Lou Macari
Gerry Daly
Sub Steve Coppell

Goal scorers
Macari
McIlroy
Houston
Pearson

I got the train from Altrincham to Warwick road with my big brother which we jibbed as he apparently did this every week by keeping a wad of old tickets he collected off the line to hand in, when we got to Warwick road there was too many of us for the ticket collector to deal with and they couldn’t be arsed checking & just let us through, this was something I carried on doing right through the 70's.The first thing I remember was all the United fans wearing red doc martins and wearing scarfs one on each wrist, denim jackets and jeans oh and red bobble hats without the bobble and the 70's style hair classy lol. First stop meat & potato pie 20p at the top of Warwick road, which I remember trying to eat while a strong smell of horse shit drifted around my nostrils, this was a familiar smell in those days as there was always police horses around the ground. As we got near the ground crossing the bridge fans were jumping up and down, I said to my bro whats going on, he said there looking to see if tv cameras are here as they used to park up outside where the away fans enter now and this was next to the old souvenier shop. In those days it was either BBC for MOTD or Granada(ITV) the Sunday Match with Gerald Sindstat the scouse & citeh lover, used to hate him with a passion. Any way we wernt on & I continued my walk to the ground just bursting with excitement, almost jogging now as I couldnt wait to get into the ground. We made our way around the back dodging more horse shit towards the Stretford End to be hit with large queues waiting to get in. I remember everyone was pushing and shoving & my bro sort of trying to make sure I didn’t get crushed, as more police horses tried to form seperate queues by backing into fans, hated those big bastards nobody got in there way. Finally we get in 30p junior what a bargin bro paid lol not even spent a pound and the programme was 5 or 10p I think ,with the magic token attached which my bro took off me straight away, just incase we got to wembley. Now I just couldnt contain the excitement and legged it up the middle stairs to see my first view of the pitch and stadium,which was just awesome. By now I was pumping adrenelin and as soon as we got to our spot halfway up to the left of the tunnel, I was singing my head off, as my brothers had already taught me every song going lol. As the clock was ticking nearer to kick off the ground was filling up nicely & I was getting pushed nearer the crash barriers so I jumped under and stood in front of them just incase. Then the aromas kicked in around me much worse than horse shit, stong smells of pies, chips, beer and the horrible bitter farts, honest unbelievable. I'm sure others of my age on here can relate to experiencing them ! all I can say is they were evil especially as you couldn’t move away in those days with all standing terraces and packed together like sardines. Finally 2.55pm the teams walk out from the old tunnel beneath SAF dugout to loud cheers and chants of United United, by now the hairs just stood up on my neck sort of half cheering and just looking in amazement and thinking I’m actually seeing my heroes in the flesh for the first time. The players just ran out straight to the Stretford End ,Alex Stepney throwing something in to the back of the net and a quick look up and acknowledgement to the United fans met with cheers & a quick Stepney chant, Stuart Pearson then began warming Alex up sidefooting shots at him. The song then went up oh Stuart Stuart I’d walk a million miles for one of your goals oh Stuart, with thousands of fists in the air singing it, that was my favourite song at the time, Pearson waves to the crowd and we move on to the next player.Then I hear behind me who the feck is that at sub Kopel (Coppell) that was how it was spelt in the programme & lol somebody behind me said he’s from Liverpool a fecking scouser, he better be good which was met with laughter, which at 12yrs old went right over my head. Bubbling now and standing on my tiptoes the game finally kicks off and to be honest I cant remember too much about it as I was just overawed mainly with the crowd and atmosphere just brilliant. Laugh now but the only goal I can remember was Sammy Mcllroy’s who ran from the half way line to slot it into the net at the Stretford end que everyone going mental and I ended up halfway down the terraces being hugged by other fans and looking back to where I was originally stood seeing my bro pissing his sides at me & me just grinning back at him. Also that day I was priviledge to see Stevie Kopel the scouser come on in the 2nd half for his debut and he played very well beating the fullback on many occasions instantly winning over all the fans. What a day totally hooked and couldn’t wait to go again.

My first ever blog and would like to know other fans memories of their first game and anyone else who enjoyed going in the 70’s.

Took me ages to do that :) Had loads of favourites in the 70s tbh Pancho Pearson, Gerry Daly the penalty master,Gordon Hill king of all cockneys and Joe snarling Jordan with his front teeth missing scaring the life out of defenders.

Good read, my first game was a pre season match against Birmingham, cant remember what year it was exactly but it was 10+ years ago all i can remember really is Giggs & Cole playing upfront and falling off my seat

Great post my man! I'm a big reader of these insightful, personal gameday posts. Gives us who live abroad a feel for atmosphere @ OT. Give us another if you can. GGMU

Good read Rooney2

my first live UTD game was in 1978 versus Spurs...! I was at Stretford End when they were still terraces.... unfortunately I didn't get to see much of the game as there was a riot when some of the Spurs fans were trying to charge into the Stretford End tunnel.... nearly shat my self as I was only 8 at the time...!

Good read rooney2 you were very lucky to have seen one of the best readers of a game,and defender i have seen wearing the red of united and that was Martin Buchan,not the biggest of players but boy could he get up in the air with the best,he was never flustered and it was very rare you saw Martin on the floor he had a great knack of just nipping in in front of the opposition and taking the ball off there feet............thanks for the memories roo...

Thanks for your kind words WT on my ist ever blog. Buchan was a quality defender and unsung hero at times for United the quiet man,but boy could he read the game and super cool under pressure like you said WT.Buchan not renound for scoring but found a clip of this cracker scored at the Stretford End in the dying minutes against Everton,one I was privilaged to see live and que going mental :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still on the theme of 1974 I've just found these highlights of United's 1st game in Div 2 away at Orient which Utd won 2-0 Morgan & Houston scoring.The ground was packed mostly full of the Red Army which is what it was like all season @away games.For the younger forum members who wernt born or cant remember just look at the fashion lol :).
The clips come in 3 parts and the commentor was the magnificent Brian Moore.

I'll not forget that season a) didn't miss a game b)it was nice to go to Oxford ,bristol,york,notts county ..etc....and we still managed to knock the noisy neighbours out of the league cup..................oh what fun!!!!!!!......lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back