Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

According to The Sun, Fergie is plotting a £9m swoop for St Etienne defender Kurt Zouma.

The transfer may or may not happen, but Zouma could be worth keeping any eye on.

What are the views of regular watchers of French football?

Fergie apparently attended tonight's 4-0 win for Saint-Etienne.

He's apparently the best young CB in Europe. But if we did sign him what would happen to him? When all the centre backs are fit will he get a look in?

Seen him a couple of times and looks very good. Seems to have everything you'd want off a centre back but don't see the point in signing him unless Fergie sees Phil Jones as a midfielder in the long term. We're well stocked in good young centre backs but he might be one of those youngsters who's so good we have to make a move.

haha already seen him described as the new Marcel Desailly. I've not seen him play so it might be a good comparison but it's probably just a lazy comparison like the Pogba-Vieira one.

If we did get him, i'd leave him in France for a season, no point in him coming to us yet. With the injuries we get, he probably would get games but it'd be best for him to stay in France probably. We don't know how long Rio has left, we're unsure of Jones' long term position and Vidic is 30 and has just come back from a long injury. Long term it'll probably be a good signing. Would like to see Michael Keane get his chance first though.

Keane deserves a chance but I'm still far from sure he'll have a career at United. He's made huge strides since Academy level but if you were to judge him purely on ability and on what attributes top centre backs require - he doesn't have great pace, not that comfortable on the ball, not particularly commanding... I'm probably being very harsh but it's just how I feel. Think Thorpe has more going for him but unfortunately he probably doesn't have the height, which is something Keane does have in fariness.

He is a fine CB but has some temperament issues. I will side with IrishManc, why not give the likes of Keane a chance. If this signing happens trust me we will see a Pogba-esque departure.

According to Le 10 Sport we have invited Zouma to Old Trafford to watch a game.

He is a big boy, he just has his bouts of losing his cool, as most CBs do and he is still a kid at age 18. I agree that if we do pull the trigger on him in the January transfer window, we should leave him at Saint-Etienne for the remainder of the season.

The issue I see has already been highlighted: Where will he fit in?

We've got Jones, Evans and Smalling as young CBs (though Jones can also play DM, of course). Are we looking at him because Fergie is expecting to let go Rio or Vidic soon? Evans?

I wouldn't be surprised if both Vidic and Ferdinand left next summer. Evans leaving in the near future is unlikely.

As you say we have young centre backs in Smalling and Jones, however Fergie has a history of buying talent even if we are well stocked in a certain position, so if Zouma has the potential to be a top player I can understand why we would be interested. He could be someone that we cannot afford to miss out on.

Does Zouma have the potential to play in midfield?

Staggering, but unfortunately not unexpected considering how some sections of the media operate.

If you are interested in watching him, Saint-Etienne are on ESPN now playing Marseille. He is #4.

Watched a bit of it. Looks a good athlete, comfortable enough on the ball too. Was at fault a bit for Marseille's goal though.

Several papers have linked us with a summer move for Zouma. How's he faring this season for regular watchers of French football?

If we're genuinely interested, we might have to move sooner as Swansea have already (apparently) made an approach.

Several papers have linked us with a summer move for Zouma. How's he faring this season for regular watchers of French football?

The only thong I know is that Saint-Etienne r 8th & only conceded 16 goals in 21 games which is the 3rd best in the league & he is in the first team.
So don't look like his doing to bad.

Zouma has signed a new deal with Saint-Etienne running until 2017.

Zouma signing a new contract with Saint-Etienne so they can get more money for him? I think they expect him to leave in summer, they just want as much money as possible.

Manchester United favourites to sign Frenchman after 'aggressive' chasing - Sport Witness

Manchester United and Kurt Zouma. A never ending love story. It all started a while back (the wonderful summer of 2012) and the links have yet to cease.

Le10 Sport have been reporting a possible move involving the U20 World champion for some time now, and the list of clubs following the wunderkind seems to be growing constantly.

Manchester United were amongst the first to be linked, then came Manchester City, Liverpool, Anzhi Makhachkala, Paris Saint-Germain and now Monaco. More clubs have probably been mentioned as potential buyers around the globe, but you get the gist: Kurt Zouma is a wanted man.

It seems that all of this interest has caused certain people at Saint-Etienne to start worrying about whether or not Kurt Zouma will still be around after the January transfer window. According to Le10 Sport, in a box hidden at the bottom of a page, there is a fear that the club will not be able to say no to offers over a certain price, with a source close to the club saying that “not every offer is declinable”.

Whereas the price itself is not mentioned, the name of Manchester United is and the French newspaper believes that they are favourites to land the French defender, having been the most “aggressive” so far in terms of enquiries regarding a potential move.

With Manchester United looking for another centre back after clear signs that the Ferdinand-Vidic era is seemingly coming to an end, the prospect of Kurt Zouma, recently called up to the French international squad aged 18, arriving as soon as January could excite many fans, especially those slowly losing faith regarding transfer business at the club after a poor showing over the summer.

However, with Le10 also reporting Monaco's interest for Kurt Zouma, the Premier League champions may need to move fast in order to wrap up any deal for the Frenchman.

As you mentioned the other day SB in another thread, there aren't many top class CB's around. Best place to look right now is at young CB's and make them into top class players. I've not seen him play at all but positive things being said about him, very positive things.

Chelsea are close to completing a £12m move for Zouma, according to BBC Sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back