Jose Mourinho at Spurs 2020/21

So, basically, United finish top four because everyone else is shite?
If you're responding to me, no. Wolves, Everton, Spurs, and Arsenal (if they/Arsenal get lucky) will be contenders for 4th along with us. Chelsea and Leicester won't be far off. People seem to be saying 4th is nailed on and I'm saying the only way we're getting it with the current squad is if we get extremely lucky and are not without our star players for any extended period (and if Pogba remembers how to play). We have an injury crisis every season so I see no reason to think this one will be any different.

We got 4th because of Bruno's arrival, imo. Take Bruno out, and any one of the clubs I listed are a real threat. How were we playing without him? We were struggling in 9th. I'd say an injury to any one of Bruno, Rashford, Maguire means we're in trouble. Potentially Martial, Greenwood, and Ighalo could figure things out between themselves, maybe VDB would be a like-for-like replacement for Bruno (maybe not), and Maguire out would mean Bailly starts (which I think would be calamitous).

Our options off the bench are Lingard, Fred, James, McTominay. I do think the traditional top 6 clubs (the 5 around us) could weather an injury better than we seem to do - but it's all conjecture anyway.

If you're responding to me, no. Wolves, Everton, Spurs, and Arsenal (if they/Arsenal get lucky) will be contenders for 4th along with us. Chelsea and Leicester won't be far off. People seem to be saying 4th is nailed on and I'm saying the only way we're getting it with the current squad is if we get extremely lucky and are not without our star players for any extended period (and if Pogba remembers how to play). We have an injury crisis every season so I see no reason to think this one will be any different. We got 4th because of Bruno's arrival, imo. Take Bruno out, and any one of the clubs I listed are a real threat.
I agree with you. My comment was aimed at those who disagree. Also born from frustration caused by discussions on other threads that focus more on our competitors' short-comings.

If you're responding to me, no. Wolves, Everton, Spurs, and Arsenal (if they/Arsenal get lucky) will be contenders for 4th along with us. Chelsea and Leicester won't be far off. People seem to be saying 4th is nailed on and I'm saying the only way we're getting it with the current squad is if we get extremely lucky and are not without our star players for any extended period (and if Pogba remembers how to play). We have an injury crisis every season so I see no reason to think this one will be any different.

We got 4th because of Bruno's arrival, imo. Take Bruno out, and any one of the clubs I listed are a real threat. How were we playing without him? We were struggling in 9th. I'd say an injury to any one of Bruno, Rashford, Maguire means we're in trouble. Potentially Martial, Greenwood, and Ighalo could figure things out between themselves, maybe VDB would be a like-for-like replacement for Bruno (maybe not), and Maguire out would mean Bailly starts (which I think would be calamitous). Our options off the bench are Lingard, Fred, James, McTominay. I do think the traditional top 6 clubs (the 5 around us) could weather an injury better than we seem to do - but it's all conjecture anyway.
So what? what is it with United fans these days? Bruno's arrival was a positive yet some try and turn it into a negative. If a rival team makes a good mid season signing its a f^cking masterstroke!!!!
Give up will you.

So what? what is it with United fans these days? Bruno's arrival was a positive yet some try and turn it into a negative. If a rival team makes a good mid season signing its a f^cking masterstroke!!!!
Give up will you.
No idea what you're talking about. How on earth would anyone think me saying our move from 9th to 3rd was only because of Bruno is a negative? Pull your head out.

No idea what you're talking about. How on earth would anyone think me saying our move from 9th to 3rd was only because of Bruno is a negative? Pull your head out.
It;s the fact that folk choose to focus on what may have been had we not signed Bruno as opposed to being complimentary to the Bruno effect and offering some credit to the management.
Then it gets applauded if any of our competitors make a similar move.

I think this could turn into a really difficult season as things stand. We really need to strengthen the squad. I am still of an opinion that we have let a really positive end to last season merge into a really negative start to this season. If we don't make some good signings this week I believe we could finish anywhere between 3rd and 8th.

I think this could turn into a really difficult season as things stand. We really need to strengthen the squad. I am still of an opinion that we have let a really positive end to last season merge into a really negative start to this season. If we don't make some good signings this week I believe we could finish anywhere between 3rd and 8th.
I think that stands for a lot of clubs to be honest. It’s wide open beyond Liverpool and City. Obviously City have their defensive problems but I don’t expect them to slip down the table. We could easily finish 3rd, I don’t think we would go down to 8th but 3rd to 6th definitely. Although I do think we’ll make top four.

Think we all agree there's a best case scenario for how this season finishes which is 3rd and a worst case which is back to 6th or 7th.

City could even get dragged into this group of teams if they're not careful but there's a group of about 5 or 6 clubs who haven't been particularly consistent over recent seasons they're all capable of going on good runs of form but they are equally capable of blowing up and collapsing as well.

