in a central role but I don't know.

Agree Sideshow Bob, having midfielders on form brings the best ut of the rest of the team in particular Rooney. At the start of the season it was Cleverley and Anderson and now it's Carrick so hopefully it continues. Carrick - Cleverley - Rooney - Welbeck will be a very good spine from midfield to attack.

I mean the Independent's article is suggesting that we're interested in signing both Gaitan and Garcia.

Can you genuinely see us splashing out one hell of a lot of money in January on two players when the gaffer has effectively ruled it out?

I cannot see it.

If true why did we pay 18 million for Ashley Young ? Gaitan is a left winger out and out

thought he could play across the field

Yeah well like Young can play across the field aswell but I'd still consider him an out and out left winger - as in it's their best position. I can guarantee you if we sign Gaitan he will be played on the left. Unless of course we change our current formation.

After reading up a bit on this prospective deal I think it's more of an option we have in place than anything. I believe we had a similar option in place for Rodwell last year but cooled our interest as the year progressed. What it does is it gives our scouts further time to not only weigh Gaitan up, but also to weigh up other alternatives.

His agent has confirmed contact between the two clubs in this link.... United 'have held Gaitan talks' | Football News | Sky Sports

To be honest I don't know much about him, but a few points:

1. If he's a winger, forget about him. I understand he replaced Di Maria at Benfica, and has done a good job of it, but we don't need another winger! The wings are one of our strongest positions right now.
2. If he can play in the centre, and effectively, with 2 strikers ahead of him and not just one, then snap him up quickly. A 4-5-1 or variation of it doesn't suit Rooney or the team, in my opinion, and if he is one of these players that "likes to play behind the main striker" you can also forget about him. We have plenty of attacking talent, it is the support and solidity from the middle that seems to be missing.
3. If he is, as I've been told, a Mata/Silva-like player, surely he isn't as good as those two? If he is being bought to play between the lines like the two Spaniards, and he isn't at the same level (which I doubt he is, unless Gaitan is a real gem that I'm brushing aside foolishly), then why spend £30m on him? We need to stay in touch with our rivals, not lag behind.
4. I've only ever seen him play against United, and even though he looked good (I believe he won MoM in one game) he didn't really jump out at me as something very special. Saying that, it would be foolish of me to judge him on those two games alone, especially seeing as he seemed very adept. But is there a fear of him perhaps lacking that "x-factor" we so desparately crave?

Well Fergie may feel he can play centrally but personally I can't see it. We have Rooney in that position and that won't change. Can't see Nani being budged from the right wing either so I can only see Gaitan being used as a left winger.

As for whether he's as good as Silva or Mata, I don't know. I haven't seen enough of him to judge. What I do know is that our scouts have seen star potential in players before that maybe others didn't see. Douglas Costa... Alexis Sanchez.... even Nani were all touted as future stars by our scouts well before most other sides had spotted their potential. It's well documented that we haven't as much cash as other big european sides but 30 million is an awful lot of money so they must have seen something special in Gaitan.

yes he does seem to be in the mould of silva/mata. It does strike me that gone are the days of the scholes and xavi's and now moved onto more fluid attacking wingers/CM's. The £30 million price tag gets me, i really hope it is around the £20 mil mark as he hasnt proved himself yet, he only just moved to Benfica and could be a huge gamble. Saying that if the staff at United really think he's worth the pop then by all means go for it!

I understand that the fee is slightly inflated both because of a clause that forces them to a pay a percentage of it to Boca Juniors, and the fact that he is part-owned by a trust set up a few years ago to help Benfica's financial situation.

Talk in Portugal is that both Gaitan and Javi Garcia will join us in the summer. Arsenal apparently enquired about one of them and found that we already had an agreement in place.

Not against either of them joining us but not sure the fees that have been quoted are the "value" Fergie is looking for.

More rumours today linking Gaitan with a move to United. I agree with IrishManc's assessment that this has similar vibes with De Gea. Gaitan fits our profile - he's young, talented with further scope to develop and his wages will be in our wage structure.

Apparently scouts watched Benfica on the weekend. No Javi Garcia in team so clear that it was Gaitan they were watching. Gaitan's arrival may see Nani move more central. Sounds like Gaitan is a winger but can play centrally too though so who knows. Think we could see a few players leave aswell as come in, this summer. Gonna be a busy one I think.

Watched Benfica a couple of times since we've been linked with him and been fairly impressed, if we sign him I hope its not £30million + though as its a lot of money for a position we're already strong in and there's less risky signings that could be made for a similar fee. He can play as a winger but is just as good as a central attacking midfielder, almost certain to play on the wing in a 4-4-2 I would think.

If anyone's interested Benfica are playing away against Zenit St. Petersburg now on SS2. Think Gaitan is playing wide right....

Gaitan has shown glimpses but on the whole been pretty poor. Passing has been a bit off and has been caught on the ball 3 or 4 times. The pitch is shite though and he might not be a fan of playing when it's -10°C......

If anyone's interested Benfica are playing away against Zenit St. Petersburg now on SS2. Think Gaitan is playing wide right....

Gaitan has shown glimpses but on the whole been pretty poor. Passing has been a bit off and has been caught on the ball 3 or 4 times. The pitch is shite though and he might not be a fan of playing when it's -10°C......

I didn't see this post. If I would have known, I would have watched.

Apparently scouts watched Benfica on the weekend. No Javi Garcia in team so clear that it was Gaitan they were watching. Gaitan's arrival may see Nani move more central. Sounds like Gaitan is a winger but can play centrally too though so who knows. Think we could see a few players leave aswell as come in, this summer. Gonna be a busy one I think.

I can see several squad members leaving or going on loan in the summer to satisfy the 25 man squad rule.

100% not worth 40 million from what I've seen, plus i doubt it would happen considering we have just forked out for Ashley Young and we have Nani & AV who play in similar positions.

There will be an issue with signing him on the fee because I don't believe Benfica own 100% of his registration it's common in Portugal for clubs to own part shares in players especially South American players. So the fee would be crazy for this kid.

I don't think this is the summer to go splashing cash unless you've got it as everyone is sort of getting used to how this Financial Fair Play thing is going to work. The reality is that players are no longer worth the ridiculous sums of money that used to get thrown around I'd be amazed if anyone goes for much more than £35m over the next few years.

To me signing another wide player would be strange after the arrival of Young last summer it's the full back areas that I think we should be concentrating on I love the twins attitude but the fact is they're to injury prone so we're having to play CB's out of position at RB to fill gaps and Evra has been on a decline for 2 seasons now.

Yeah I've always found this link a bit strange mainly due to the prices being talked about. However as I've said in one of the above posts, scouts can spot things in players that wouldn't be evident to everyone. I've used the Sanchez example above and to be fair when we were linked a few years ago people were questioning it because on viewing he looked inconsistent and so on and so forth... Then last season came and he just took off. All of a sudden every club in the world wanted him. Maybe it's a similar case with Gaitan that the potential is there he just is yet to explode onto the scene. 35 million is his reported buy-out clause but I'd be surprised if the fee for him was more than 30 million.

Well another example is Angel Di Maria who was at Benfica as well they sold him on to Real Madrid for a lot of money.

Just seems a strange signing unless one of the current wingers is going.

Personally I think our name gets used a lot by agents to try and whip up interest in their players. Benfica are a selling club they look to sell the big stars to fund further purchases so I think a lot of the hype around this lad is they've decided he's the one they're looking to move on this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back