Liverpool 2020/21 Discussion

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is crazy how it's all unravalled so quickly at Liverpool this season the injuries are obviously a problem that they haven't had in the last 2 seasons but even the forward players have lost form. Salah is still chipping in with goals but he doesn't look himself and Mane is totally off it.

You do wonder how bad does it get before Klopp walks?

Mad to think that their fans left the stadium as nailed on title winners that romped the title and in 18 months out of the grounds they could return in August watching a team that didn't even qualify for the champions league.

A Chelsea win tonight leaves them 7 points off top 4 and given that they need to invest in that side if they miss top 4 it's hard to see them being able to strengthen to much.

An Everton win tonight is even worse for them. Everton would go 6 points in front and have a game in hand. And obviously being their main big city rivals.

Hard to really put your finger on it but the injuries are a big killer.

They've basically had all 3 of their first choice CB's missing for a huge chunk of the season and the knock on impact is he's been playing his starting centre mids at centre back because he's got a lot of midfield options.

They're just in a nose dive now no one is scared of playing them anymore and go to Anfield fancying their chances rebuilding that invincible fear factor will be tough.

For them this season is just damage limitation now pray they get into the top 4 and hope that everyone is fit for next season and they can find the money to reinforce the defence a bit.

You do wonder if Klopp needs to make a short term style change to get them back on track.

The front three are off form too, it's not just the defence, the intensity isn't there, and without that their system falls to pieces.

They have some bigger problems than a lot of pundits are saying for me. I think he needs to change his playing staff more frequently (in/out the club not the team) They have been running 100% for 90 mins for 3 yers now.

I don't think they look like a tired team and they weren't as aggressive last season but they were rock solid at the back so all those narrow wins are now turning into draws and losses because they can't keep clear sheets anymore. That intensity over 3 years may be a factor in the number of injuries which then means you can't rotate because you have so many injuries. City seem to have avoided the injury "plague" to an extent by rotating a squad of players they are keeping 15 or 16 quality players ticking over by giving them regular breaks.

It's not just the front 3 but also the full backs maybe not so much Robertson but TAA is nothing like the player he was the year before his crossing just hasn't been the same weapon it was.

Every player and manager says it's harder to retain a title than to win one first time around maybe there's been that little dip from everyone that Klopp hasn't been able to put a stop to.

I can't see them making top 4. If anyone looks like they'll capitalise on any slip ups from Us, Leicester or Chelsea it looks like it'll be Everton or Spurs.

I guess it cannot be discounted them making top four but it will require all the guys off form to suddenly find another gear. Jota back will help but it’ll take time for him to be back to full sharpness. I think when Mane and Salah are banging in the goals, the lack of goals from Firmino isn’t too bad but he’s not a guy who will pick up the goal scoring burden on his own.

They're not even going to make Europe at this rate, let alone CL

Well none of the CB's are going to be back this season so a lot I think will depend no how long Henderson is out if they can get him back into the midfield they will be able to play Fabinho at CB who looks good enough. That might be enough people in the right positions to get a run together but they really can't afford another slip up before the international break.

Think it just highlights how good a "team" they are this wasn't a case of one or two players carrying some average ones it was a real group effort take one or two of the cogs out and suddenly the whole thing stops working.

Could be a route out?

Joachim Low to quit as Germany boss after Euros bringing end to 15-year reign including World Cup 2014 glory

There's certainly been talk that this is what he wants to do after Liverpool but not sure he's finished being a club manager just yet.

Yeah looks like their manager will be joining the national team in the summer he's had a massive fall out with the board at Bayern so he's decided to call it a day.

I think Klopp will stick it out at Liverpool he seems to really like it there and they love him.

The only thing that could pull him back to Germany would be family after a year of living in lockdowns will that draw of being closer to home be a big thing for him and make him want to go back.

And is the Liverpool project coming to an end? Do they have the funds to add the players they will need?

It's really hard to tell I guess it depends on who from the first team actually wants to go.

There's rumours around Salah but everyone else seems pretty settled at Liverpool so they potentially could raise money by selling off squad players.

Assuming Van Dijk comes back next season and they buy a centre back they're suddenly right back in the running I think.

Top 4 money is very important after seasons without fans if they missed the CL that could be a big problem for them as it will restrict what they can do in the transfer market.

They've been pretty clever in the market had a few duds but got a lot more right than wrong so they'll be hoping that their judgement on players can plug those gaps that appeared this season well enough and they won't have another injury crisis next season.

Salah and Mane are getting interest I think.

I don't think Liverpool have the model for sustained success, they just don't invest or pay enough. The sale of Coutinho really helped them out on that front.

I mean they spent around 80m last summer on Jota, Thiago and a left back where they've been very good is selling off young players like Ibe, Solanke, Brewster and a few others picking lots of £10-20m fees that pay for the first team.

The issue they've got like every top club is unless you can exploit a low buyout clause/expiring contract any player they go for now suddenly costs a lot more.

I would suspect that the level of temptation to join Bayern would depend on how conversations with FSG re: summer transfers go. If they won't fund the necessary incomings and are prepared to listen to an offer for Salah/Mane, he might decide this is the right time to leave. By all accounts, Covid has hit them pretty hard, and if they won't have CL money next season, they won't have funds to spend this summer.

Pretty scary numbers considering these losses don't factor in a whole season playing behind closed doors this season. The next round of figures will be even worse.

If they don't make top 4 they are in big trouble.

Yeah, two more, on paper, easy wins and they're through.
I just hope it's Chelsea and not Leicester who miss out

Get the money on them winning the league again next season.

Cos they're cycling back on the drugs?

A few of them seemed to be coughing heavily yesterday could be Asthma.

Whatever super serum they gave Mané seems to have worn off.

A little tongue in cheek of me. But it's widely thought that City and Liverpool especially are pushing the boundaries. This prediction of Liverpool's poor season was made before the first weekend kicked off.

I wouldn't take the article entirely seriously but the comments section is gold.

Hmmm, no doubt their levels were extraordinary, we did wonder how they kept it up.

But if they're doing something, everyone will be. Unfortunately sport is full of it. No reason to think football would be any differnt

As long as you're within the rules of the time then it's all fair game.

I think Liverpool having a dip was more likely from the obvious reason that they'd flogged a pretty small group of players for 2-3 seasons in a row and not really had any serious issues eventually the injuries will come and you pay the price as Liverpool have done this season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back