Mason Mount | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

If he's fit and up to speed he walks into the team, though where isn't obvious ....
Hmm not sure about that. Who does he get in ahead of? Casemiro, Mainoo or Bruno? I don’t think he gets in ahead of those or on the wings. So I think he’s a good squad player to have but I cannot see where he fits in full time.

Hmm not sure about that. Who does he get in ahead of? Casemiro, Mainoo or Bruno? I don’t think he gets in ahead of those or on the wings. So I think he’s a good squad player to have but I cannot see where he fits in full time.

But the Manager and his coaches obviously do. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Just being playful on the fact you said he walks in to the team but not sure where and dislike Shaw.

I think he becomes Mainoos back up.

Yeah I knew what you were doing ....

Think once he's up to speed EtH will play him where he can hurt the opposition most, might be wide-right one game, wide-left the next, the runner in a midfield 3 the next, even as a 9½ at times.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. Might have to be next season now though.

Does he even get in the side with everyone fit?

Right now I’d say no but he’d be a hell of a sub given how many positions he can play.

I don’t think there’s many spots that are nailed down at the moment if he gets fit and plays well he could easily find himself starting games.

Is he still alive? he seems to have disappeared.

The club reported a setback a few weeks ago said they need to give the injury more time to try and make sure they solve the problem rather than rush.

Guess we might see him back after the international break in March.

The club reported a setback a few weeks ago said they need to give the injury more time to try and make sure they solve the problem rather than rush.

Guess we might see him back after the international break in March.
Cheers

ETH says he should be back after the international break.

Hopefully we get to see him contribute to the end of the season and this run of injuries is over.

I always thought he was a good player just playing in the wrong position. Now if Bruno would not wonder all over the place Mount might play a lot better.

I always thought he was a good player just playing in the wrong position. Now if Bruno would not wonder all over the place Mount might play a lot better.

Two players for the same role, hard to see how they play together

I do not think so as Mount plays on the left midfield. Unless ETH was planning to play a diamond ( which itself is a good idea if he has the right players) then ì do not know why he bought him?

Mount was bought to take the burden off Bruno, and for his versatility. He plays best as a #10 or an #8, the latter being his favourite. He can be used all over the midfield, so I assume that's why he was bought.

Back in training today.

This weekend may well come too soon but hopefully we will have him back in the squad after the International break.

I reckon the club will arrange some behind closed doors friendly games during the international break hopefully he'll get some minutes under his belt in those.

Feels like he needs to have a strong finish to the season no more injuries and show the fans some glimpses of what the club has paid for.

well he didn't offer anything prior to injury, I hope they don't drop Mainoo

well he didn't offer anything prior to injury, I hope they don't drop Mainoo

I thought he did okay considering the big money move, he made some intelligent runs creating space for his teammates, the only real let-down was his shooting/finishing which is normally very good.

Doubt EtH will play him CMF, he will replace one of the wingers. And Mainoo is gonna need resting soon anyway.

Yeah I think in some games we might see him instead of Rashford or Garnacho to try and get a bit more possession higher up the pitch and be a bit less direct.

The plan at the start of the season certainly looked like he’d be used in a 3 in midfield.

Possesion based football requires more than one extra player to be effective in our set up, Mount in a wide area ends the same way it does with Rashford or Garnacho, and that's losing the ball. Playing Casemiro centrally gurantees that as he's not that type of player either.

If ETH wants to go for a bit more possession it begins in central midfield.

Amrabat - Mainoo - Mount/Eriksen

Eriksen/Mount

No Bruno, or Casemiro, and we know he won't drop them two. So forget possession.

I think you can give Casemiro/Bruno different directions in how the team plays and they're good enough to adapt. If we want to keep the ball they can play a shorter game but to do that the team needs to be more compact and closer together.

Currently the team is asked to spread out and that means getting the ball forward quickly.

Still don't see either of them fully adapting to any type of possession based system, they simply don't have the capability of passing and moving, or playing in triangles. Casemiro's best quality is his ability to win a ball/intercept and then pass it straight into a danger area. That's what he does. If you take that away from him all you have is a yellow card machine. Particularly these days. As for Bruno, he's so used to his free role at this point, as it's what he's played most of his career and what he's best at, I'm not sure he has the discipline to stay in the right positions.

I think you can teach certain players to play a new style like that, but probably not most of our players. If we went compact then it's almost a tika-taka style of which our team is 100% incapable of playing. They don't have the technical ability.

Why the sudden interest in a possession based system, that's how City play and it sends most people to sleep, King Louis tried it and got ridiculed ....

We just need a well-drilled side who are comfortable whether we or our opponents have the ball.

None of this 65/70% nonsense thanks.

International break has come at a bad time for him.

Hopefully there's going to be some behind closed door matches during this break to help get him up to speed.

Had a rotten old first season for us but really happy to see him take that chance. A really good finish as well. He has that quality in his locker but need to work out how we can use him effectively.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back