I don't think any of these clubs have fundamentally removed the ability to implode at any moment from their squads or clubs there's weaknesses and if injuries hit in certain areas everyone has problems.

What, second from bottom? hahah

At the minute, it's all over the place a la F1, you couldn't forecast a race apart from Lewis winning unless he makes his own mistakes. Anyone can and is in the mix. Same with the league and Liverpool from an early viewpoint.

I'm sure the league will settle down after 5, maybe 10 games. The cream usually rises to the top but I'm sure there will be a decent team who will struggle all season, I just hope it's Spurs or Chelsea and not us.

we've been awful and rusty, win our game in hand we are joint 4th. It's not as bad as being made out.

I have Arsenal and Pool friends, the whatsapp group from last night, both of them said Arsenal were awful, no tactics, just soaking up pressure. Chelsea look way off after spending 250m, Spurs are screwed without Son. Leicester will drop off again no doubt. Everton do look good but their squad is thin. Nothing from these teams make look at think we will struggle for 4th like this thread makes out.

Except a bit like Arsenal, we may be awful and play with no tactics for a lot of the season! Think we have too much talent to be that bad though. Time will tell.

Crazy end to that game Spurs blow it at home again bet they can’t believe they’ve chucked that away.

"I don't want to analyse individuals. I don't like to do that," added Mourinho following his side's first defeat since the opening weekend of the season. hahahahah

I love the Jose circus which always end with the main clown falling on his face and i can't wait for that to happen again after what he did with Utd.

I'm baffled with Dele Alli, such potential and I thought he may step up with Jose but he's gone backwards, again. Time for a move to see if he can reignite I think.

I'm baffled with Dele Alli, such potential and I thought he may step up with Jose but he's gone backwards, again. Time for a move to see if he can reignite I think.
As long as he doesnt move in our direction. He's a nasty little bar steward

Dele is a good lad just struggled to kick on maybe got sucked into his own hype a little in that explosive breakthrough season.

Injuries and a few off field distractions (ladies) maybe haven’t helped but he’s still young all he pieces are still there for him.

I think he needs a move away a fresh start somewhere else maybe Spurs has become a bit to much of a comfort zone for him.

If you watch the amazon documentary Mourinho admits Fergie only ever told him to sign one player and that was Dele but you also kind of see a kid who has always found football easy. He had to fight to the top but looks like he’s settled maybe doesn’t have that drive in him anymore. He’s done enough to be considered good but has he got the drive to be great? These sort of players infuriate Mourinho and it will end up in tears I wonder if Spurs might be the club where Mourinho actually gets his way over players.

Dele has certainly shown, with the right mindset, he could perform.

Not sure who would go for him, I think he'd do well under Arteta but that move isn't happening. We won't go near him I doubt. It's really Chelsea or overseas. He'd probably do really well at PSG.

Dele has certainly shown, with the right mindset, he could perform.

Not sure who would go for him, I think he'd do well under Arteta but that move isn't happening. We won't go near him I doubt. It's really Chelsea or overseas. He'd probably do really well at PSG.

His best football came as a number 10 off Kane just close to goal but not many teams play the number 10 anymore and workrate is an issue for him. He doesn’t press from the front which will put a lot of teams off him.

I do agree hard to see where exactly he goes.

Dele is a good lad just struggled to kick on maybe got sucked into his own hype a little in that explosive breakthrough season.

Injuries and a few off field distractions (ladies) maybe haven’t helped but he’s still young all he pieces are still there for him.

I think he needs a move away a fresh start somewhere else maybe Spurs has become a bit to much of a comfort zone for him.

If you watch the amazon documentary Mourinho admits Fergie only ever told him to sign one player and that was Dele but you also kind of see a kid who has always found football easy. He had to fight to the top but looks like he’s settled maybe doesn’t have that drive in him anymore. He’s done enough to be considered good but has he got the drive to be great? These sort of players infuriate Mourinho and it will end up in tears I wonder if Spurs might be the club where Mourinho actually gets his way over players.
Ha and Fergie said Phil Jones was the next Duncan Edward, even the great man got it wrong sometimes.

As you say there is a good player in there but Bentleys and £100k bottles of champagnes with the ladies may seem more important these days.

Ha and Fergie said Phil Jones was the next Duncan Edward, even the great man got it wrong sometimes.

As you say there is a good player in there but Bentleys and £100k bottles of champagnes with the ladies may seem more important these days.

Injuries wrecked Phil Jones career he was a player with serious potential when he emerged yes the Edwards comparison was ridiculous but Fergie wouldn’t throw that statement around without being blown away. Injury took away his chances of becoming a great player.

