Malacia, Eriksen, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony, Dubravka

Incomings

Think I'd give it an 7/10 I like the signings we've made just think we made them a bit later than necessary.

It clearly wasn't a window where we started on day one with a clear plan and clear targets they had to be fluid and adapt as things happened. The De Jong saga dragged on to long but I think we got out of it with a quality alternative in Casemiro.

Business was done late which left us light up front for the first few games of the season but overall I'd say they only really left themselves short in 1 spot which is the centre forward spot.

There was certainly a panic post Brentford going into that game we were in talks to sign Rabiot and Arnautovic which really didn't go down well with fans then suddenly there was a switch to Anthony and Casemiro.

Outgoings

Probably say 5/10.

No real complaints from me Garner was a bit of a surprise one but if they don't think he's ready they have to let him move on, think the price was fair for a lad who isn't proven in the premier league. A few of the loans ideally could have been sales Bailly/Telles/Henderson should really have been sold but these players are hard to move due to their contracts so at least they're out on loan.

They didn't manage to move Jones, Tuanzebe and Williams on in the end, I did see something suggesting that Tuanzebe suffered a bad back injury which is why he didn't move on.

The free transfers not ideal to lose players for nothing but it had to be done all those guys needed to go

The Ronaldo situation hasn't been resolved and now lingers over the whole season but it was a tough situation to be in as no one wanted to buy him and the cost of replacing him would have been huge. His attitude in recent weeks off the bench has been good so hopefully he's willing to just get on with it and fight for his spot in the side.

I love the attitude the new signings have brought, and Antony looks like he'll be the same

I'm going 8.5 for the signings.

On paper it looks like a superb summer but that’s all depending on how Casemiro and Antony integrate into then the team. I would say it’s a solid 8/10.

The important thing is we’ve added some steeliness to the team, we’ve seen that already with Martinez and Malacia. Casemiro and Antony also have the right kind of character.

I think another back up striker would have made it the perfect window.

On paper it looks like a superb summer but that’s all depending on how Casemiro and Antony integrate into then the team. I would say it’s a solid 8/10.

The important thing is we’ve added some steeliness to the team, we’ve seen that already with Martinez and Malacia. Casemiro and Antony also have the right kind of character.

I think another back up striker would have made it the perfect window.
I was thinking about the transfer window earlier today and agree with this. I would say 8/10 as well. This is a transfer window in a long while where you can say we have actually bought the right character of players with good focus on the spine of the team in Dubravka, Martinez (and Malacia), and Casemiro. You could maybe add Antony as a forward player.

The club get a big fat 0 for the summer long FDJ saga which we were all sick off towards the end.

Is that the score for the club's approach to the transfer window?
yeah

8.5 for the players

4 for the club, and they only got that becasue of the players rather then their role

It's very hard to judge the day after the window closes but for the first time in a while I'm not seeing a massive hole in that squad.

If you go through it by positions I'd say on paper the squad has been strengthened in key areas and more importantly we've got rid of players who were unhappy.

Keepers - Same
Full Backs - Stronger
Centre Backs - Stronger
Centre Mids - Stronger
Wide Players - Same (greenwood out Anthony in)
Centre Forward - Weaker (Cavani out no one in)

Next summer the club has got to be much better prepared to go into the market and secure the targets early and if ETH is still here I think they will be as the work doesn't stop it has to continue to identify the players to replace whatever weaknesses remain.

It's really hard to say. If I'm judging the quality of the players we brought in, Martinez and Malacia look like hits, Casemiro *should* be exactly what we've been missing since forever, Eriksen will probably be a useful squad player and Dubravka is hopefully irrelevant. Antony excites me and could balance our attack perfectly. So far, the attitude of the incomings has been a sight for sore eyes, as is their loyalty to the manager.

However, I think we'll regret not signing a CF or RB. We're relying on Martial and Dalot, two players who we all would've happily seen the back of after last season.

The departure lounge has been underpopulated for my liking. We should've sold the players we loaned out, and should've loaned Garner instead of selling...especially if there wasn't a buy back clause as has been reported. The likes of Jones and Williams should've been sold/had their contracts terminated. Maguire/Ronaldo/AWB should've probably been moved on, but I can forgive a manager for wanting to keep 'first team players' as cover and then move them on in Jan or next summer.