Think it’s an issue with a lot of player just getting to the prem takes years of dedication and in one contract you are set for life. Once that contract is in the bag keeping that motivation and focus to dedicate yourself 24/7 must be tough.

Is Mourinho about to prove everyone that's doubted him wrong. 2 points off of first. It would certainly put a hit on Poch's credentials as this team isn't as good as the one Poch had as the defence is quite woeful.

Most goals scored. Could very conceivable be top after 8 played with this weekends fixtures.

And also show how awful our club is run.

I always said, along with a few others, he needed more time and the players he wanted to be bought, and the ones he didn't sold. He had problems with Pogba, Shaw, Martial. And we still have problems with those 3. He played the way he did because of the players we had. And in many ways Ole is having to do the same.

I do think he is a bit inflamatory though.

Big worry for united united if the do stupidly get Poch, Deli arrives after how he spoke of him last night. :eek:

I was glad to see the back of Mourinho, the club had become highly toxic and i laid the blame for that largely at his door. However the pain subsides with time and I wish him well with the rest of his career.
People seriously underestimate the task Ole has in restoring the club from what it was when he arrived given the conditions in which he has to do it.

IDFD...
...being top after 8 games, 18 games, 28 games... so what!!
...38 games is when it counts.
And your constant Poch snipping...
...does this mean you don’t RATE him???
Surely not...

If he has Kane and Son fit all season he's got a chance but it's likely that at some point one or both will be out and then it'll be how well he can cope because those two are lethal.

I think eventually cracks will form and it's how he handles those cracks which will determine how the team recovers will he explode in rage as per normal or will he be able to recover and go again.

I've watched Spurs a few times they don't look particularly great but they get the job done if Liverpool aren't able to go 90 points plus then Spurs could easily be in the fight at the end of the season.

Europa League is a big advantage to Spurs this season as he can change the team midweek and keep his big hitters fresh whereas the clubs in the CL can't really rotate as much so I think it will be really tough this season for Liverpool/City to go above 90 points like they have done in recent seasons.

If they can sustain this start they've got a real shot just like any team if you want to win the league now you have to get off to a good start the days of staging a bit come back after Xmas are long gone it's a sprint now get ahead and stay ahead.

IDFD...
...being top after 8 games, 18 games, 28 games... so what!!
...38 games is when it counts.
And your constant Poch snipping...
...does this mean you don’t RATE him???
Surely not...

Being involved in a title race would bring a lot more excitement to everyone. Being top after 8 games is certainly better than sitting in the bottom half.

I don't rate Poch and couldn't believe people wanted to sack a winner in Mourinho to bring him in. It was unbelievable. Spurs certainly went the right way when it comes to those two.

Being involved in a title race would bring a lot more excitement to everyone. Being top after 8 games is certainly better than sitting in the bottom half.

I don't rate Poch and couldn't believe people wanted to sack a winner in Mourinho to bring him in. It was unbelievable. Spurs certainly went the right way when it comes to those two.

I sort of see this a bit like his second season with us we held on to City's coat tails for about 10 games then wobbled and they disappeared into the distance. We had a title race for about 2 months then it was over even though we ended up second.

The challenge for Spurs will be avoiding that wobble and keeping pace with Liverpool who look like they'll be the pace setter again even with the injuries.

I guess from Utd's point the frustration is if City/Liverpool have the wobbles this season only only get into the 80's in terms of points total it'll be gutting not to be there to punish that. That's how I guess Spurs/Arsenal feel about the season Leicester won it that season it was really anyone's title as Utd/City/Chelsea who had all imploded just weren't at the races.

IDFD...
...we know you don’t rate Poch, and that’s fine. At the highest level of the game you could be right.
But when you sacked Jose, who came in?
Are Ole’s credentials superior? I know he was supposed to be short term but...
...you sacked a “winner” in Jose, and replaced him with someone who, in my view, is inferior to Poch.

IDFD...
...we know you don’t rate Poch, and that’s fine. At the highest level of the game you could be right.
But when you sacked Jose, who came in?
Are Ole’s credentials superior? I know he was supposed to be short term but...
...you sacked a “winner” in Jose, and replaced him with someone who, in my view, is inferior to Poch.

The man was a cancer killing our club from the inside it was so toxic he had to go. Ole came in as an interim to see out the remainder of that season something which I think should have been the end of the road for him but a few good wins and the club made a snap decision to give him the job full time.

Of course Poch has a superior track record to Ole even IDFD will admit that but I accept his doubt about taking him on to replace Ole if we decide to change as his record was getting close but not getting over the line.

jsp...
...agree about Jose, he was even more poisonous in Madrid. Couldn’t get him out fast enough.
Poch will, soon enough, land a big job.
If he gets the backing (which didn’t happen at Spurs) he will do well.
And win trophies...

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back