Our approach to this window has been baffling. The rapid shift to Rabiot and Arnautovic following a defeat and then the equally as rapid backpedal following supporter revolt doesn't provide evidence of a transfer plan. Nor does exclusively buying players with Ajax/Dutch links or the summer long pursuit of FdJ without getting it over the line and then leaving our real business so late that we overpay for Antony.

It does feel like our usual ineptitude in the market, but hopefully with better players coming in. Conversely, Casemiro could be Varane from his first season and Antony could be Martial MKII and...shudders.

Obviously the success the window will be determined by how the players perform, but I'm going to be positive and say that the incomings will be hits and this window will be the start of our resurgence. Let's goooooo!!

We had so much to get done given where we started it was impossible to tick off every box in 1 window we'd have signed more players than Forest if we did that.

Think we have took a gamble at RB and CF hoping the existing players in Dalot/AWB and Ronaldo/Martial can perform to the good enough level to get us through the season.

Dubravka vs Henderson - I'd say that's a like for like
Malacia vs Telles - Upgrade
Martinez vs Bailly- Upgrade
Casemiro vs Matic - Upgrade
Eriksen vs Pogba - I'd say like for like ability wise Pogba has the edge but I think physically he's shot and his head was clearly gone at Utd.
Anthony vs Greenwood - To early to really say as I just don't know enough about Anthony to say if he's as good as Greenwood was.

Of the others who've gone in my option neither Lingard or Mata needed to be replaced. Cavani has gone but I'm not sure we need 3 centre forwards with the other two staying.

This squad isn't going to win the league we all know that but hand on heart that squad should be able to compete for a top 4 spot if ETH can build a bit of momentum I think they can get in there but it's going to be a tough challenge.

Malacia vs Telles - Upgrade
Martinez vs Bailly- Upgrade
Casemiro vs Matic - Upgrade
Eriksen vs Pogba - I'd say like for like ability wise Pogba has the edge but I think physically he's shot and his head was clearly gone at Utd.
Anthony vs Greenwood - To early to really say as I just don't know enough about Anthony to say if he's as good as Greenwood was.
I would amend that to include:

Malacia vs Telles/Shaw - Upgrade
Martinez vs Bailly/Lindelof/Maguire/Jones - Upgrade
Casemiro vs Matic/McFred - Upgrade

This has been a particular success of the transfer window where the incomings are better than the departures AND current first team players.

I would amend that to include:

Malacia vs Telles/Shaw - Upgrade
Martinez vs Bailly/Lindelof/Maguire/Jones - Upgrade
Casemiro vs Matic/McFred - Upgrade

This has been a particular success of the transfer window where the incomings are better than the departures AND current first team players.

I just went for the in vs out comparison to say have we made the squad stronger.

But it'll be judged at the end of the season not at the end of the window as to how successful it was.

Far to early to call it in my opinion but instant reaction is I'm happy with the signings.

Agreed. And it's allowed us to drop underperforming players in Maguire/McFred and hopefully Ronaldo, and play differently.

The other massive positive point from the summer was that we didn't give new contracts to the deadwood to 'preserve their sell-on value without actually selling them.' Letting players out of contract walk away was certainly a big boy club move.

Early days so it's hard to truly judge but I'd say it was a 6/10 overall.

They brought in talent no doubt and some of those players are young. They also added real quality in Casemiro.

But they needed another ball playing CM. They overspent on Casemiro and the price for Antony is crazy. But ultimately if Ten Hag wanted those players then they have backed him.

The biggest issue really was the wasted De Jong saga that drops them from a 7 to a 6.

Based on my expectation I would have to rate as follows:

Incoming 6/10 - Cannot believe we did not get a number 9. To go into the season now relying on Martial and a 37 year old Ronaldo is mental. The fact Rashford has shown he isn't a CF means we will have no reliable cover from him. Being fussy another CB to allow for Maguire to move on would have been a cherry on top.

Outgoing 7/10 - plenty of deadwood shifted. Would have liked to see Jones go for sure and maybe Maguire.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back